Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ironic that he was far better than what we've had for most of the season yet their goal still came from that side and him not stopping the cross (obviously Lascelles being out-jumped is still a big part of them scoring)

Again he should have been subbed 20 minutes earlier when he was physically done. Till that point nothing got past him.

Guest Biggsbond14
14 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He was very solid till around the 70th minute when he was clearly out of gas, and again can’t blame him after so long out. Blame lies with Howe who should have taken him off.

I said around about then he was shattered in the live feed 

Don’t think we’ve ever had a more consistent player. Defensively rock solid without being superb.

Passing more than questionable once attempting further than 10 yards.

Been like this for 5+ years. Hasn’t improved/declined.

16 minutes ago, SteV said:

Don’t think we’ve ever had a more consistent player. Defensively rock solid without being superb.

Passing more than questionable once attempting further than 10 yards.

Been like this for 5+ years. Hasn’t improved/declined.

The most consistent thing about him over the last five years is him being injured. 

Dummett will lead us to the promised land. 

And likely back up from the Championship too. Great performance at the weekend for someone out so long. It was a mistake to leave him on when he was clearly gassed. Every Lewis instead of Almiron would have made more sense.

He’s actually a decent option at LB in Howe’s preferred system. He can do alright defensively in a 4 man backline and having ASM at the same side means he doesn’t have to support that much in attack. If ASM needs support Joelinton can provide that.

I could do without seeing his trademark turn to the sideline followed by a blind hoof with his left foot when under the slightest pressure but that’s never going to go away at this point. Being solid defensively is probably the top priority for a LB at this situation if we can’t sign a new LB. 

Howe wants to give him a new deal.

Sigh. At a non Ashley NUFC that's criminal imo. Half a season at best every year and we're going to extend his stay. Where's the room for new players if we keep all the current squad.

He can actually deliver a decent cross on the rare occasions he gets that far up the pitch. Getting there is the problem, he's horrible at carrying the ball. Won't ever let you down defensively though. 

I'd give him a year's extension like. He's the only person at the club competent at defending other than perhaps Fernandez. I'd sooner ship out the dickheads gifting the opposition goals week after week than him, although long term he's clearly nowhere near good enough and unreliable from an injury standpoint.

Edited by Pilko

Apparently during his time out trying to get fit he was training with some of the academy/younger lads also out injured and helped them with the mental side of being out. I’d rather not give him a new deal mind. 

52 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Apparently during his time out trying to get fit he was training with some of the academy/younger lads also out injured and helped them with the mental side of being out. I’d rather not give him a new deal mind. 

Yeah I'm not sure what message it's sending if Howe is allegedly giving out new contracts to the likes of Dummett and Longstaff. We need to be looking forwards not backwards. Plus he's massively injury prone. 

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yeah I'm not sure what message it's sending if Howe is allegedly giving out new contracts to the likes of Dummett and Longstaff. We need to be looking forwards not backwards. Plus he's massively injury prone. 

ASM, Dubravka, Wood, Tripper, Joelinton and Wilson aside, the rest need replaced/sold on really.

On 15/01/2022 at 21:12, Kid Icarus said:

Ironic that he was far better than what we've had for most of the season yet their goal still came from that side and him not stopping the cross (obviously Lascelles being out-jumped is still a big part of them scoring)

First game in a long time, harsh to judge his contribution in the 88th minute. Probably shouldn't have been on the pitch by that point.

17 hours ago, Pata said:

He’s actually a decent option at LB in Howe’s preferred system. He can do alright defensively in a 4 man backline and having ASM at the same side means he doesn’t have to support that much in attack. If ASM needs support Joelinton can provide that.

I could do without seeing his trademark turn to the sideline followed by a blind hoof with his left foot when under the slightest pressure but that’s never going to go away at this point. Being solid defensively is probably the top priority for a LB at this situation if we can’t sign a new LB. 

Good points ASM likes the ball into feet and Dummett likes to do the simple things like that. He could be just what ASM needs on that side.

You would always assume that bringing off ASM for Almiron would shore things up, but taking off ASM apparently gave them more freedom to attack that side.

Football, Saint, is a funny old game.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

I would. He's versatile, loyal and reliable, and will always give his best. A more than worthy squad player. I'd obviously hope we didn't rely on him too much, but I'd be more than happy to see him come on [either LB or as a third CB] for the last 10mins to secure a 2-0 win.