The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Got a feeling he'll retire now...the never relegated illusion has been shattered, so his main selling point has now gone. 

Yeah, likely got lots of sticky finger money stashed somewhere. Will pundit when he likes. 

Amazing to think of him now and then look back at that 2003-2005 Bolton side. Was actually excited about all the sports science stuff he was bringing to us and that summer was crazy with the amount of signings we made. Then the season started. Ironic Ashley soon sacked probably the most suited manager to his ideals of all the managers he has had under his reign of terror here. 

From the WBA statement: "our goal of surviving relegation"

Wouldn't the correct wording be "our goal of avoiding relegation"? To survive something surely it has to happen to you? You couldn't survive relegation before being relegated, no?

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

From the WBA statement: "our goal of surviving relegation"

Wouldn't the correct wording be "our goal of avoiding relegation"? To survive something surely it has to happen to you? You couldn't survive relegation before being relegated, no?

Nope. You’re spot on.

it’s badly worded 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Really rare that a manager gets a send off like that. Nice to see. Think it's pretty fair to say he's done a good job there, despite some prolonged spells of minging football.

I don't think it's fair to throw him in with the other PFM lot (dunno if anyone is here, but I feel like I've read it); he certainly sees the defender in everyone but tactically I think he's a lot more cultured than the likes of Allardyce/Pulis/Pardew/Bruce, having plied his trade all over the continent, and at various levels. I assume that you don't rejuvenate a stalling Inter Milan in what was, at the time, one of the best leagues in the world, if you've not got some formidable tactical nouse. Not that I have a personal recollection of it. Did alright at a couple of international gigs and of course that outrageous UEFA Cup run with Fulham. Speaks loads of languages, done stints in other club departments and always comes across as insightful, balanced, interesting and not remotely ego-centric in the media - just professional. So not very PFMy at all really. 

I quite liked some of the set-ups he had with England at a time where there wasn't the same amount of talent available as there is now, but obviously got it badly wrong in 2016. 

Reading the comments from Palace fans on The Athletic (which, to be a total snob, seems to present a better quality of contributor than Facebook comments or your average Twitter arena) - would suggest he leaves with great fondness and appreciation for the job he's done, and that ovation obviously reflects that. 

Fair play to Hodgson; hell of a career really. I'm sure he'll carry on in football in some capacity somewhere for a while yet. 

The 2014 WC under Hodgson was awful too. To my mind he was a decent appointment on short notice in 2012 and did ok with a makeshift England team that summer (lots of players in their 30s like Terry, Gerrard, Parker, others who just weren't very good compared to England squads before/since eg Lescott, Johnson, Young) but obviously wasn't the best choice to develop a new style of play. He left at the right time really.

Derby County ended 2007/08 with 11 points, and Big Sam gifted them 4 points..tells you everything ..Should have been 6 points only for a 86min Viduka equaliser which would have been Derbys 2nd win of the season

11 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

These managers who claim to be thick skinned don't half like to cry to the media. 

You can guarantee that they are Brexiteers who label others 'snowflakes'

You’d like to think that charlatans like Allardyce and Bruce are a dying breed in football management, but there are clueless and careless clubs that keep employing them.

Give me someone like Graeme Potter over them cunts.  

9 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

You’d like to think that charlatans like Allardyce and Bruce are a dying breed in football management, but there are clueless and careless clubs that keep employing them.

Give me someone like Graeme Potter over them cunts.  

Every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. He's a completely different breed to them two knackers.

14 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Simon Jordan has just asked SA’s opinions on the treatment of SB by the NUFC fans. Was like PFM BIngo with first number called “expectations” 🙂

God almighty.

6 minutes ago, astraguy said:

I can't understand why people tune in to talksport i never have and never will.

Only time I listened to it was to hear what Bruce’s son had to say about the “death threats” and it was unlistenable.

Adverts, 5 minutes of Jim White talking shit, adverts, 5 minutes of Jim White talking shite, news, adverts....repeat.

I really can’t fathom how anyone would enjoy it. That, and the utter shite they talk on there. The fact they’re all no mark cunts too. I’d love them to go bust. 

Edited by Danh1

35 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Simon Jordan and Sam Allardyce discussing Steve Bruce sounds like a great listen. 

Given the choice between having that enter my lugs or popping to Israel and having a rocket through them, I'd be checking the amber list.