The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

42 minutes ago, Ben said:

In most of his roles he seems to do quite well in his first season, however once the rot sets in he puts clubs back for years 

Because he'll come in, all jovial and "nice guy", having a laugh with the lads, plenty days off, no pesky thinking for the players to do on tactics or set pieces or whatnot and that will make everyone relaxed and happy and positive, playing for the manager etc.

Then after this non-tactical "do-as-you-please-and-run-about-a-bit" approach gets you tonked a few times, no win in 10 and the morale starts to slide, he's got absolutely fuck all else in the locker to try and arrest the negative momentum other than sniping at the press and blaming other people. Suddenly slapping them on the back and getting them fired up doesn't cut it and the players crave a tactical plan, direction, proper training etc.

Bit of a different case under Ashley where it was "get what you're given" but usually he oversees huge and constant squad turnover whilst spunking millions on bang average shite who he ends up barely playing.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

I wouldn’t even think Bruce got an interview for our job more a case of he was the only one who would take it.

He was something like 12th or 15th choice wasn't he?

On Norwich though, I've given up trying to understand why Newcastle and it's fans were given so much grief for wanting and then eventually sacking Bruce. Compared to the complete lack of adverse coverage ANY other club is getting when they sack their managers since our Bruce ordeal ended, even those, like Farke, who won their last match and still went. The hypocrisy from the media/pundits is utterly unfathomable, I can't even get angry about it anymore ??? ??? ???

Edited by Armchair Pundit

3 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

He was something like 12th or 15th choice wasn't he?

On Norwich though, I've given up trying to understand why Newcastle and it's fans were given so much grief for wanting and then eventually sacking Bruce. Compared to the complete lack of adverse coverage ANY other club is getting when they sack their managers since our Bruce ordeal ended, even those, like Farke, who won their last match and still went. The hypocrisy from the media/pundits is utterly unfathomable, I can't even get angry about it anymore ??? ??? ???

I think a lot of it is cos Bruce and his muppet of a son kept bleating on about it and phoning TalkSport and stuff with their sob stories.

These other managers have got a bit more decorum about them. 

There is also a definite anti-Newcastle, anti-north east bias in the media too of course. I mean, who do we think we are? We should know our place. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

There is also a definite anti-Newcastle, anti-north east bias in the media too of course. I mean, who do we think we are? We should know our place. 

See, while I agree with this, it's another thing I don't understand. I don't recall getting that sort of nonsense from the press during the 90s and early 2000s while Keegan and Robson were in charge.

5 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

See, while I agree with this, it's another thing I don't understand. I don't recall getting that sort of nonsense from the press during the 90s and early 2000s while Keegan and Robson were in charge.

Think it’s because we were actually in danger of being successful then.

And then when it fell away following Robson then the media were all like ‘who do you think you are to want that back again? That’s gone. You can never have it again. Everyone knows that Manchester Utd, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal deserve to be the most successful clubs. You’ve had your time’

And it’s also other fans too, not just the media. Look at how Villa fans reacted that time we went down.

Edited by LV

9 minutes ago, LV said:

And it’s also other fans too, not just the media. Look at how Villa fans reacted that time we went down.

True, I've never forgiven them for that. We've been the club that the rest of the Prem clubs like to laugh at, all that bollocks about us being deluded and having over-the-top expectations.