The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

21 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Are we going to start seeing more of a cycle where 2/3 of the promoted clubs are replaced by 2/3 of the relegated sides every season now? Think both have made sound appointments that’ll see them back up first time.

I think Fulham could do quite well again next season too. So maybe 3/3 returns. Unlikely I would think though, there's normally at least one/two surprises (either one flop and one team coming from nowhere/previous mid table).

Should be interesting league again though.

43 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

We've only had 3 not from the UK or Ireland, so that doesn't really surprise me.

Looking more into this, Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal have also only had 3, Manchester City 4. I stopped counting Chelsea's when I got to 11 :lol:

I know he has a PL 2nd place and a europa league final but it feels like the wheels are just waiting to come off so badly for OGS. 

Admittedly I never watch Man Utd play unless it's against us but he seems to be so reliant on match winning players saving his arse... (same as someone else we know) 

They'll always be 'there or thereabouts' with the resources at their disposal, but I can't see them ever striving for anything beyond a second rate pastiche of the Fergie years under Solskjaer.

A decent owner/CEO would boot him and throw the chequebook at Zidane.

Constantly falling behind and miraculously coming back to win it is absolutely not sustainable either. They've winged it this year but they need a better manager to actually set the team up to go ahead and control the game rather than fall behind and frantically scramble it back in the second half. It can't continue to happen indefinitely. 

No way can they overtake Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool anytime soon. These 3 will just get stronger and stronger with the managers and players at their disposal. Ole has performed better than expected but doubt they can get in ahead of those 3. Both Liverpool and Chelsea had distractions this season allowing Man Utd to gain a slight advantage but expect normal service to resume next season. Even if they get Kane, think it won't be enough.

12 hours ago, Robster said:

Think Mourinho won the league in his first season back with Chelsea but it didn't have that same charm as the first time around.
It then went to complete shit after that.

On the whole, I think returning to a previous job is always a bad idea.

And we've been clamouring for Rafa?

6 hours ago, nufcjb said:

No way can they overtake Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool anytime soon. These 3 will just get stronger and stronger with the managers and players at their disposal. Ole has performed better than expected but doubt they can get in ahead of those 3. Both Liverpool and Chelsea had distractions this season allowing Man Utd to gain a slight advantage but expect normal service to resume next season. Even if they get Kane, think it won't be enough.

What were Chelsea's distractions? :lol: Lampard? Liverpool's distractions were losing defenders to injury? Liverpool had more CB's at their disposal than we did. Not like Klopp's teams to start dying off with injury either...

People seem to forget we had no real pre-season this year and played 61 games. Rashford and Bruno were absolutely shagged by March/April. 

Greenwood and Martial were two of our best players last season and scored 40 goals between them. Yet this year Martial has had his issues with form and injury and Greenwood was non-existent for months due to being depressed at his close friend committing suicide.

Our captain who played essentially every single game for us since joining was missing for the final in which we dominated but conceded from a set piece.

As always on here it's all about how Ole is certain to fail and the only reason we finished ahead of Chelsea and Liverpool is because of their issues, as if we had none of our own. :lol: A very poor lack of insight, blinded by hatred of the club. Everyone on here gave Ole less than a year. You have all been wrong. None of you understand the impact he has made around the club either. Clearing out the leeches and the team finally becoming a team. Everyone is happy, and that hasn't been the case for years.

Ole has brought us from 6th to 3rd to 2nd. He deserves a new contract. You can evaluate him again at the end of next season, when the expectation will have increased. He has 1-2 years now to win trophies, simple as that.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

It seems like Ole and Woodward have done a great job of lowering expectations. 

I'm curious what you think the expectation should have been when Ole took over from where we were in December 2018. Genuinely curious.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

I'm curious what you think the expectation should have been when Ole took over from where we were in December 2018. Genuinely curious.

I thought you would compete more, brush teams aside playing great football, Ole has the same mentality as Bruce, keep it tight then let the class players win games, Man U are now a boring watch. Your probably right about been blinded by a hatred of the club, but my hatred stems from Man U been so good, taking every team they faced head on and giving it a go. 

I hated how brave they were, Feguson said it in his interview that Man U under him always took risks. The current set up is just set up is the opposite of that from the top down.

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

I thought you would compete more, brush teams aside playing great football, Ole has the same mentality as Bruce, keep it tight then let the class players win games, Man U are now a boring watch. Your probably right about been blinded by a hatred of the club, but my hatred stems from Man U been so good, taking every team they faced head on and giving it a go. 

I hated how brave they were, Feguson said it in his interview that Man U under him always took risks. The current set up is just set up is the opposite of that from the top down.

I genuinely appreciate you having an opinion, but it's wrong. 

1. Biggest home win since Sir Alex retired.
  2. First time we've scored 5 goals at Old Trafford since 2011.
  3. First time two players have scored 10+ goals at Old Trafford since 2008.
  4. First team in PL history to win four consecutive games by 3+ goals.
  5. Won 10 consecutive away games for the first time in our history. 8 in the league, also a record.
  6. Biggest win in the CL since 2013.
  7. Rashford and Martial first hat-tricks for the club under Ole.
  8. First side in PL history to score 2+ goals in 10 consecutive away games
  9. 9-0 vs. Southampton? 6-2 vs. Roma? 6-2 vs. Leeds? 5-0 vs. Leipzig? 4-0 vs. Chelsea?
  10. Under LVG, Moyes and Jose we scored 5+ twice in 302 matches. We've done in 9 times with Ole in 140 games.
  11. First team to score 6 in a European semi since 1964

There's more, but there's no need. Boring? He's smashing attacking records all over the place. It is a really strange narrative people seem to have that is based on nothing.

Nostaljaer has proved me wrong to a degree I'll admit but I don't think you can use Bruno and Maguire as being flogged to death as your own "issues" when he's the one that did the flogging :lol:

Fernandes needed a rest months ago and he just kept playing him, to very little effect in reality so he'd have been better resting the lad and seeing if he could recapture his earlier form.

Imo you judge him when he gets a proper midfield, at the moment it's the long running excuse for the way they set up and play but if you're going to take the next step you'll need to control games better rather than countering as much as you do but you'll never do that with Fred, Matic, Pobga & McTominay (though I like him) as your options behind Fernandes.

I'd go out and try to swap Pog for Verratti at PSG and a bag of cash, would transform your midfield and get rid of a waste of a shirt.

2 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Nostaljaer has proved me wrong to a degree I'll admit but I don't think you can use Bruno and Maguire as being flogged to death as your own "issues" when he's the one that did the flogging :lol:

Merely pointing out that our issues have been the same as everyone else's. The league table reflects your season. We deserved to be second.

We need a CB, CM, RW and CF. The latter two aren't as important in the summer but we will definitely need a CF soon once Cavani goes. I don't what the fuck happened with Van de Beek but only clearly never wanted him.