The Newcastle Online Emo Experiment 2013/14 - After GW11

Interpolic

Me prattling on:

As promised, I thought it would be interesting to keep a record of where NUFC are in the real world vs N-O's expectations as per the most popular vote in each poll which you'll have now seen in the pre-match threads.  I work in data and have grown to quite like spreadsheets, so this might make my season bearable.

My hope is that we won't be looking at mugs like Zach Morris for very long but will soon be greeted by a miserable emo as all of our hopes and dreams are surpassed.

After GW20, 9 points and 2 places better off than predicted by the Emos at N-O:

http://imgur.com/YFIJUnN.jpg

Previous game weeks:

GW1:

http://i.imgur.com/acvy09f.jpg

GW2:

http://i.imgur.com/9gzOBsR.jpg

GW3:

http://i.imgur.com/vPp7nWH.jpg

GW4:

http://imgur.com/8NzseWx.jpg

GW11:

http://i.imgur.com/WYM9aA6.jpg

Limitations:

- Mods fucked with me for the Man City game, therefore I had to assume the common consensus was that we'd lose by 3+.  Fairly comfortable in that assumption, but the mods made my life a lot more difficult and it looked very much like Andy's work if you fucking ask me.

- Having Win / Lose by 3+ as the maximum means it dilutes the goal difference in the table somewhat, Man City away being the perfect example.  The forum predicted a loss of 3+, however it actually looks like their prediction was more postive than the actual outcome.  Nowt we can do about this IMO because extending the poll options would mean the results were more strangely distributed, i.e. most football games do not end up with a margin of more than 3 goals, so splitting it into 3/4/5/6 or whatever will just mean it's less likely that we'll get a majority vote for what people actually mean, which is a hammering one way or the other.  It's only goal difference man, leave me alone. :lol:

In all seriousness, this is a pretty interesting experiment tbh. Would be nice/awful to see a statistic of just how far expectations have dropped. Online is very different to SJP but we represent a fairly broad dynamic, imo.

Nice one.

I'm confused by the N-O Predictions Table, when we didnt predict the other 9 matches.

Good idea, though. I'll get the razor blades....

Aye fair comment but there's not really any way around it short of getting votes for each game. 

It's more about expectations for our own fixtures than any of the other games. :thup:

:lol: This is going to be grim fucking reading at the end of the season.

:sadnod:

We either do better than expected and prove that we're all cunts, or we do as expected/worse than expected, and we get relegated.

:'(

We either do better than expected and prove that we're all cunts, or we do as expected/worse than expected, and we get relegated.

:lol: Right? No win here. IP just made the year way worse.

:lol: Right? No win here. IP just made the year way worse.

:lol: tho these 2 posts may prove we're definitely emo as fuck

I'm confused by the N-O Predictions Table, when we didnt predict the other 9 matches.

Aye fair comment but there's not really any way around it short of getting votes for each game. 

You could take the consensus from what people think in the prediction league.

Interesting thread though.

:lol: This is going to be grim f***ing reading at the end of the season.

As long as there is no play off system to decide who is the most emo i'm good.

:lol: Not allowed to say anything. (You'd fucking love it.)

As promised, I thought it would be interesting to keep a record of where NUFC are in the real world vs N-O's expectations as per the most popular vote in each poll which you'll have now seen in the pre-match threads.  I work in data and have grown to quite like spreadsheets, so this might make my season bearable.

My hope is that we won't be looking at mugs like Zach Morris for very long but will soon be greeted by a miserable emo as all of our hopes and dreams are surpassed.

In all seriousness though, will be interesting. :thup:

:lol: I'm not sure tbh, we're all at a bit of a low ebb at the minute but I'm sure last season there were loads of games where the expectation was that we would win, and we... erm... lost, so hang on - what was I getting at again?

Sem nailed it, tbh. We're either doom and gloom assholes, or we're spot on and down. :lol: Fucking thing.

You could take the consensus from what people think in the prediction league.

Interesting thread though.

I had considered that but then I realised that I already have a full time job. :lol:

I think we just need to assume that every other game goes as God intended, we might have a vested interest but it's not our team so we're not tied up to the extent we're making predictions.

PS Moke and Tex Mex R Emos.