The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

6 hours ago, Joey47 said:

I don't think people are obsessed but just genuinely baffled at man u fans support of a manager who is clearly not good enough.

A lot of them have even convinced themselves that they wouldn't have taken Conte and even that there is literally not one manager out there right now that can do a better job than Ole [emoji38]

Devil's advocate, but fans of other teams couldn't understand why we hated Pardew. Yet the reasons are obvious to us, the fans of the club. 

2 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Wasn’t Purslow at Liverpool for a bit when Gerrard was still playing?

Jim White and Jordon reckon Purslow has been pushing for Gerrard for a while now.

Even if he does well at Villa, if he goes there, he doesn't really have any right to be in the running for the Liverpool job considering the stature that Klopp had before going and the level of the standards that have now been set.

Edited by kisearch

I always found the assumption that Liverpool would take him strange. They will be able to go for the best managers in the world, so unless Gerrard really dominated Celtic over a few years I don’t see why they would go for him. 

Edited by Kimbo

58 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Even if he does well at Villa, if he goes there, he doesn't really have any right to be in the running for the Liverpool job considering the stature that Klopp had before going and the level of the standards that have now been set.

Same was with Lampard at Chelsea. His only managerial experience was failing to get Derby promoted.

Same with OGS at Man Utd.

Teams often appoint managers that are going to be popular, rather than actually suitable for the role.

Have no doubt Gerrard will end up at Liverpool after Klopp, even if he just does an average job at Villa.

1 hour ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Assuming Gerrard to be the heir apparent at Liverpool seems bizarre to me. 

I think Gerrard has an awful lot to do to make himself worthy of the Liverpool job, given where Klopp has taken them.
I know it'd be a sentimental appointment but unless he really proves himself at PL level, he could take Liverpool back a long way.
I wouldn't want to be the manager that follows Klopp. On a hiding to nothing.

EDIT : Didn't see that kisearch said the same just before me.

Edited by Robster

Yep very interesting, the thing is even if he is the real deal that means it’ll only be a temporary job until Liverpool becomes free. It could even go on to have a knock on effect of destabilising Klopp if he’s really doing well.

Along with the news of Michael Edward leaving, they suddenly seem a little bit vulnerable to external factors.

Its not really about Villa at all, and this is precisely the reason I’m delighted he didn’t end up here.

If I were a Villa fan, I would be very very quickly sick of the "When's he going to Liverpool, when's he going to Liverpool?" that will be constant and relentless, especially when Liverpool lose a couple of games and Klopp gets a bit tetchy, as he tends to when that happens.

8 minutes ago, Wullie said:

If I were a Villa fan, I would be very very quickly sick of the "When's he going to Liverpool, when's he going to Liverpool?" that will be constant and relentless, especially when Liverpool lose a couple of games and Klopp gets a bit tetchy, as he tends to when that happens.

Precisely why I didn’t want him, along with the fact I wouldn’t want to be forced to listen to him talk multiple times a week.

He may well serve a purpose there, but it looks like an amplified version of the Lampard at Derby scenario to me.

9 hours ago, Wullie said:

I am already sick of it.

It was like this with Houllier - the love in - only at least with him there was no prospect of him going there as he'd already been there.

I can come to terms with the appointment, I suppose, but it is a bit deflating.

What is notable is that you and us, both clubs with plenty of money to spend, wound up looking at the same underwhelming cast of candidates. If it were just us, I'd worry about lack of ambition, but it wasn't.

I dunno. I guess if he gets in with a shout of the Liverpool job any time soon he'll have done very well here. Unless it were some sort of absurd OGS style fuckupathon.

Based on his record at Rangers and his discipline, I think it might be a good appointment for Villa, and I wouldn't have been devastated had we ended up with him either. He was one of my least favourite players back in the day and I've found a lot of his interviews as a manager pretty nauseating (he expects more from his players, cross-face, have you heard?), but I dunno, there's something about him which tells me he might make a good manager. 

12 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Is it?

1 domestic trophy out of nine since he went to Rangers with the resources available to him being significant for the league.

I'd say its a promising start to a career but nothing exceptional and nothing to suggest that he will be bale to take Villa up a notch

I've had it on good authority that (like a lot of these so called managers) he only went up there ( to Rangers ) to boost his ego. Apparently his wife still lives in Liverpool, so not made the effort to move.

Perhaps this could be to do with the fact that I believe that they are both Catholic's and every week (when playing at home at least) the Rangers fans sing anti catholic songs.

Would you have taken the position in the first place ? if being of a religious nature ?

TBH, with all that has been said and done, and with regard to our managers position and all of the hype that was generate by it, I hope it all goes pear shaped and they get relegated (for all of the 'managers' that took a look and then said 'No' - Wankers the lot of them).

Gerrard is one of those the media are going to be insufferable about too, if the fans aren't happy with him, as he's an English media darling. That is going to be such a pain in the arse man.

Really, really glad we ended up with Howe when we did, and the Emery thing didn't drag on only to fall apart later on, as I think Villa would have been in for Howe.

Edited by KaKa