Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I would. He's versatile, loyal and reliable, and will always give his best. A more than worthy squad player. I'd obviously hope we didn't rely on him too much, but I'd be more than happy to see him come on [either LB or as a third CB] for the last 10mins to secure a 2-0 win.

I’d rather give Lewis a chance and ideally sign a player for that position who will be fit and available to play, his injury record is piss poor and we need to be letting players like him go. 

2 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

Howe wants to give him a new deal.

Sigh. At a non Ashley NUFC that's criminal imo. Half a season at best every year and we're going to extend his stay. Where's the room for new players if we keep all the current squad.

:jones:

Just now, HTT II said:

I’d rather give Lewis a chance and ideally sign a player for that position who will be fit and available to play, his injury record is piss poor and we need to be letting players like him go. 

So would I, but Lewis is himself returning from injury and we want to learn from the error of keeping a tiring LB on the pitch in the last 10mins of a game. I see no need to hurry his departure. For me, the benefit of playing 3CBs is to allow your WBs to attack, Dummett is the ideal [ not perfect] LCB in that system. 

Dummett's alright; he's always been alright. No gripes at all in him getting an extension. At the weekend he instantly reminded everyone that (depressingly, I know) he's currently our best option in that position, but hopefully in the future he'll be backup. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Dummett's alright; he's always been alright. No gripes at all in him getting an extension. At the weekend he instantly reminded everyone that (depressingly, I know) he's currently our best option in that position, but hopefully in the future he'll be backup. 

I'm still amazed that he's not still  a youngster from the reserves. 

Just now, gjohnson said:

I'm still amazed that he's not still  a youngster from the reserves. 

30?!

I thought 28 or 29. 

Yeah I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to see out his career with the club. Maybe move into coaching. He's unlucky that his career has coincided with one of the worst periods in our history, and yes he's a reminder of the stench, but I believe he is reliable enough to cleanse himself in the next 2-3 years.

I think people are missing the crux of my biggest issue here. 

No one is going to buy anyone from our squad. If we don't let Longstaff and Dummett expire, we're going to have no room to add anyone to the squad and be stuck with the same stuff. 

He's lucky that his career coincided with one of the worst periods in our history IMO, otherwise he would have been sold to a Burnley long ago 

Sadly we are still buying first team players from the likes of Burnley, rather than shipping our unwanted players off to them.

Just now, Sean said:

He's lucky that his career coincided with one of the worst periods in our history IMO, otherwise he would have been sold to a Burnley long ago 

Sadly we are still buying first team players from the likes of Burnley, rather than shipping our unwanted players off to them.

In the good old days, he'd have been a David Beharell at best

3 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I think people are missing the crux of my biggest issue here. 

No one is going to buy anyone from our squad. If we don't let Longstaff and Dummett expire, we're going to have no room to add anyone to the squad and be stuck with the same stuff. 

Hendrick, Hayden, Krafth, Gillespie, Clark, Gayle. 6 players out.

Trippier, Wood, 2 new CBs, New CM, New wide forward. 6 players in.

The rest can be U21s. And we can look at getting rid of Ritchie, Schar, Darlow, Woodman, Shelvey, Fraser, Manquillo, Murphy, that's 8 off the top of my head.

3 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

2024 till Hendrick expires for example

2026 for Hayden ffs. We're absolutely lumbered with deadwood that we won't be able to move. 

Hayden will find a club, no problem. Just ditch Hendrick, what's it going to cost? 8 million?

Worth a crack at centre half and take our chances with Ritchie/Krafth at full-back to shift Lascelles.

Though that's the club, just when we sort the full-back postions there's consideration to put one centre-half to plug that hole. There's just no putting a team out that doesn't contain dreck.

Like shifting a picture around the wall trying to cover up all the stains left us as if in a Brucey flat which metaphorically we kinda are.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Always been average but getting into Andy Carroll territory now. We improved massively when he went off defensively and going forward. If he wasn’t an academy product he’d have left the club ages ago and been at some mid-table Championship club. 

Not really, we’ve given new contracts to loads of bad players. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Always been average but getting into Andy Carroll territory now. We improved massively when he went off defensively and going forward. If he wasn’t an academy product he’d have left the club ages ago and been at some mid-table Championship club. 

There's a reason we're after a left-back. The lad is coming back after eons out, so I want to cut him some slack, but he's always just been a serviceable defensive fullback.