The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

I listened to Matty Cash this morning and he was explaining on what Emery has changed, it was just like our players after Howe came in, longer sessions, more detail, defending situations rather than people in the box, talking to players individually and just overall better organisation. 

As for Gerrard getting the England job, I'm just anyone but Howe TBF

20 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Absolutely dreading Gerrard getting the England job

You'd think the old boys club of the FA wouldn't been too keen on Stevie G's mobbed up mates. If Potter gets the sack at Chelsea, he's nailed on for it.

the people calling for Potter to England don't understand football I mean and I do not mean this at all in a bad way about Potter. Potter at brighton built a brick and mortar system with players all signed to fit the system and all understanding fairly complex tactical demands. You quite simply a) do not get the time to do this with players at international level and b) you are on a hiding for nothing picking players for a specialized system for England as you will get torn apart the first time you don't play the next big thing(tm) who may be in excellent form but doesn't want to press high and recycle possession. 

Unless we say ok for the next 10 years England play potterball, if you can't play potterball you won't make the england team it makes little sense. And after all that does anyone know if potterball would work at knockout international tournaments?

I do want a manager with some level of identity, but I don't think you can have someone who is very very wedded to a particular style, or whose identity is too different than that most players are playing under. I think Howe (and no I don't think he is interested in managing international football) is much better suited, he has not got quite that distinct a style of play and is more about getting intensity out of the players and seems open to changing formation/style. 

Honestly though, I think you would struggle to find a manager doing well in the premier league who would be hugely interested in the job, international footy management is not going to replace the thrill of taking over a team week in week out. it will go to Potter, the team will have glimpses of good play but be a soft touch and we'll be back to square one and Potter's reputation will be unfairly tarnished. 

I may be very wrong on Potter, Brighton fans feel free to correct me, I rate him but he feels a guy who needs a while go get going and needs a lot of time to build what he wants. 

36 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

the people calling for Potter to England don't understand football I mean and I do not mean this at all in a bad way about Potter. Potter at brighton built a brick and mortar system with players all signed to fit the system and all understanding fairly complex tactical demands. You quite simply a) do not get the time to do this with players at international level and b) you are on a hiding for nothing picking players for a specialized system for England as you will get torn apart the first time you don't play the next big thing(tm) who may be in excellent form but doesn't want to press high and recycle possession. 

Unless we say ok for the next 10 years England play potterball, if you can't play potterball you won't make the england team it makes little sense. And after all that does anyone know if potterball would work at knockout international tournaments?

I do want a manager with some level of identity, but I don't think you can have someone who is very very wedded to a particular style, or whose identity is too different than that most players are playing under. I think Howe (and no I don't think he is interested in managing international football) is much better suited, he has not got quite that distinct a style of play and is more about getting intensity out of the players and seems open to changing formation/style. 

Honestly though, I think you would struggle to find a manager doing well in the premier league who would be hugely interested in the job, international footy management is not going to replace the thrill of taking over a team week in week out. it will go to Potter, the team will have glimpses of good play but be a soft touch and we'll be back to square one and Potter's reputation will be unfairly tarnished. 

I may be very wrong on Potter, Brighton fans feel free to correct me, I rate him but he feels a guy who needs a while go get going and needs a lot of time to build what he wants. 

I get what you're saying, but you can also argue managing a team like Chelsea is very similar to England. A squad full of mostly international players that get selected for their country. Managing ego, European play, Cups, squad rotation to keep star players happy and adjusting systems to player strength is the England job most of the year. Potter might actually fancy the step back after running the Chelsea juggernaut. 

It's all hyperbole at this point, as I imagine he'll come good with Chelsea post WC.

Could probably solve a lot of the handwringing about the next England manager if they considered hiring someone who wasn’t English.

If the pool at this point is three people…expand the pool…

Edited by Tomato Deuce

4 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Could probably solve a lot of the handwringing about the next England manager if they considered hiring someone who wasn’t English.

If the pool at this point is three people…expand the pool…

FA got their hands burnt with Capello and prefer to have continuity via home grown coaches. 

On 14/11/2022 at 18:07, Tiresias said:

I think Potter is a fairly flexible coach. He's not like Pep where he has such a particular style only 10% of quality players would fit into his systems without some major changes in style. There aren't many recent examples of good managers failing at international football because their systems have been too complex to implement at international level. I think the 2 best sides at Euro 2020 - Spain & Italy, were also the best coached and had the managers with the best club CVs.

Tbf, international football these days is a right shit gig, like. You might as well give it to a Lampard or Gerrard who'll chest thump their way through most of the tournaments without having any sort detailed, long-term, tactical plan as to how they want the squad to play in future. It's hardly as though any other English manager has been able to do the same.

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I think Potter is a fairly flexible coach. He's not like Pep where he has such a particular style only 10% of quality players would fit into his systems without some major changes in style. There aren't many recent examples of good managers failing at international football because their systems have been too complex to implement at international level. I think the 2 best sides at Euro 2020 - Spain & Italy, were also the best coached and had the managers with the best club CVs.

I would argue spain developed a strong identity as a national team and stuck to it and then built their success around core of players in that style. Italy yes strong club coach but also more pragmatic more good at managing egos. And then they imploded in qualifying regardless. 

I would be more than willing to give Potter a chance at it, and wouldn't be shocked if I was wrong (I think i over egged the pudding in my original post tbh) but I do think he'd be a slightly odd fit. If he got it with scope and authority to shape that's how England play and to get in squad you need to fit in could work with time too.

Fair. I don't think he's an extremist coach that can't get his tactics over at INTNL football well the way Pep might struggle.

I also don't think he has any short-term ambition at doing that job. Even if he fails at Chelsea, an Aston Villa or West Ham type job would take him and that's a more exciting role for a young manager.

It's where you go after Everton that's difficult. We used to be a managerial graveyard like them.

13 hours ago, James said:

Just hear that drug cheat Guardiola provided the courts with a character reference for alleged rapist Mendy.

I really don’t get why this abhorrent individual is still lauded

Well, the key word there I suppose is alleged. Until he’s convicted of something he’s innocent, Id suggest the evidence is in his favour if Pep went public over it.

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Well, the key word there I suppose is alleged. Until he’s convicted of something he’s innocent, Id suggest the evidence is in his favour if Pep went public over it.

He gave testimony that amounted to ‘He’s fine with me but I don’t know what he gets up to outside of training.’ He also made it clear that he was there because he had been asked to go. It highlights what a stupid pointless thing character references are during trials and not much else.