Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

I've worked on his house before and had a bit craic with him. He's a sound lad to be fair and he was on about his injuries.

He was basically saying he was going to cut the drink out and give it one last crack at overcoming his reoccurring calf injury and then if it comes back at least he knows hes done all he can :lol:

Hell of a house mind. 

12 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

The only way he should be starting is if he plays on the left of three CBs. Hopefully by the time Everton come to SJP we’ll either have a new LB or Lewis will be back in.

Agreed. Hes just forfeiting all the space to the opponents RW. He's good enough at tackling/blocking crosses, but with a bit more composure yesterday Leeds should have punished us. 

Wouldnt mind keeping him on as a squad player for next season, but dont want to see him at left back again. Should be Manquillos spot to lose until we buy a new LB

Even when he does play, he's an okay defender but a crap footballer. Hopefully the days of 'hangers on' at the club, will be over in the near future. 'Nice lad' or 'local lad' shouldn't be the requirement, to get an extended contract.

I think it's the opposite with Dummett tbh, he's been a solid defender for us for nearly a decade while getting constant abuse :lol:

Rafinha turned him inside out a few times yesterday and it wasn't good to see, he played well against Watford but his pace and agility might be gone now (or he might just not be fit). Under Howe I don't think there's really room for him anyway unless he ever starts using a back 3 with any frequency. Even more so if Manquillo performs like he did yesterday.

EDIT: Constant abuse probably isn't fair like, but there's always been a tendency for people to ignore how solid he has been defensively.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Upgrade him and let his contract expire. Good defender but poor footballer. If he wasn’t so Injury prone I’d say keep him as a backup whilst we transition to a club that challenges the top end but as he spends long periods unavailable that takes s slot without adding much value. Overall a good pro and servant to the club when called upon.

I get it’s daft to be sentimental in football but I hope for him that he gets over his injury and can contribute to the season and staying up.

It’d be good for us, and also I’d want him to get the best move he can, if/when he leaves. 

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think it's the opposite with Dummett tbh, he's been a solid defender for us for nearly a decade while getting constant abuse :lol:

Rafinha turned him inside out a few times yesterday and it wasn't good to see, he played well against Watford but his pace and agility might be gone now (or he might just not be fit). Under Howe I don't think there's really room for him anyway unless he ever starts using a back 3 with any frequency. Even more so if Manquillo performs like he did yesterday.

EDIT: Constant abuse probably isn't fair like, but there's always been a tendency for people to ignore how solid he has been defensively.

TBF people on here wouldn't be demanding we sign Rafinha if he couldn't get past Dummett once or twice.

Another likeable lad who isn't good enough for where we want to be. My overriding memory of him is whenever he played LB he would always just hoof it down the line and we'd lose possession. Loves a slide tackle though so gets Passion Points.

Edit- I realise I'm talking like he's gone already :lol: but as I didn't watch much football in the last few years, that's what I mean by "memory".

Edited by SiLvOR

Don't get the 'better players than Dummett' angle... Correct yes, but those better players don't play for us. Paul Dummett plays for us (still) and it's our problem when he gets spun silly. Fortunately it didn't cost us.

To reverse the statement - Plenty worse players than Raphinha will rinse Dummett, and I will hold it against him. 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was poor. But it was a hard game to come into and ASM defended even less than usual. Kind of hung out to dry, a bit. 

Not sure if it was by design, leaving ASM up or just him not fancying it. As Joelinton was helping out even more than usual on the left. ASM barely came back into our half after Dummett came on. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Thought he was solid considering he was thrown into the game and had no winger supporting him. Got some crucial blocks in. 

Aye, Dummett is a solid back-up option now.  And you have to consider that he was just coming back (again) from injury so isn't close to being fully match sharp.