The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

Did I not read somewhere the premise that, if you get it right, there's a healthy economic arguement for being a yo-yo club. 

Decent crowds and Premier League cash/parachute payments etc etc? 

Surely if you get it right you end up going: promotion - survival - survival - survival - stability - stability?

50 minutes ago, midds said:

At some point teams like Fulham, Watford, West Brom and Norwich need to decide if they're actually big enough to have a proper go at going up and staying up with a bit of proper investment. Constant promotions and relegations must wear the supporters out. That said, West Brom fans can forget about the promotions part of that until they fire the gormless cunt.

This, completely. What’s the point? I get trying the moneyball thing but at some point you’ve got to just meet reality on its terms. I suppose they’d counter that it’s dangerous to saddle the club with debt or contracts they can’t jettison - suppose the real problem is the total inequality that money has caused in the game. Best solution in my view is a salary cap and floor and spending cap and floor, but that doesn’t = instant and constant profit so bleurgh.

25 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

This, completely. What’s the point? I get trying the moneyball thing but at some point you’ve got to just meet reality on its terms. I suppose they’d counter that it’s dangerous to saddle the club with debt or contracts they can’t jettison - suppose the real problem is the total inequality that money has caused in the game. Best solution in my view is a salary cap and floor and spending cap and floor, but that doesn’t = instant and constant profit so bleurgh.

it’s not their problem, it’s football’s.

Guest neesy111
4 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

it’s not their problem, it’s football’s.

Yeap why should they threaten their long term futures.  See Sunderland, Bolton and Portsmouth for what can happen.

11 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Eh? :lol:

He left newcastle on principle, he’s still entitle to take other jobs on any basis he likes. Weird take. 

He's entitled to do owt he wants and people are entitled to make their own judgement on his actions.  I mean I'm a big fan of Benitez, and I suppose instead of looking at it as going to a club that's been leveraged you could look at it as going to somewhere where the fans need the club to be saved.  Then again this is all pointless because he won't go there IMO.

2 hours ago, Theregulars said:

They aren't big enough clubs to go their unless someone suddenly decides to throw money at them.  Also I'm not sure if it necessarily will wear their fans out, they have success in coming up and they have some failure in dropping, then success again in coming up again.  For the size of the clubs promotion to the top league is an achievement and its certainly got to be better than constant nothingness just below mid table year after year IMO.

9 hours ago, midds said:

Surely if you get it right you end up going: promotion - survival - survival - survival - stability - stability?

You would think so but that scenario, whilst good for the supporters, requires investment. Considerable investment, obvs. 

I even think the article was about Ashley's type of ownership.

Absolute minimum investment but enough to get promoted. Good crowds, support ensues.

Quick season in the Prem, minimum investment, still receive canny TV revenue and get a huge parachute payment on relegation.

rinse, repeat

1 minute ago, Robster said:

Sacked him with no plan. Impressive.

Burnley fans on their message board seem to think it was taken out of the owners hands and that they had no choice but to sack him as in maybe something disciplinary related.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Burnley fans on their message board seem to think it was taken out of the owners hands and that they had no choice but to sack him as in maybe something disciplinary related.

How would that explain the whole back room staff then?

Were they in some sort of betting scandal or beating the players or something?

Friend at work heard he went on the lash with Duncan Ferguson after the Everton game and assaulted a bouncer. Would usually think its shite but something has to have happened as you don't just sack without a plan. 

11 minutes ago, Stifler said:

How would that explain the whole back room staff then?

Were they in some sort of betting scandal or beating the players or something?

No idea just saying what the Burnley fans are reporting. There hasn’t even been a statement from Dyche himself yet which you usually get from a sacked manager