The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

9 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The point I was responding to was you saying Man Utd were the first club where winning trophies doesn’t matter.

I was pointing out, they’re absolutely not.

Glazer's situation with Man U is Ashley's wet dream.

As long as sponsors role in, and fluff up the 'value' of Manchester United, finishing 2nd or 7th no longer matters. 

Lifting trophies, winning no longer matters. Winning and being a 'champion' can now be defined by a VAR decision; Glazer's see beyond that, just money.

It's the same principles Ashley drained the life out of us on.

Edited by Abra Dubravka

1 hour ago, Abra Dubravka said:

Glazer's situation with Man U is Ashley's wet dream.

As long as sponsors role in, and fluff up the 'value' of Manchester United, finishing 2nd or 7th no longer matters. 

Lifting trophies, winning no longer matters. Winning and being a 'champion' can now be defined by a VAR decision; Glazer's see beyond that, just money.

It's the same principles Ashley drained the life out of us on.

Problem is, it's not sustainable over a longer period....lack of success on the pitch eventually translates to lower sponsors, less money, and less power to get the players necessary for success.

Admittedly it would take a long time for this apply to Man U, but Ashley demonstrated perfectly with us how easy it is to fall behind very quickly when all you're interested in is the profits. A bit more sensible investment from him, along with better choices of advisors at the beginning could have seen us comfortably on par with Tottenham now (new stadium aside)

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

This would be terrible. He's the biggest yes man at the club and nothing but a Glazer puppet who knows fuck all about football.

Please fuck off Ed.

Woodward at Man U and Levy at Tottenham have been making a mess of the two clubs for seemingly ages now.

It's allowed a lot of other clubs to catch up and instead of getting proper people in, instead they try to stop other club's takeovers or join super leagues to consolidate their positions. Farcical stuff.

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Problem is, it's not sustainable over a longer period....lack of success on the pitch eventually translates to lower sponsors, less money, and less power to get the players necessary for success.

Admittedly it would take a long time for this apply to Man U, but Ashley demonstrated perfectly with us how easy it is to fall behind very quickly when all you're interested in is the profits. A bit more sensible investment from him, along with better choices of advisors at the beginning could have seen us comfortably on par with Tottenham now (new stadium aside)

Highlighted has become the definition of success for those that own Man United - and, rightfully fans hate it. Signing Ronaldo did more for Glazer's share price, and shirt sales than it did for OGS' dressing room, let alone plan of how to play.

Man City, in the last 10 years have been a football club built to win on the pitch first, and the rest comes second. Chelsea, Liverpool have found right balance in last 5 years. All the while Man United blow everyone into the dirt commercially, but fail time and time again when it comes to the sporting aspect of running a football club. 

Ashley wasn't arsed if we finished 17th or 13th - Glazer's aren't arsed if Man United finish 2nd or 7th as long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line. Principally I can see they are of the same mould Ashley was of. Manchester United are an advertising/brand vehicle now rather than being best of class.

That's why I say, they are the first club of their size to give up on sporting venture. No longer being best on pitch is the driving factor. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter, Milan, Liverpool - historically European football's giants; not own of those clubs, through whatever strife has ever given up the pursuit of being the best they can be on the pitch. 

Man United letting this season slide, interim - loaning OGS as an interim those years ago - tells me people who really run MU don't give a shit what happens on pitch as long as the club is making them money. Like I say, Mike Ashley's wet dream.    

33 minutes ago, Abra Dubravka said:

Highlighted has become the definition of success for those that own Man United - and, rightfully fans hate it. Signing Ronaldo did more for Glazer's share price, and shirt sales than it did for OGS' dressing room, let alone plan of how to play.

Man City, in the last 10 years have been a football club built to win on the pitch first, and the rest comes second. Chelsea, Liverpool have found right balance in last 5 years. All the while Man United blow everyone into the dirt commercially, but fail time and time again when it comes to the sporting aspect of running a football club. 

Ashley wasn't arsed if we finished 17th or 13th - Glazer's aren't arsed if Man United finish 2nd or 7th as long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line. Principally I can see they are of the same mould Ashley was of. Manchester United are an advertising/brand vehicle now rather than being best of class.

That's why I say, they are the first club of their size to give up on sporting venture. No longer being best on pitch is the driving factor. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter, Milan, Liverpool - historically European football's giants; not own of those clubs, through whatever strife has ever given up the pursuit of being the best they can be on the pitch. 

Man United letting this season slide, interim - loaning OGS as an interim those years ago - tells me people who really run MU don't give a shit what happens on pitch as long as the club is making them money. Like I say, Mike Ashley's wet dream.    

This is exactly the point though...5/6 years just around 5/6/7 will start to hurt their bottom line eventually. Their sponsors will start dropping, their appeal abroad will start dropping in favour of teams that win things, and before you know it their signing Longstaff on a free to solidify their midfield

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

This would be terrible. He's the biggest yes man at the club and nothing but a Glazer puppet who knows fuck all about football.

Please fuck off Ed.

I always found the criticism of executives etc being yes men for the owners a bit odd of coarse he is that's why they appointed him 

15 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

This is exactly the point though...5/6 years just around 5/6/7 will start to hurt their bottom line eventually. Their sponsors will start dropping, their appeal abroad will start dropping in favour of teams that win things, and before you know it their signing Longstaff on a free to solidify their midfield

That's going on my list to Santa.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Yeah right. [emoji38]

I don't know who runs football insider but it might have just become my favourite site :lol:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-sir-alex-throws-his-weight-behind-man-united-appointing/

Apparently Ronaldo is also intimidating everyone with his moaning and whinging on the pitch, which was the most predictable thing ever.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/man-united-ronaldo-dressing-room-fears/

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I don't know who runs football insider but it might have just become my favourite site :lol:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-sir-alex-throws-his-weight-behind-man-united-appointing/

Apparently Ronaldo is also intimidating everyone with his moaning and whinging on the pitch, which was the most predictable thing ever.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/man-united-ronaldo-dressing-room-fears/

Yes, all of this is also nonsense. 

It's Pochettino lads. Sorry. 

39 minutes ago, LV said:

oh god please 

Would be the most awesome thing ever.

Come the end of the season when Brucie has steadied Man Utd to a solid 10th place, we can listen to all the pundits say his record was actually better than Ole's and he had to work with his hands tied behind his back as he could only spend £70m in the January window, so what was he supposed to do with that squad.

Absolutely fuck Bruce going there. He's an absolute load of shit and that becomes even more apparent as time goes on, but the fact is he could be a bit of a stabilising force.

The thought of him coming in, getting the dressing room on side and picking up a few points in nauseating enough. 

It might not fly at MUFC tbf and he might be a disaster from the get go, but that side is good enough to pick up points even with no tactical setup, as demonstrated by OGS. Do not want Bruce getting a modicum of credit. 

Imagine he comes in as an interim boss, picks up a few points with his 'slap the lads on the back and wish them the best of luck approach' and then they appoint someone proper. Makes us look like mugs again. Same as when Pardew left and Palace were flying under him, of course we were proved right in the end but it was grim seeing him do well there and especially embarrassing getting humped by the cunts when he was in charge. Of course, Palace and Man Utd are different beasts entirely.

Having said this though, there's no way they're going near Bruce. :lol: