The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

I’m gonna hot take it and say that Ten Haag will bomb at Man United. It’s a very very different culture to what he has at Ajax and he won’t get the time to implement it there. I don’t think he’s a bad manager at all, just how I think it will play out 

I said it a few weeks back, I think only one or two people can turn that club around and they are at LFC and City, he could do, but it will take years and by then it will be too late anyway and he won’t get that luxury!

2 hours ago, ManDoon said:

I’m gonna hot take it and say that Ten Haag will bomb at Man United. It’s a very very different culture to what he has at Ajax and he won’t get the time to implement it there. I don’t think he’s a bad manager at all, just how I think it will play out 

Aye, they said as much on OTC last week.

If Man U want to just plug the gap and continue on as usual they get Poch. If they want to scrap it all and start again they get Ten Haag.

I think they want to do the latter but in 6months time they'll panic and want results quicker.

16 hours ago, Robster said:

This is canny impressive like. Speaking to the fans and seems passionate about wanting to do good work at Derby.
Really happy that he's not got an attitude of only being interested in a Premier League job just because he's Wayne Rooney. I really want him to do well with Derby.

Wow ... this is really amazing. Looks like Rooney really gets it. Will be really rooting for him, and hope he can get them back up first time.

6 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

West Bromwich should sack Bruce and get Dyche in while they can

Yep. But going by some of their fans’ twitter posts about us, they all but deserve Bruce👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Ten Hag officially done.

They've pretty much gone and got what a lot of our fans wanted when our takeover first happened. Rangnick DOF (although apparently he will just be a part time consultant for them) and Ten Hag manager. 

Let's see how it works out for them, they really need a complete overhaul.

On the Burnley situation, I read a snippet from an Ornstein article in the Athletic that they had been interviewing manager candidates last week and early this week.

They were hopeful of getting someone in in time for the game tonight, but that might be too soon.

Well, I'm guessing it was too soon in that case as it's all gone quiet and the U23 coach was giving the interviews.

But more oddly, there was also a suggestion that they might go for an interim manager until the end of the season, and a permanent one in the summer.

To me, that just makes the Dyche sacking and then lack of preparation at a crucial time in their season even more hard to explain.

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

On the Burnley situation, I read a snippet from an Ornstein article in the Athletic that they had been interviewing manager candidates last week and early this week.

They were hopeful of getting someone in in time for the game tonight, but that might be too soon.

Well, I'm guessing it was too soon in that case as it's all gone quiet and the U23 coach was giving the interviews.

But more oddly, there was also a suggestion that they might go for an interim manager until the end of the season, and a permanent one in the summer.

To me, that just makes the Dyche sacking and then lack of preparation at a crucial time in their season even more hard to explain.

I thought that they had binned Dyche as an acceptance that they are all but relegated and want to start planning for next season without him.

They want to head in a different direction and play a different way so are giving whoever comes in the chance to assess ahead of a potential rebuild.

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

I think the only chance Burnley had to stay up was with Dyche, I don't think Ten Hag will be given the time he needs to turn it around, with the exception of the players out of contract how will they get rid of all the dead wood and players he doesn't want with the contracts they currently have 

On 19/04/2022 at 12:26, ManDoon said:

He absolutely will get the time. He'll get a minimum of two years just to show things are going in the right direction never mind challenge. 

54 minutes ago, vicente_14 said:

I thought that they had binned Dyche as an acceptance that they are all but relegated and want to start planning for next season without him.

They want to head in a different direction and play a different way so are giving whoever comes in the chance to assess ahead of a potential rebuild.

That approach would make sense. 

But here's a bit from that article which suggests it's not their thinking at all. (Obviously, I don't know if the Athletic are right or how good their sources are. But they're generally not bad.)

"The understanding, though, is that the decision to remove Dyche was because of underperformance and by Friday, it felt like the only option left in their battle for survival.

It is understood that any appointment made will not be with relegation in mind and the club is determined to keep fighting. Dyche would have remained in charge if they were resigned to playing in the Championship next season."

So, already, that reads to me like a firefighting appointment rather than one to introduce a new style. You wouldn't introduce a new style with an interim appointment anyway.

And the bit about keeping Dyche if they'd accepted the Championship next season suggests they haven't accepted that.

Which sounds like muddled thinking when they still have / had a real fighting chance of staying up at Everton's expense given their fixtures.

Also, here's the Athletic on the idea of appointing an interim;

"The two-step plan discussed means Burnley will get to the end of the season before re-evaluating and exploring their options. However, should they find the right long-term candidate immediately, then that plan might change."

Which sounds very much to me like they don't really know what they are doing.

Maybe I'm reading it wrongly, but it's got a bit of a Venky's vibe.

Personally think something must have happened behind the scenes with Dyche to cause the sacking. He's probably there greatest manager, and had been there for a decade, changed the culture of the club, got them to Europe, and to being a Premier League mainstay.

To them sack him the day before a game with a short statement, and nothing else, no goodbye message, no thank you, not even a social media montage, literally just a a 2 paragraph statement. Nothing that would allow a fan to express how much he means to them. It's all very odd.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Personally think something must have happened behind the scenes with Dyche to cause the sacking. He's probably there greatest manager, and had been there for a decade, changed the culture of the club, got them to Europe, and to being a Premier League mainstay.

To them sack him the day before a game with a short statement, and nothing else, no goodbye message, no thank you, not even a social media montage, literally just a a 2 paragraph statement. Nothing that would allow a fan to express how much he means to them. It's all very odd.

Exactly this. If you're sacking him you do it straight after or the day after the last game, you don't wait a week and do it on the eve of the next game. And if that game was a final straw thing you'd at least get things moving on looking for a replacement.

There's definitely been an argument or something and the owners have made a bit of a rash decision. 

41 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He absolutely will get the time. He'll get a minimum of two years just to show things are going in the right direction never mind challenge. 

He'll get the time as long as he's sitting in the top 4 come 6 month review time.

16 minutes ago, 54 said:

Did I read on here or somewhere else that there was supposedly an incident involving him, Duncan Ferguson and a bouncer?

I think Ten Hag is their best appointment since Fergie and he's come in now at a decent time, they've tried the really big names (Mourinho, Van Gal) and the local hero (Solskjaer) and it hasn't worked out

Ten Hag is a quality coach and I think given time he will improve them, the only question mark is how patient will the club be with hi? If he doesn't get top 4 in his first season they need to still give him time, Liverpool finished 8th in Klopps first season and there was no danger of him being sacked. 

I do hope I'm wrong and that it falls apart because well it would be funny