The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

There's also the very real chance that Benitez would still have taken the Everton job over the Saudi-owned NUFC job. Let's not forget that even if the takeover goes through it's not going to be another Man City situation so the Everton job would still be every bit as attractive to him. They are currently are a bigger club, have money to spend, have a better squad and are in his home city. There's every chance he would have still rejected us if both positions had been available at the same time. The idea that he "loved" NUFC is sentimental tosh, he simply recognised the potential of the club. But that potential is also there at Everton, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Element of truth to this.  Personally don't think there are that many around like him in terms of how he integrates into communities and so on but yeah if we'd got anyone half decent the pain would have been much easier to take.

Was the integration with the community more important because of Ashley though? The City owners have done a pretty good job of that without the need of a Rafa, I'd have confidence that the momentum of a takeover along with a Staveley/Reuben led PR push would give the city its club back and the manager just needs to 'get it' and build us up. We kinda needed the snaps by Tynemouth Priory with Rafa, not sure we would in a new era

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Thought he was going to Turkey 

He’ll be Turkey at Spurs come Xmas 

Edited by HTT II

52 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Was the integration with the community more important because of Ashley though? The City owners have done a pretty good job of that without the need of a Rafa, I'd have confidence that the momentum of a takeover along with a Staveley/Reuben led PR push would give the city its club back and the manager just needs to 'get it' and build us up. We kinda needed the snaps by Tynemouth Priory with Rafa, not sure we would in a new era

Possibly, possibly.

The thought of Rafa wanting a project or to be close to his family was proven bullshit when he decided to move to China.

He wants a job which is fair enough and he can’t be criticised for that, but this is another shit move for him.

It makes no sense on any level. It’d be a bit like Keegan joining the mackems.

20 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The thought of Rafa wanting a project or to be close to his family was proven bullshit when he decided to move to China.

He wants a job which is fair enough and he can’t be criticised for that, but this is another shit move for him.

It makes no sense on any level. It’d be a bit like Keegan joining the mackems.

Him joining a Chinese club was a project

Rafa went to China, probably in the full knowledge in the back of his mind that it wouldn't work out and he wouldn't be there for long, but would make a fortune in the process. There was also no obvious job available in the UK that would match his ambitions at that time so it was a no brainer.

The Everton job is on another level altogether. A consistently big English club that has ambition, money to spend, a new super-stadium on the horizon and in his home city. As long as he gets off to a decent start his LFC connections will be quickly forgotten. Football fans are massively fickle and Benitez knows this.

The china job was a no brainer for him - free reign to shape the club from top to bottom???

He was always gonna be all over something like that regardless of where it was.

The everton job is a no brainer,  but for different reasons.

Good luck to him. I wish he was waiting for the takeover to go through and coming back but hes still got to think about his family and career.

35 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Rafa went to China, probably in the full knowledge in the back of his mind that it wouldn't work out and he wouldn't be there for long, but would make a fortune in the process. There was also no obvious job available in the UK that would match his ambitions at that time so it was a no brainer.

The Everton job is on another level altogether. A consistently big English club that has ambition, money to spend, a new super-stadium on the horizon and in his home city. As long as he gets off to a decent start his LFC connections will be quickly forgotten. Football fans are massively fickle and Benitez knows this.

China was just to build a retirement fund, and always will be until people outside of China start watching it.

It never works out well when a manager goes from one team to managing their local rivals...We've got our own Bruce as a perfect example, although he seems to have made a career of alienating whole cities with his chopping and changing 

18 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

The china job was a no brainer for him - free reign to shape the club from top to bottom???

He was always gonna be all over something like that regardless of where it was.

The everton job is a no brainer,  but for different reasons.

Good luck to him. I wish he was waiting for the takeover to go through and coming back but hes still got to think about his family and career.

#wait

People got way too attached to Rafa, maybe me included. Probably because we’ve been starved of real quality for so long.

He would only come back if there was a takeover, and if there’s a takeover (massive if) then the world should be our oyster. There are plenty of good managers out there. Frankly I don’t really want to hear about him as a potential manager again, it’s time to move on.

Guest neesy111
1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

People got way too attached to Rafa, maybe me included. Probably because we’ve been starved of real quality for so long.

He would only come back if there was a takeover, and if there’s a takeover (massive if) then the world should be our oyster. There are plenty of good managers out there. Frankly I don’t really want to hear about him as a potential manager again, it’s time to move on.

Similar to myself.

I actually fancy a younger manager now in the Howe/Potter mould, we've had so many had beens etc.

8 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Similar to myself.

I actually fancy a younger manager now in the Howe/Potter mould, we've had so many had beens etc.

Gerrard for me, but think it’ll take Liverpool to get him to leave Rangers, totally loves it up there. 

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

China was just to build a retirement fund, and always will be until people outside of China start watching it.

Bit disingenuous to the Chinese. 14th highest league revenue in the world in 2019 and growing. One of the most watched leagues in the world and football is developing fast there. For a guy like Rafa being part of a defining moment in a country's footballing history seems a perfect match. He wasn't even paid that well according to reports.