The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

10 hours ago, Manxst said:

MANCHESTER UNITED PLAYERS NOT ON INTERNATIONAL DUTY: 

Goalkeepers: Lee Grant, Tom Heaton, Dean Henderson

Defenders: Raphael Varane, Phil Jones, Alex Telles, Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Midfielders: Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, Amad Diallo, Nemanja Matic, Donny van de Beek

Forwards: Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Jadon Sancho

players and staff are surprised at being given a week off…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10179747/Manchester-United-players-staff-surprised-given-week-wake-derby-defeat.html

Daily Mail. :lol: :lol: 

Fairly common for there to be a few days off during an international break for those not on duty tbh, this is especially true in the November window due to how hectic the English league schedule is this time of year and players in England not getting Christmas off.

That said, in cases like our own with a new manager or for teams in crisis this period would be a time to reset and restructure, and as such a holiday would be weird.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

The way it should be. :lol: Our shadow still looms over some people apparently.

I don't think people are obsessed but just genuinely baffled at man u fans support of a manager who is clearly not good enough.

A lot of them have even convinced themselves that they wouldn't have taken Conte and even that there is literally not one manager out there right now that can do a better job than Ole [emoji38]

I'm no OGS fan, but is it not about finding the right fit? It's going to be difficult for them to compete for the major trophies this season, so they might as well wait for the right man to come along.

Another rushed appointment could set them back years. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

I'm no OGS fan, but is it not about finding the right fit? It's going to be difficult for them to compete for the major trophies this season, so they might as well wait for the right man to come along.

Another rushed appointment could set them back years. 

It's difficult for them to compete for trophies this season because Ole managed a top 3 squad in the world to where they are at right now [emoji38]

What he did to Van de Beek and what he is well on his way to doing to Sancho is a disgrace.

He signed CR7 and Varane, that should demand immediate success. If he's playing two 35+ year olds at striker with Rashford, Greenwood, and Sancho on the bench that would suggest all he cares about is immediate results. I watched Man U vs City and they looked like Bruce's Newcastle [emoji38] 

What is Ole's excuse? Pep got 100 points in the Premier league with Delph at LB, Klopp got to a CL final with Lovren and Karius.

I don’t think Solksjaer had much to do with the Cronaldo transfer tbh - and there’s quite a few vids around demonstrating how playing Cronaldo is fucking up the system they’d been building towards.

He really seems a Norwegian Bruce - pick XI likely lads and “let’s play”, everyone says what a nice bloke he is, completely bamboozled by any tactical sophistication…

7 minutes ago, 54 said:

Its going to be fascinating to see how that goes. Thoughts @brummie?

I would like to see him bomb spectacularly, but think he'll actually do ok. Yes i know he's only been Rangers manager and not really been challenged, but it will have instilled a winning mentality which is just as difficult to shake off as a losing one.. Hell even Souness managed win a few things after spending a few years there winning most matches. 

Reckon he'll take Villa to solid mid-table. Not really in any danger of relegation and maybe a few shock results here and there to solidify his media image of the 'new' PFM 

Tend to think these are bad moves career wise- do well at a lower level (Championship/Scotland) and jump at the chance to manage a PL club you can't really do much better with than the previous guy.  Always cite Ince leaving Wolves for Blackburn, was nothing to achieve there, was better off with Wolves for a few more years.

Could have experienced everything required for Liverpool had he stayed at Rangers - title challenges from behind/infront, cup finals, two legged games, Europe.

Been impressed with him but we'd have felt uncomfortable had we got him (he was just ahead of Lampard in last place in a poll wasn't he?), I'd have got behind him, big name, romantic but easier to see the upside when its someone elses experiment.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

Tend to think these are bad moves career wise- do well at a lower level (Championship/Scotland) and jump at the chance to manage a PL club you can't really do much better with than the previous guy.  Always cite Ince leaving Wolves for Blackburn, was nothing to achieve there, was better off with Wolves for a few more years.

Could have experienced everything required for Liverpool had he stayed at Rangers - title challenges from behind/infront, cup finals, two legged games, Europe.

Been impressive with him but we'd have felt uncomfortable had we got him, I'd have got behind him, big name, romantic but easier to see the upside when its someone elses experiment.

MK Dons Ince.

Ultimately they’re just keeping him warm for the Liverpool job if he does any good.

It can’t be anything other than a short term appointment. He’ll either fail and get the boot or be off to Liverpool in a year or two.

Will be interesting to see how he does. Sacking Smith for Gerrard is a bit, meh. A poor run of form, but have they improved their manager?

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

Guy's being written off before even managing his first Premier League game.

I think he’ll excel, for all hype around the PL, even Steve Bruce has had a good few season managing shitty teams, Villa have a good strong squad and seem ambitious and pro-active. He will have every chance to succeed.

it's a gamble, he's done fantastically with rangers bringing them from way behind Celtic to stopping the 10 in a row and doing reasonably well in Europe last year but the standard in the premier league is higher and he's not got a lot of room for error. Surprised he's going mid season mind given he's Steven Gerrard its not as if someone wouldn't take a punt on him at some stage so what's the rush? 

35 minutes ago, Menace said:

Guy's being written off before even managing his first Premier League game.

Gerrard looks like he could have all the ingredients of a top manager, but its hip to write off the young English manager who had a good playing career. It's a gamble though, just like Howe here (may be less of a one with current position/squad) and could got either way. Rather have Howe but I don't think there's too much difference if I'm honest. The worst thing about Gerrard is the Liverpool job which will haunt & overshadow every step of his Villa career. That's not something I really could be arsed with, guess Brummie & Co will feel the same. At least Lampard has done and bust his Chelsea dream job. :lol: