The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

1 hour ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Have to laugh, in the express last Saturday, there was a story in the 'Ahead of the Game' section, on how Sky have missed to the 'boat' to say on not being able to broadcast the first game in charge of Conte at Spurs.

This was because of the fixtures being done in advance.

It then went on to say that this is the second time it has happened in the they missed Ronaldo's first game for Man Utd.

Now they'll miss Eddie's first game against Brentford.

It now looks like they'll miss Gerrards game at Liverpool.

Hopefully they'll also miss the new manager at Norwich as well.

And also, as they have the scottish league - the first game of the new Rangers manager.

It wouldn't surprise me that they write something into their contract next time saying 'if you sack your manager you can't appoint anyone until the start of the next TV games window'.

Aye, they've missed quite a few 'storyline matches' so to speak. Got lucky they chose us Vs Spurs, new owners or their favourite Steve Bruce's 1000th and last game in charge.

Serves them right to be honest. All they want to do is speak about Man Utd anyways so enjoy watching Ole at the wheel.

Edited by nufcjb

I don't get why these new and young managers want to jump too quickly and return back to their clubs. Look at Lampard and how shit that turned. Giggs at Man Utd earlier. Ole did have a go somewhere else but ended up back there too. Heck, even Shearer when he came back here. I hope Gerrard gets some more years of experience and maybe at another club after Villa before going back to Anfield.

Rooney would have been going to Old Trafford had it not been so shit and Derby but if he gets them going good, he'll end up there or at Everton soon enough. 

Could you imagine big Andy Carroll suddenly goes into management and after a good few season somewhere, he ends up here just because he was here before?

Just now, Interpolic said:

Can see why Gerrard has gone there - big club, good squad, money available. Not so sure from Villa's POV, agree with those saying it's a bit of a gamble. 

Similar problem to us. Who else realistically, could they have got?

I don't see Fonseca as any less of a risk.

Just now, STM said:

Similar problem to us. Who else realistically, could they have got?

I don't see Fonseca as any less of a risk.

Yeah I was quite surprised by the pool of available managers when we were searching really. I do think our appointment is far less risky though, Howe started managing in 2009 and had a very small club doing well in the PL for 5 seasons. Think his appointment is a bit of a coup and people's opinions of him have been disproportionately affected by the relegation and the 18 months he's been away from the game. 

Think if Howe went there, it would have been an upgrade on Smith. He would have made them good and go to the next level with their backing and facilities already in place.

So glad he's with us though. 

Surprising, Martinez still has no suitors given his release clause is considered low.

Edited by nufcjb

Where they played before should not come into the equation. I thought that Howe hit it on the head when he said of NUFC 'It just felt like a good fit'. That to me is everything. Jose was a good fit at Chelsea but not at Man U or Spurs. He never seemed to fit into those clubs and his present gig could end in tears also.

There's no way of telling if Gerrard will do well with Villa and even if he does there is no guarantee that he can carry that success to Liverpool

20 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

I don't get why these new and young managers want to jump too quickly and return back to their clubs. Look at Lampard and how shit that turned. Giggs at Man Utd earlier. Ole did have a go somewhere else but ended up back there too. Heck, even Shearer when he came back here. I hope Gerrard gets some more years of experience and maybe at another club after Villa before going back to Anfield.

Rooney would have been going to Old Trafford had it not been so shit and Derby but if he gets them going good, he'll end up there or at Everton soon enough. 

Could you imagine big Andy Carroll suddenly goes into management and after a good few season somewhere, he ends up here just because he was here before?

That's all well and good, but don't forget that qualifications and managerial experience pale into obscure insignificance if you already know the club.

Quite surprised at this with Gerrard. Thought he'd want a few seasons under his belt and build on his success, really cement it etc. - big jump to go to Villa. I guess now we will see how good a manager he really is.

Think Gerrard got itchy feet with the speculation over the past month and mentally jumped. Villa is an ambitious club with a solid squad.

Really interesting to see how he and Lampard do. I don't think either appointment helps us but both have a chance of being a disaster while they could be a great success. Given the league another layer of interest though.

1 hour ago, Robster said:

Interested to hear from @brummie as to what AVFC social media is like with regards to Gerrard and his first couple of days.

It going to be interesting as the first game is against Brighton, and apart from some slack defending on Liverpool's front or was it slack finishing, and then some slack defending on theirs, they Brighton would be on a 2 game winning streak. Put that up against a 5 game losing streak - and it has away win all over it.

1-3 BHA

On 10/11/2021 at 11:05, kisearch said:

Even if he does well at Villa, if he goes there, he doesn't really have any right to be in the running for the Liverpool job considering the stature that Klopp had before going and the level of the standards that have now been set.

It is inevitable. Unless he does a completely horrible job in which case the calls will quite down for a few years. The minute he does somewhat decent elsewhere, the calls will start again. 

14 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Be really interesting that. I thought he seemed too much of a joker for management but he's done a superb job at Bromley.

Good job to go into as well, they're going well this season and Challinor jumping ship was a real surprise. 

3 hours ago, nufcjb said:

Surprising, Martinez still has no suitors given his release clause is considered low.

He's the manager of the #1 national team in the world, going through qualifying and into a World Cup year. Of course he doesn't have suitors man. :lol:

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

Be really interesting that. I thought he seemed too much of a joker for management but he's done a superb job at Bromley.

Good job to go into as well, they're going well this season and Challinor jumping ship was a real surprise. 

He learnt from the best. :pardsgrin: