The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm deadly serious. :lol:

I'm not slating the man. I think he's class. I love his philosophy. At the same time I don't see him as one of the greats and certainly not anywhere near the finest example of a football genius. 

I haven't seen a plan B from him. I respect the ideology but the likes of him coming to Old Trafford last season with the mindset he did was a huge mistake. 

He'll have his big wins like 5-0 against WBA and 5-2 against Newcastle, but I can't call someone a genius who can also lose 4-1 to Leicester and Palace. The amount of goals they shipped to the "big six" was absolutely obscene too. 

He’s undoubtedly one of the greatest of coaches, and I think that’s the key here with him, he’s a coach and arguably one of the best. Fergie wasn’t the greatest coach, but one of the best if not greatest managers. There can be a separation IMO of the two enough to be able to say, aye, Biesla is one of the best coaches ever. Or should be.

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm not slating the man. I think he's class. I love his philosophy. At the same time I don't see him as one of the greats and certainly not anywhere near the finest example of a football genius. 

I haven't seen a plan B from him. I respect the ideology but the likes of him coming to Old Trafford last season with the mindset he did was a huge mistake. 

He'll have his big wins like 5-0 against WBA and 5-2 against Newcastle, but I can't call someone a genius who can also lose 4-1 to Leicester and Palace. The amount of goals they shipped to the "big six" was absolutely obscene too. 

A true coach will stick to his principles, philosophies and believe in them and if it doesn't work now and again, don’t deviate from what he knows does and will work and it’s shown in his career/teams and players. Pep is similar in philosophy but tactically deviates and that helps and doesn’t as we saw in the CL final.

Guest neesy111
48 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Any bets on the first manager in the PL to be sacked?

Bruce.... (hopefully)

11 hours ago, ManDoon said:

He obviously has some strange facets in his personality that will probably stop him from ever being a multiple trophy winning coach, but not everything is measured in trophies, his legacy is the coaches he's inspired, and fans of the clubs he's managed all love him. His problem has always been his teams gassing out, and maybe he's too obsessed with football in a way, and if players/clubs don't meet those demands he just quits. I still remember when his Bilbao side beat Man U and it was the first time I'd seen aggressive all out pressing in that way, they were crazy to watch.

I was reading an article about it an Neville said the stats guy had to check the stats like 3 times because they couldn't beleive they were real.

Leeds actually tightened up loads at the end of last season n all. Conceded 10 goals in 12 games from March onwards.

Even the best manager in the land couldn’t even work out a way past his newly promoted team with no  plan B at Bellend Road.

I hope nobody is suggesting that Pep is still some kind of tactical genius. he has no plan B and after the Champions League final he's lucky he wasn't sacked. He's TT bitch despite the fact that City have much better players than Chelsea,

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Leeds actually tightened up loads at the end of last season n all. Conceded 10 goals in 12 games from March onwards.

Even the best manager in the land couldn’t even work out a way past his newly promoted team with no  plan B at Bellend Road.

Didn't they spend most of their promotion season and most of PL season with half their first choice defenders injured too?

7 hours ago, Away Toon said:

I hope nobody is suggesting that Pep is still some kind of tactical genius. he has no plan B and after the Champions League final he's lucky he wasn't sacked. He's TT bitch despite the fact that City have much better players than Chelsea,

:lol:

Guest neesy111
9 hours ago, Away Toon said:

I agree in knockout games he's been known to fall short but his league record is astonishing.

Edited by neesy111

Pep is definitely a tactical genius. Perhaps not flawless, though that might be down to stubbornness in terms of sticking with principles.

most teams press, and most teams play out from the back. Pep is responsible for that. He has brought forward a number of innovations towards certain positions  such as full backs, the way they come inside to offer new passing lanes while also being ready to nullify counter attacks allowing wingers to maintain width.

14 hours ago, Froggy said:

Judging a manager on a team he's brought up on a championship budget is a bit harsh. How many top teams has he actually coached? It's already been said he doesn't hang around long at places where he's not given free reign to implement his ideas, so he's obviously a tricky man to deal with for owners. But he's got a reputation among other managers for a reason. And just look at how his teams play man, he's as close to the foreign version of Keegan as you'll get....with the temper to match it seems like. :lol:

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Judging a manager on a team he's brought up on a championship budget is a bit harsh. How many top teams has he actually coached? It's already been said he doesn't hang around long at places where he's not given free reign to implement his ideas, so he's obviously a tricky man to deal with for owners. But he's got a reputation among other managers for a reason. And just look at how his teams play man, he's as close to the foreign version of Keegan as you'll get....with the temper to match it seems like. :lol:

Up from the Championship but they spent well over £100m last summer didn't they? 

He hasn't coached any "top" teams so to speak, but not sure how that can be used as a positive for him.

I love the way his teams play. Joy to watch. It was also a joy to watch Brendan Rodgers at Swansea and Roberto Martinez at Wigan. 

He's an excellent manager with an excellent philosophy (the way he sticks to his principles is why the likes of Guardiola love him, as he does the exact same thing whether its working or not), but he's not one of the greats and certainly not the finest example of a footballing genius. Not even close.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Up from the Championship but they spent well over £100m last summer didn't they? 

He hasn't coached any "top" teams so to speak, but not sure how that can be used as a positive for him.

I love the way his teams play. Joy to watch. It was also a joy to watch Brendan Rodgers at Swansea and Roberto Martinez at Wigan. 

He's an excellent manager with an excellent philosophy (the way he sticks to his principles is why the likes of Guardiola love him, as he does the exact same thing whether its working or not), but he's not one of the greats and certainly not the finest example of a footballing genius. Not even close.

What does £100m buy you when you are coming up from the championship? Leeds finished 9th when most pundits would have backed them to be in a relegation scrap. He could spend another £100m this season and you would still say he has no chance of winning anything, that's how far everyone else is behind the big players. 

He's not going to be considered one of the greats because he hasn't been at a top club, but it will be interesting to see how he progresses at Leeds if they back him, or if another PL club with more spending power comes in for him. I think only then can you make a proper judgement on his attributes as a top coach. 

On 23/07/2021 at 09:30, Froggy said:

You cant rate managers by trophies alone. Yes, he has his faults but look at the managers he has inspired - Poch, Sampaoli, Martino, Pellegrino - all came from his school. Pep, Simeone, Klopp all rate him as their inspiration and speak very highly of him.  There are several managers who ply their trade in the South/Central/US leagues who are from the Bielsa school or inspired by Bielsa. His impact on the game in Latin America is huge, way more than Rodgers and Martinez in Europe (and I really rate Rodgers).

Look at the players talking about him. Batistuta "he taught me everything". 

Simeone “I have the influence of several coaches: Bielsa, Eriksson, Basile, they have all left a mark. Bielsa taught me the most.” (not reflected in his football though)

Pochettino “It helped you find answers on the pitch. “All that homework – I wish all my friends could have experienced at least one per cent of what I did.”

Alexis Sanchez “I learned a lot from him and it is because of him that I am who I am. "

Ayala "In my case, personally speaking, he was the coach who made me perform or get to a very high level in every game."

There is an element of exaggeration in the praise but it also indicates the respect important and influential players and managers in the game have towards him. 

Edited by rgk_lfc

You definitely can't if it's Newcastle, they're all awful using that way :lol: (disrespecting Championships, Intertoto Cups and the odd pre-season cup, how could I?)

Edited by nbthree3