The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Kinda feels like the writing’s been on the wall for Tuchel. The massive spending seemingly without rhyme or reason seemed to be Todd’s doing, rather than at Tuchel’s behest. New owner wants to hire his own guy, tale as old as time.

Can see why Potter has (apparently) accepted the offer, as this is likely to be as high as his stock gets, but have to admit it's disappointing to see a team who looked capable of potentially upsetting the top 6 have their manager poached by one of those clubs. 

Will be interesting to see how long he lasts. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Can see why Potter has (apparently) accepted the offer, as this is likely to be as high as his stock gets, but have to admit it's disappointing to see a team who looked capable of potentially upsetting the top 6 have their manager poached by one of those clubs. 

Will be interesting to see how long he lasts. 

Good for us from a strictly Toon perspective. 

2 hours ago, Abacus said:

Though you can't blame him for being interested, imo Potter should be very careful to properly understand the conditions he'd be working under before signing up. 

It seems that Tuchel wasn't given much say in recruitment for one thing - they even weirdly seemed to be considering buying Ronaldo at one point.

I imagine Potter didn't have a great deal of say in terms of the recruitment at Brighton so that won't be an issue for him. What will cause problems is that Chelsea's recruitment team aren't as effective as Brighton's and I doubt they have the same approach to how they land on their transfer targets. It may be Potter can influence a change in that approach but it would need a clued-up DoF to achieve that and it will take years to change their methods which could be problematic for them in the short to medium term.

Feel like Potter has been so varied in his formations, wonder if he goes with 4-2-1-3

Mendy

Reece James - Fofana - Koulibaly - Cucarella

Kovacic Zakaria

Mount

Havertz PEA Sterling

Could argue Pulisic as a winger, Havertz as a 10, Jorginho and Kante in the 2

Edited by Kanji

30 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Pulisic come back in pretty quick. He will graft his ass off for Potter, which he loves. 

Potter will just apply a shit load of logic to everything and they'll be absolutely fine for the forseeable.

36 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

By all accounts, Chelsea are going to change everything at the club in terms of recruitment etc. They want Edwards as sporting director, I think it’s a perfect fit for Potter tbh.

Their owner and de facto DOF basically spunked away nearly 300m on players he deemed worthy to sign, they aren’t changing shit on the recruitment side no matter who they bring in. 

Edited by HTT II

43 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

By all accounts, Chelsea are going to change everything at the club in terms of recruitment etc. They want Edwards as sporting director, I think it’s a perfect fit for Potter tbh.

There are some interesting parallels and contrasts with us. Both takeovers in weird circumstances, relatively inexperienced owners, promises to change a lot from past ownership, have to hire director of football, fire and replace manager. Then all the obvious huge differences. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes for them. 

12 hours ago, gazzatoon said:

Agree, I hope he stays there. Probably be the next England manager. 

12 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Potter would be mental to turn down Chelsea to stay at Brighton imo.

Put me on Team Stay at Brighton. Would I rather be at a place that has shown long term faith and support of my vision, with the chance of establishing a club as a perennial top-half (maybe underestimating) Premier League side? Or go into the meat grinder of ego-tastic owners who spunk millions for players I might not want and demand a level of results that is unachievable given the fickle nature of football? I'm quite sure that Mr. Potter is well-compensated enough to live comfortably without going to a club that has had 8 full-time and 2 interim managers in the last 10 years. I'd personally rather build something of value than be Mr. Flavor of the Day for a year.

I hope Potter tells them to fucking fuck the fuck off.

Would be hilarious if he turned it down. He won't and probably shouldn't. Chelsea is a bit of a gong show though. Seems a bit mad behind the scenes, managers getting churned out by player power and lots of toxic supporters too. I'd expect he would want some pretty big assurances.

If BHA hit an extensive bad run of form then Potter is just as likely to be shown the door as he would at most clubs (though Chelsea are not most clubs).

Football history tells us that the 'flavour of the month' managers - often touted as the next big thing - can disappear just as quickly as they're started being talked about as the next England manager.  I'm not necessarily saying Potter is - but he could be.

If I was Potter, I'd take the fucking massive payday off those horrible fuckers and back myself to win a trophy or two before the inevitable sacking in a couple of years time when you haven't deliverable the most entitled club on planet Earth a quadruple or whatever.  It's not like he'll fail to get another job at PL afterwards.  Who knows, he could even make them less dislikeable.  Doubt it though.

Potter should just play the long game, get Brighton a good fee for him to leave, have brighton put an interim manager in for the rest of the season, have him get some pretty decent termination bonus in his contract,  wait 9 months for his sacking because Chelsea's owners are insane. Return to Brighton and continue what he was doing before but with a better looking bank account :lol:

I know its old ground but for the Edwards comments on Bruce, all he had to do in season 1 was keep the defensive structure Rafa had introduced. Even then, it was Dubravka who kept us up that year. In season 2, Bruce started badly, but had empty grounds protecting him. The team had Callum Wilson, and then Joe Willock on fire. Most of the defensive structure had gone by this time, but Fulham being really bad kept the pressure off. The finishing positions in those two seasons are mostly irrelevant because 13th can happen if you see off relegation with two games to go and win those games against teams on the beach. In season 3, we reached a historical point of no return, no wins in 14, and would definitely have gone down without a complete overhaul. This is what Howe did, mostly with the same squad Bruce had had by reintroducing some defensive structure. The third worst team ended up as Burnley vs. Everton, a huge step up on Fulham, and way beyond what Bruce could have managed. We would definitely have gone down.

I like the comparisons between Potter and Rodgers, which suggest Potter must take the Chelsea job while his stock is high. Aside from Man Utd who were clearly unready at the start of the season, they are yet to face any top team this year and their position may be artificial. They played us in a heatwave and only turned it on after 70 minutes when it became a battle of the benches.