The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Shame for Brighton as it seemed like they were onto a really good thing with him. The big 6 hoovering up anything decent happening at the rest is vile and it's not going to change. Seems like Potter is a long-term manager rather than a quick fix but I can't see him, or anyone else for that matter, lasting more than 18 months at Chelsea.

20 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He wants his head checked for brain worms if he goes there.

He'd be mad not to take it imho. Not denying his talent, but how much bigger a club could Potter realistically get? Say he says no, and Brighton fall off spectacularly this or next season. He could get sacked and then that's it, done, it's over for him in terms of getting that top top job (which Chelsea is). The job security of any PL manager is incredibly volatile, you need to cash out when your stock is high.

Regardless of Chelsea's proclivity towards sacking managers, he'll be paid well, have a huge budget to play with and actually have a chance to win things. More celebrated managers than Potter have "failed" there and their reputations remained largely intact. 

Think Potter will be great at any big club tbh, his style of football isn’t really suited to clubs without elite players (although it looks like it was starting to properly click at Brighton).

He’s set up their with the wingbacks they have and Havertz is perfect for him up top.

1 hour ago, hakka said:

Very well put. Potter should be getting a top job like Chelsea to win the league or CL etc. - but Chelsea don't give their managers time. Potter would need at least 2 years to properly change things to his way, don't really suspect they will accept not being up there immediately. 

I don't think this is true.

With the right backing - 12 months is all a manager needs to make real progress. Often less.

We've seen it with Howe, Chelsea saw it with Tuchel, Klopp, Pep, Conte. It doesn't take years and years with the right building blocks.

18 minutes ago, McCormick said:

He'd be mad not to take it imho. Not denying his talent, but how much bigger a club could Potter realistically get? Say he says no, and Brighton fall off spectacularly this or next season. He could get sacked and then that's it, done, it's over for him in terms of getting that top top job (which Chelsea is). The job security of any PL manager is incredibly volatile, you need to cash out when your stock is high.

Regardless of Chelsea's proclivity towards sacking managers, he'll be paid well, have a huge budget to play with and actually have a chance to win things. More celebrated managers than Potter have "failed" there and their reputations remained largely intact. 

Potter's stock is pretty high definitely, but he also seems to just be massively rated within the game regardless of that, I don't think that'll change too much if he stays at Brighton where he's been part of a successful mid to long term project where staff and players have been given time to improve. They fell off a bit at the tail end of last season and he's still really highly rated.

I'm not saying he shouldn't take the 'big job' when it comes along, it's just that going to Chelsea specifically with its now now now set up just seems suicidal in terms of him being given the time and opportunity to fully reach his potential. Yes, his stock might remain high after Chelsea, purely because everyone knows what Chelsea are like, but that's not the type of environment I'd have thought Potter would even consider tbh.

24 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Agree 100%. I don't really get this idea that he'd be mad to go there. Managers of his calibre will have ambitions to be the best of the best, that's not going to happen at Brighton where he'll always be restricted by budget. Chelsea is a very natural progression for Potter, and tbh he seems like such a good manager that he should succeed.

This smacks of Chelsea buying into Moneyball, especially if Chelsea bought players on metrics and not who Tuchel wanted. The thing with Moneyball and managers is that the higher a manager goes, the more it seems to be about controlling and motivating big egos and less about simple tactics.

Potter may be the best tactical manager in the league, I couldn't tell you, but he won't have worked with this level of ego. Howe with us keeps insisting he wants no arseholes in the dressing room. That is not going to show up in a player's passing stats or expected goals.

27 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Aye.

In England what are the other options? Pep & Klopp might leave but you're not going to do better than they did. Spurs? Conte will take them as far as is possible imo and the money might not be there. Otherwise that's a solid job.

Chelsea is as good a job as any imo. He must take it.

Of course it might be a bit mad to go to a club that's pissed off, ostracised, and sacked like 8 managers in the last 10 years.  Especially when it means leaving one that you've been given the time, resources, and trust to flourish at for the last 3 years and you're sitting 4th in the table. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Stottie said:

This smacks of Chelsea buying into Moneyball, especially if Chelsea bought players on metrics and not who Tuchel wanted. The thing with Moneyball and managers is that the higher a manager goes, the more it seems to be about controlling and motivating big egos and less about simple tactics.

Potter may be the best tactical manager in the league, I couldn't tell you, but he won't have worked with this level of ego. Howe with us keeps insisting he wants no arseholes in the dressing room. That is not going to show up in a player's passing stats or expected goals.

I think the bolded depends on the club but Chelsea is one of those where the cultural fit and ego management seems a massive component. It suits the A List type manager that understand you probaby get 24-36 months - your Carlo's, Conte's and Tuchel's.

Funny thing is Tuchel is not the best at managing ego's but he's on the elite club merry-go-round anyway. He'll get results.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Is this sacking in any way reasonable? I know they’ve had a bad start like, but they’ve just backed him with billions. Like, last week. 

Chelsea have played rubbish football for a good while now, and every single attacking player at that club has regressed or under-performed with Tuchel. The only one that has looked capable this season is Sterling, who Tuchel has not had time to ruin yet.

So, in a sense, it is unreasonable as a manager who won the Champions League 1.5 years ago should have earned a chance to build a team with some stability, but the reality is that no Chelsea fan will miss him. It did not seem like he had any idea of how to fix the issues they were going through this season.

Chelsea have won a dozen trophies in the last 10 years including 2 CL's, 2 FA Cups, 2 premier leagues, 2 europa leagues etc. Potter should get in on that.

Most elite managers - a good career is spending 2-3 years at a top club and winning trophies while the going is good. Top managers don't need to have a career like Klopp or Wenger and spend 5+ years at a single club.

34 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't think this is true.

With the right backing - 12 months is all a manager needs to make real progress. Often less.

We've seen it with Howe, Chelsea saw it with Tuchel, Klopp, Pep, Conte. It doesn't take years and years with the right building blocks.

Eh? Klopp took 4 years to win something at Liverpool. Pep and Conte walked in to a side already winning the league before hand and with better squads and star players.

Potter is a very different type of coach comapred to what Chelsea are used to. He isn't a star man motivator with a big ego and trophy cabinet of mangerial success. Not convinced Potter can win the league or CL by end of this season simply from being backed in January. He will need next summers window and look for winning something end of 23/24.

I wonder what the ultimate goal is for someone like Graham Potter. Is it just to manage one of the so-called Big 6 clubs because 'elite' = desirable? The England job? Getting major club honours with someone regardless of who? As lucrative a job as possible? A 'project'? To be loved by a fanbase? 

I don't know what the motivation is for young talented managers in football these days when the concept of success is so compartmentalised, with clubs seemingly assigned ceilings dependent on wealth or 'bigness.' 

I just find it depressing as fuck; you look at the fantastic job he's doing at Brighton - which seems like a great club to work for and is very much on an upward trajectory... and rather than try and do something remarkable, he'd rather bin that off to go to one of the clubs who - unlike his current club - are 'supposed to' win stuff.