Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Roberto Carlos isn't the undisputed GOAT in that position anyway really. There are plenty of other contenders above Carlos, with others who were defensively solid while still contributing going forward, most notably Maldini and even the likes of Ashley Cole.

Lahm too.

Guest firetotheworks

Lahm was just a cracking footballer all round wasn't he? Class at right back and in midfield as well. I can't think of a more reliable utility player in the modern game after him and Milner.

The ‘balanced’ left back is hard to find. Cole, Lahm etc.  And although Cole was good going forward he wasn’t close to a Marcelo.

Players like Marcelo and Lahm would’ve come played in midfield for loads of teams. Lahm did iirc.

I agree with the person that said PD suits oursystem which is defensive first. 

Guest firetotheworks

Marcelo is absolutely amazing, better than Lahm IMO

I must be missing a lot with Marcelo tbh. Need to see more because when I do see him I'm just meh.

I must be missing a lot with Marcelo tbh. Need to see more because when I do see him I'm just meh.

Mental that, nee offence. He can be got at defensively because he gets forward so much but he's often the best player on the pitch in big CL games IMO

Guest neesy111

Marcelo is excellent.

Guest firetotheworks

Mental that, nee offence. He can be got at defensively because he gets forward so much but he's often the best player on the pitch in big CL games IMO

I get what you mean, I just wouldn't put a defender that can be got at defensively in the 'better than Lahm etc' bracket. Might just be personal preference that I prefer full backs that can do both.

I get what you mean, I just wouldn't put a defender that can be got at defensively in the 'better than Lahm etc' bracket. Might just be personal preference that I prefer full backs that can do both.

I always felt Lahm was a bit overrated, technically excellent at everything and solid as they come but lacked the overall influence of a Dani Alves or Marcelo IMO

Guest firetotheworks

I always felt Lahm was a bit overrated, technically excellent at everything and solid as they come but lacked the overall influence of a Dani Alves or Marcelo IMO

Dani Alves is a different kettle of fish for me, he couldn't really be got at defensively, which is why for me he's the best right back I've seen, whereas I'm not as convinced by Marcelo, admittedly maybe because I've watched far less of him, Champions League aside.

The ‘balanced’ left back is hard to find. Cole, Lahm etc.  And although Cole was good going forward he wasn’t close to a Marcelo.

Players like Marcelo and Lahm would’ve come played in midfield for loads of teams. Lahm did iirc.

Rafa always puts a high price on defence, but he also wants a team that can pass out of defence. I don't think he would have wanted someone like Dummett in his Liverpool side for example.

Rafa always puts a high price on defence, but he also wants a team that can pass out of defence. I don't think he would have wanted someone like Dummett in his Liverpool side for example.

No, I doubt he would have wanted Paul Dummett in his CL winning side.  In the same way many fans would suck off a tramp to see some of 2005 Liverpool's players who weren't even in the 1st team play for us.

Lahm was just a cracking footballer all round wasn't he? Class at right back and in midfield as well. I can't think of a more reliable utility player in the modern game after him and Milner.

He started out at left back (i think), my first memory of him was scoring a wonder goal in the world cup cutting in from the left.

Think it was the opening game of 06 WC, might be wrong.

But yea, class all round player.

Lahm>Marcelo for me.

He's actually a worse footballer than Ciaran Clark in terms of on the ball. Impressive, that.

He offers us nowt. The fact we had to try and use the cross field ball to Manquillo because he’s so inept says a lot. But he can tackle so it’s all ok. A further threat down the left makes us a much better team. I hardly saw Dummett at all today but for a couple of crap late crosses.

There are plenty of cheapish LBs who are decently competent at both ends of the pitch but we spend fuck all on player

I don’t think this is true.  In 15 years we’ve had 2 better leftbacks than PD. 

That Bryan fella today was decent. The Wolves fullback was decent. That Neil Taylor guy was decent. I’m not even naming the what if’s either.

PD is a good defensive player I’ve never ever doubted that. But his fitness record isn’t ideal and we lack quality and pace out wide in depth.

There are plenty of cheapish LBs who are decently competent at both ends of the pitch but we spend f*** all on player

I don’t think this is true.  In 15 years we’ve had 2 better leftbacks than PD. 

That Bryan fella today was decent. The Wolves fullback was decent. That Neil Taylor guy was decent. I’m not even naming the what if’s either.

PD is a good defensive player I’ve never ever doubted that. But his fitness record isn’t ideal and we lack quality and pace out wide in depth.

Neil Taylor is absolute pig wank.

Aye and this is because you simply don't get fullbacks as good at attacking as Marcelo. It's not just passing and crossing, he's genuinely as talented a footballer as you'll come across. First touch, vision, creativity. I always felt Alves was unstoppable coming onto the ball from deep.  But when he was already pushed on and receiving the ball to feet. He'd need to find another way to make a good run or something. Marcelo can damage you in any way.

I agree with Triggs. Lahm was a top notch but solid player. Marcelo and Alves would regularly be far more influential. If Lahm played elsewhere it would be as a CM, great technically but intelligently tidying things up. Marcelo would be a number 10 pulling the strings, being creative. which is a lot more fun imo.