The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Holloway wasn't going to keep them up and his track-record in the PL is poor. Why keep him?

I agree if I was a chairman of one of these clubs if hire a Holloway to get me promoted then wave goodbye as soon as that goal was achieved.

Onwards and upwards

Holloway wasn't going to keep them up and his track-record in the PL is poor. Why keep him?

Nobody's going to keep them up. They're nowhere near good enough to be there, and of the two players mainly responsible for getting them there, one is at Man Utd and the other has a cruciate knee injury. They should just try to enjoy this season and attempt to use the massive PL cash that they'll have compared to other Championship clubs to go down, build a stronger squad and try and come up again the year after.

You say "his record is poor" - that Blackpool side he brought up and very nearly kept up had been amongst the favourites to be relegated from the Championship the year they were promoted. There's only so much a manager can do.

Nobody's going to keep them up. They're nowhere near good enough to be there, and of the two players mainly responsible for getting them there, one is at Man Utd and the other has a cruciate knee injury. They should just try to enjoy this season and attempt to use the massive PL cash that they'll have compared to other Championship clubs to go down, build a stronger squad and try and come up again the year after.

You say "his record is poor" - that Blackpool side he brought up and very nearly kept up had been amongst the favourites to be relegated from the Championship the year they were promoted. There's only so much a manager can do.

I agree with this.

Palace though have apparently just allowed the Zaha money to be spent on players (and were actually expecting relegation as well), and using the TV money towards a new ground or an expansion to Selhurst Park.

Holloway hasn't really been given a chance to get them bedded into the Premiership and in my opinion I think he earned the right to take them back down.

Used to like Holloway but his quirky quotes got boring fast. Fair enough if he's resigned but I don't think he could have done much better. It's a big ask of anyone to keep them up. I think it would have been worth staying, and to look to win promotion next year again.

Aye i honestly think Hughes will be next.... only one point above relegation zone and Remy has scored more than their entire team...

Such a strange hire, don't know a single person who thought that would be a success.

Think Stoke are one of those teams that weren't gonna go up or down under Pulis, just stand still.

But without him, I reckon they could be in big trouble this year.

Not quite. I said his PL record is poor. Which it is, as that Blackpool side, despite nearly staying up, were relegated. Close maybe, but still not good enough. I don't think he's a bad manager by any means, as he's gotten two Championship sides promoted in 3 years. He's just not a great choice for a newly-promoted side looking to stay up.

I agree, there is only so much a manager can do. Asking Holloway to keep them up was asking too much of him. Even if they are a poor team destined for relegation, they should still make every effort to stay up while they're here. They really have nothing to lose by going for broke.

Where were Palace in the Championship when he was appointed?

Top.

4th actually.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24643421

Nah.  Had another look.  3rd.  He then won his first game and they went top.

table as of 3rd November 2012 - http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2012-2013/table/2012-11-03

He officially took charge for their game on the 6th.