The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

39 minutes ago, TRon said:

Imagine sacking a world renowned and decorated manager like Benitez to appoint Wayne Rooney. 

A player who couldn’t wait to leave, was booed constantly on his return, and then when he resigned, he was back to being a hero. If they sack Rafa and appoint Rooney I hope he relegates them. They may as well give it back to Unsworth [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

A player who couldn’t wait to leave, was booed constantly on his return, and then when he resigned, he was back to being a hero. If they sack Rafa and appoint Rooney I hope he relegates them. They may as well give it back to Unsworth [emoji38]

That story has to be bollocks though surely? Still, if Steve Bruce can wrangle 20 odd years of employment as a manager maybe not.....:facepalm:

Just now, TRon said:

That story has to be bollocks though surely? Still, if Steve Bruce can wrangle 20 odd years of employment as a manager maybe not.....:facepalm:

Would be the most Everton thing to do probably. Actually, I do hope Rooney doesn’t flop as a manager because we need up and coming good managers from here to do well. 

I’ve always admired Rooney. I don’t think he gets enough love considering just how outstanding of a footballer he really was in his prime. Seems he’s done well with a hopeless situation at Derby, though I’m skeptical he’d be able to get anything more out of that Everton side than Rafa.

2 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

I’ve always admired Rooney. I don’t think he gets enough love considering just how outstanding of a footballer he really was in his prime. Seems he’s done well with a hopeless situation at Derby, though I’m skeptical he’d be able to get anything more out of that Everton side than Rafa.

He was a great player it can’t be denied, not Ronaldo/Messi levels as consistent as they were but he was right up there on his game. I think he forfeited a lot of his game/flair by working his socks off constantly and not being more selfish, that and Fergie sacrificed him at times for the greater of the team by playing him here and there or getting him to track back all the time. But he still did that side of the game as good as any so…

I wonder how long Bielsa will remain wedded to Leeds? He's playing a style of football which is beyond some of his players. I totally get why he would feel attached to the club, but he's far better than this and is being hamstrung by the owners not spending on genuine quality looking from the outside.

22 minutes ago, TRon said:

I wonder how long Bielsa will remain wedded to Leeds? He's playing a style of football which is beyond some of his players. I totally get why he would feel attached to the club, but he's far better than this and is being hamstrung by the owners not spending on genuine quality looking from the outside.

My mate (Leeds season ticket holder) says Bielsa is leaving at the end of this season 

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

My mate (Leeds season ticket holder) says Bielsa is leaving at the end of this season 

I don't blame him. He's took Leeds as far as they can go under his leadership. 

6 hours ago, TRon said:

Last season only Chelsea had a bigger net spent than them and this season they were 7th in the net spend league. They are 9th in terms of net spend over the last 5 years which is quite the achievement since most teams have a 3 season head start.

I don't know much about Leeds or Bielsa, but he doesn't strike me as a manager that would settle for whatever the owners give him, and they seem, from another perspective looking from the outside, to back him with more or less whatever he asks for. He should be more worried about getting sacked than them being worried he is leaving imo based on how they are performing at the minute :lol: 

Net spend for newly promoted clubs is always misleading. They rarely have sellable assets and they get the huge TV money boost. Newcastle being the exception of course, I bet Brighton, Bournemouth, Leeds, etc will have big ‘net spends’. Villas was huge but then took £100m for Grealish. It only takes Leeds to sell Phillips for £60-80m at some point and it wipes theirs out almost.

As for Everton, if they sack Benitez I’d be genuinely interested to see Duncan Ferguson get the gig even if it was just until the summer. They’re not getting into Europe, I can’t see them going down, could be a good time for them to give him 15-18 games to see how he’d cope.

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Last season only Chelsea had a bigger net spent than them and this season they were 7th in the net spend league. They are 9th in terms of net spend over the last 5 years which is quite the achievement since most teams have a 3 season head start.

I don't know much about Leeds or Bielsa, but he doesn't strike me as a manager that would settle for whatever the owners give him, and they seem, from another perspective looking from the outside, to back him with more or less whatever he asks for. He should be more worried about getting sacked than them being worried he is leaving imo based on how they are performing at the minute :lol: 

Have you seen that Leeds side? It's like us, most of their players are the same they had in the Championship. Luke Ayling, Forshaw and some fucker called Dallas. How far can you go go with resources like that?

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Net spend for newly promoted clubs is always misleading. They rarely have sellable assets and they get the huge TV money boost. Newcastle being the exception of course, I bet Brighton, Bournemouth, Leeds, etc will have big ‘net spends’. Villas was huge but then took £100m for Grealish. It only takes Leeds to sell Phillips for £60-80m at some point and it wipes theirs out almost.

As for Everton, if they sack Benitez I’d be genuinely interested to see Duncan Ferguson get the gig even if it was just until the summer. They’re not getting into Europe, I can’t see them going down, could be a good time for them to give him 15-18 games to see how he’d cope.

Surely it will be a Rooney-Ferguson old boys wankfest?