Psychics

TheGuv

There are plenty who claim to be and obviously aren't and I'm sure plenty of people on here will say it's a load of old tosh....

But has anybody had a good experience of them? Have they told you anything something that they couldn't just 'cold read'? Have they said something that has in fact come true?

I'm quite interested because my brother just came back from one this evening and he seems to think the stuff he was saying was to much to have been guessed.

FWiW I don't think it's all bollox, I think there is a certain amount of merit in it. The police employ psychics occasionally and I don't think it's much of a stretch to think perhaps people have access to stuff on a diff level to your normal person. Depends very much on the concept of time/reality I suppose.

90% of them are frauds IMO but I certainly don't think it's a complete stretch

:joey:

FWiW I don't think it's all bollox, I think there is a certain amount of merit in it. The police employ psychics occasionally and I don't think it's much of a stretch to think perhaps people have access to stuff on a diff level to your normal person. Depends very much on the concept of time/reality I suppose.

Nice try. Maybe Haz will bite. Not going to bother. :lol:

UK police have as far as I'm concerned made a point of stating they've never accepted help from psychics. The Norwegian police made a statement last year when there was a dissapereance that got a lot of media attention that they did not want any tips from anyone claiming to be psychic as they did not want to spend resources looking into the tips (they check out every tip in cases like that) when they always end up being bollocks.

Recall a news article about the FBI stating that any tips from anyone claiming to be psychic had no more success rate than tips they got from random people  a while back as well.

UK police have as far as I'm concerned made a point of stating they've never accepted help from psychics. The Norwegian police made a statement last year when there was a dissapereance that got a lot of media attention that they did not want any tips from anyone claiming to be psychic as they did not want to spend resources looking into the tips (they check out every tip in cases like that) when they always end up being bollocks.

Guess which country does use them though  :whistle:

:lol: I'm being serious like! I just don't think you can completely rule something out.  Im fairly open minded (conspiracy theories aside). The ones you see down a pub, fair one, as a concept and a possibility you can say with 100 percent certainty that's its beyond the realms of human possibility IMO of course

Well you sort of can really, can't you? There is no such thing as zombies, humans can't levitate, people cannot walk on water, there isn't really a tooth fairy, Joe Kinnear isn't competent in anything to do with football.

Its pretty easy to rule out stuff iyam.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8369369.stm

Again, I think 90% are complete frauds but you can't rule something out based on that.

I didn't get very far through that article but what I did read was a "Psychic" claiming he definitely helped solve cases and various police forces being "vague".

Pretty much nailed on, you've changed my mind :lol:

Edit: I read the whole article, what a load of shit :lol:

:lol: I'm being serious like! I just don't think you can completely rule something out.  Im fairly open minded (conspiracy theories aside). The ones you see down a pub, fair one, as a concept and a possibility you can say with 100 percent certainty that's its beyond the realms of human possibility IMO of course

Well you sort of can really, can't you? There is no such thing as zombies, humans can't levitate, people cannot walk on water, there isn't really a tooth fairy, Joe Kinnear isn't competent in anything to do with football.

Its pretty easy to rule out stuff iyam.

Not really, there is no absolute truth. Humans can't levitate now, but you can not say for 100% fact it's beyond our capabilities, science permitting?

Hope you're on the wum. Really, really hope you are.

Again, I think 90% are complete frauds but you can't rule something out based on that.

Well, there should be easy ways of setting up experiments to verify it.

Round up all the psychics who claim they helped the police solve this case or that case  - don't bother with the verification as to whether or not they helped (they haven't) we just want bodies at this point. There should be a few kicking about.

Show them a picture of a family friends daughter, who is actually alive and well. Say she's been taken, can the psychic offer any advice at all. 100% guarantee you, it will be entirely wrong or so vague as to be useless. And every psychic will give a different version of it.

Oh, but their psychic vibes were off because you were deceiving them, you say. Very well, show them a picture of a child who was kidnapped, later found and has since moved. Tell the psychic the child was kidnapped(true) and you want to know where they are today.  Again, I promise you your results will be 100% incorrect or uselessly vague, and all of them will be different.

Ah but the excuses keep coming, don't they? The psychic was thrown off because I didn't believe hard enough in their powers. There were negative vibes in the room. It doesn't work on Tuesdays. So on and so forth.

Truth be told, for every objection you can raise on the matter it's possible to formulate a test that accounts for it. And all the results will always be wrong/vague and different between psychics.

It's bunk until you show me a consistently accurate psychic.

Ignoring the fact we are talking about psychics and the present day (not what scientists might do in the future), I am confident humans will never be able to fly without some sort of external man made equipment.

Feel free to quote the shit out of my post when it happens though.

Round up all the psychics who claim they helped the police solve this case or that case  - don't bother with the verification as to whether or not they helped (they haven't) we just want bodies at this point. There should be a few kicking about.

Show them a picture of a family friends daughter, who is actually alive and well. Say she's been taken, can the psychic offer any advice at all. 100% guarantee you, it will be entirely wrong or so vague as to be useless. And every psychic will give a different version of it.

Oh, but their psychic vibes were off because you were deceiving them, you say. Very well, show them a picture of a child who was kidnapped, later found and has since moved. Tell the psychic the child was kidnapped(true) and you want to know where they are today.  Again, I promise you your results will be 100% incorrect or uselessly vague, and all of them will be different.

Ah but the excuses keep coming, don't they? The psychic was thrown off because I didn't believe hard enough in their powers. There were negative vibes in the room. It doesn't work on Tuesdays. So on and so forth.

Truth be told, for every objection you can raise on the matter it's possible to formulate a test that accounts for it. And all the results will always be wrong/vague and different between psychics.

Alternatively you could just set up a blind or double blind study under scientific conditions?

Either way, I'd expect the same thing most will be vague, applicable to most people etc, based on clever use of minimal information. Most are just highly manipulative and capable of quickly assimilating information and generalisation.

I guess where we differ is I don't think it's entirely bollocks.

The thing is, these sort of tests have been set up and the psychics have failed them every time. Every time. No exception.  James Randi has made a lifetime out of exposing them. It is entirely bollocks at this point in time. No one has come forth with any kind of definitive evidence for it.

Whatever extended mental powers we might possess or evolve in the future is of no concern.

Ignoring the fact we are talking about psychics and the present day (not what scientists might do in the future), I am confident humans will never be able to fly without some sort of external man made equipment.

Feel free to quote the s*** out of my post when it happens though.

:lol:  I know but my point is that nothing is truly impossible, as we can't account for what might happen and what might become, even that prediction is incorrect, you can't possibly predict it.

Sorry but I do believe some things are truly impossible.

Alternatively you could just set up a blind or double blind study under scientific conditions?

Either way, I'd expect the same thing most will be vague, applicable to most people etc, based on clever use of minimal information. Most are just highly manipulative and capable of quickly assimilating information and generalisation.

I guess where we differ is I don't think it's entirely bollocks.

The thing is, these sort of tests have been set up and the psychics have failed them every time. Every time. No exception.  James Randi has made a lifetime out of exposing them. It is entirely bollocks at this point in time. No one has come forth with any kind of definitive evidence for it.

Whatever extended mental powers we might possess or evolve in the future is of no concern.

Yeah I've seen Randi and the prize money thing.  Again I'm suggesting that it's a possibility. It boils down to possibility for me.  I'm the most cynical person you're likely to meet, but either way if something happened to me that defied explanation I wouldn't need an experiment to tell me what I thought or didn't think so to speak.

Take ghosts for example, not a believer by any stretch of the imagination. My best mate, swears blind to this day, as do his entire family that the house they lived in was haunted, that they all saw the same figure independently.

An I just to think a guy who I've know for 15 years is a bare faced liar? Mass hallucination?

See, this is exactly what happens with these conversations. The goalposts get moved to "possibilities" because absolutely no one has any evidence of them at present. When you say "90% of them are frauds" do you mean 10% are real? You really believe 10% of psychics out there possess powers beyond normal humans. 10%. And they only occasionally use them for good, preferring instead to spend most of their days palm reading and tarot reading. And that that 10% are even sometimes remotely accurate?

Of course everything's a possibility. But that borders on a near pointless statement to make. Why do you think psychics existing is any more likely than anything else? After all it's a possibility that small dwarves materialize in your washer to clean your clothes, as opposed to water agitation. Can't rule it out, must be at least likely eh? Had a mate who liked dwarves, his mum did to, there you go. Nailed on, 10% of the time at least. :lol: I mean, it means nothing to say things like that.

I know I'm swerving sharply into dickhole territory here which is why I should have listened to my first post in this thread :( .

I just think that what we have evidence for strongly, strongly, strongly suggests such things don't exist and aren't possible, and there's not been one shred of contrary evidence. There has to be a point where we cut loose that last thread of "possibility" mooring a wild thought to the realm of reality. 

But your interpretation of something is neither here or there (which is the real point tbf).

Had a very similar conversation on Holiday with our closest friends, one of whom, claims she seen a ghost (or at least something without rational explanation)

She 100% nailed on rational but can't explain it other than she can come to no other conclusion.

Listen to this talk - (should start at 6m28s in) and listen to how she goes on about "the energy around her" and the seemingly transcendental experience and realize that it's only because she was a neuroscientist that she had any clue of what was going on.

Now cast your mind back 100 years and further, before we started to have an inkling about how the brain worked. Think of how strokes might have been interpreted in those times, when, after (potentially!) recovering there was no doctor at hospital to let you know just what had happened.

Consider that experiences like this happen to this day. When otherwise rational people have "no explanation", the truth is the explanation they don't want to admit (they were wrong/their brain fucked up) is the most likely. As our body of knowledge grows more and more the domain of the supernatural shrinks and shrinks.

Given that the only evidence of anything supernatural ever has been anecdotal, it's a fairly safe assumption to rule out the possibility of psychics.  The brain doesn't work like that.

On the contrary, it frequently does. And furthermore everyone can do it. Ever been in a pub or a crowded shopping centre and 'felt' someone staring at you, only to turn round and look straight at the person staring? The majority of us have done that at some time or another.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sense-Of-Being-Stared/dp/0099441535/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378279990&sr=8-1&keywords=the+sense+of+being+stared+at