Indiscipline in our players

LRD

First match of the season and we already have Steven Taylor sent off, suspended for 3 matches. Along with Taylor, we also saw in the same match petulant behaviour or very evident frustration from Debuchy, MYM, Sissoko.

This seems to be a recurrent theme from last season. Debuchy, Colo, Cabaye, Tiote have all shown similar before. Could this stem from just pure frustration in our game and/or manager or it's part of their player personality? It seems that the confrontational nature of our manager and coaching staff has rubbed off to the players. We have seen Pardew, Carver and Woodman being antagonistic towards other coaches and part of the officiating team even. A manager's personality does affect the players he has, Mourinho is a good example of that. If our manager can't even control his anger, I can't see how our players will do the same.

There is an obvious need to cut down on the unnecessary fouls and cards that we get. Debuchy's foul lead to the FK goal on Monday. We also lost many players to suspensions last season, a situation we can ill-afford due to the lack of squad depth. It all starts with the coaching staff imo.

The players are very frustrated. A lot of our red cards/bookings are down to frustration. Some of them  have personal problems (Colo last year), some of them are stupid (Tiote, Taylor) some are naturally rash (Debuchy) but all of them are petulant and do silly frustrated things.

I don't blame Pardew for everything. But the discipline of his side reflects poorly on him. For such a dirty team we are weak as piss. Cabaye/Debuchy sum up our lot. BVut at least Cabaye/Tiote put a foot in.

LOL, it's just almost impossible to find a table where we're actually "up there" :)

We'd be fairly high up in terms of yellow cards. We'd also fair pretty well in the injury table.

Think we're looking at being high up for good things.  :lol:

The  problem is the clear disconnect throughout the team and how they play. eg the defence find it difficult to play out due to the midfield not making themselves available for a pass by running into space, result hoofball. However this is nothing compared to the disconnect between the isolated forwards and midfield where Cisse is totally on his own.The whole mess is compounded by players being played out of position. Whose fault is it...... without the incompetent manager we have. With the squad we have a good manager would have them playing to a system. Training would improve free kick opportunities, even our throw ins are at times diabolical. And please can someone show them how to take a corner.

Rant over but what use is it in signing more players when Pardew will misuse them over and over again.

Don't like the way Pardew has seemingly just laughed off the Taylor incident, seen some quotes earlier where he said he thought it was silly and that he said sorry to the lads as if it was just a bit of a laugh or something, probably me just reading too much into it but I think he should have been given a level 10 bollocking not just patted on the back and told it was silly.

No wonder our players seem to like Pardew so much they probably just get away with anything they want.

Debuchy did it v Liverpool last season. Unluckily for him he got a second yellow and not the straight red he wanted. Tayor on Monday did the same and got his just reward.

For me these players don't want to be a part of what is going on. It looked to me like Taylor beat others to the punchline. Debuchy was looking favourite for me.

We're unprofessional at boardroom level, and unprofessional at coaching level, so I'd be surprised if the players were any different. The question for me is whether Pardew has lost the players, one of the main arguments in his favour is his relationship with them, but the way they get pissed off and give up so easily doesn't make sense. If they liked the manager so much I would expect more spirited performances.

It's not like it's just a few players either, it's at least half of them. Cisse is another one that kept losing his cool last season.

His relationship with the players is doing us no favours whatsoever.

:sadnod:

As the old saying goes.... its never good for the players to be chummy with the manager.

In fact when that starts happening you can bet your arse something is wrong as it shows with everything about this team.

Guest bimpy474

Surrender possession as much as we do means you are tackling more, to try to win it back or keep them out. Keep the fucking ball and no fouls need to be.

Surrender possession as much as we do means you are tackling more, to try to win it back or keep them out. Keep the fucking ball and no fouls need to be.

That's part of it, the other is that Pardew loves a tackle because he doesn't really have any idea how to set a team up to press properly. If you do that effectively, you shouldn't have to do much tackling at all. We are absolutely fucking hopeless at it, incredibly poor.

The  problem is the clear disconnect throughout the team and how they play. eg the defence find it difficult to play out due to the midfield not making themselves available for a pass by running into space, result hoofball. However this is nothing compared to the disconnect between the isolated forwards and midfield where Cisse is totally on his own.The whole mess is compounded by players being played out of position. Whose fault is it...... without the incompetent manager we have. With the squad we have a good manager would have them playing to a system. Training would improve free kick opportunities, even our throw ins are at times diabolical. And please can someone show them how to take a corner.

Rant over but what use is it in signing more players when Pardew will misuse them over and over again.

We're unprofessional at boardroom level, and unprofessional at coaching level, so I'd be surprised if the players were any different. The question for me is whether Pardew has lost the players, one of the main arguments in his favour is his relationship with them, but the way they get p*ssed off and give up so easily doesn't make sense. If they liked the manager so much I would expect more spirited performances.

It's not like it's just a few players either, it's at least half of them. Cisse is another one that kept losing his cool last season.

This - all of it on the button.

Pardew's been called out before at previous clubs for being too matey with his players (insert joke about wags, etc).

He's got to do it imo as he has no other way to get any message across to them at all. There's literally f**k all to respect about him as a former player and nothing in his managerial 'legacy'. There's nothing to him. Nothing to instill a bit of awe/respect. He knows this so he goes for the buddy buddy route. Not helping.

His relationship with the players is doing us no favours whatsoever.

Get the impression he fancies himself as 'one of the lads'.

Guest bimpy474

That's part of it, the other is that Pardew loves a tackle because he doesn't really have any idea how to set a team up to press properly. If you do that effectively, you shouldn't have to do much tackling at all. We are absolutely fucking hopeless at it, incredibly poor.

True and the way football is now, any kind of hardish tackle is deemed a foul winning the ball or not. You dont really need a tackle as such. Being able to do it sufficently is enough (as most players should be able to) but being a good player on the ball is more important. Keep the ball and hurt the other team with it.