The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Wooo. Think he'll be good but like @brummie said, a bit deflating. And the love-in would be a bit annoyying for Villa fans when it'll be all about Anfield and Liverpool instead of Villa Park and Aston Villa.

Feel a bit for Rangers. Put faith in him and Rangers were getting better. Hope they get a good replacement in. 

Edited by nufcjb

Think he’ll do enough to keep them up, comfortably so. But can’t see them pushing on with him.

That said, a steady job will probably be good enough for him to replace Klopp and it’ll be utterly nauseating between now and then. I can already imagine the build up to the next Liverpool-Villa game. LIVE ON SKY. :anguish: 

If I was picking between him and Lampard for us, I would’ve picked Lampard because he’s already ‘shooted’ his shot at the Chelsea job.

If he goes to Liverpool he goes to Liverpool, not many managers stick around for more than a few years now anyway. And if he does get the Liverpool gig off the back of the job he's done at Villa then it'll be because he'll have done well. If he takes Villa up another level then they can attract a better manager again anyway.

I’m actually interested in how this pans out, we need as many up and coming decent English or British coaches as we can get and I feel he will do well, really well, again I’d have had him at the Toon.

I honestly didn't see him leaving Rangers until the summer at the least, so this is quite surprising for me. I actually like Gerrard, which I realise isn't a very popular opinion :lol: but I can't stand Villa, so not really bothered what happens with this.

I just don't get it.

Villa have put together a really decent team and are quite an attractive prospect. Thought they would have gone for someone more established and experienced that could push them into Europe and try to win them some silverware, if they were going to bother getting rid of Smith.

Was expecting them to go for Lucien Favre, and that would have been quite a strong statement of intent I think. Bringing in Gerrard seems like a sideways move really, with greater potential no doubt, but in the short term it's not very ambitious.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I just don't get it.

Villa have put together a really decent team and are quite an attractive prospect. Thought they would have gone for someone more established and experienced that could push them into Europe and try to win them some silverware, if they were going to bother getting rid of Smith.

Was expecting them to go for Lucien Favre, and that would have been quite a strong statement of intent I think. Bringing in Gerrard seems like a sideways move really, with greater potential no doubt, but in the short term it's not very ambitious.

Purslow init 

5 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Very interesting :thup:

I'll give Gerrard a ton of credit for recognising his abilities and bringing him in and giving him the freedom to completely run the training sessions. That is a really promising sign for Gerrard as a manager I think. Always wondered why the oaf we had previously didn't do something similar with a top class coach.

44 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Think he’ll do enough to keep them up, comfortably so. But can’t see them pushing on with him.

That said, a steady job will probably be good enough for him to replace Klopp and it’ll be utterly nauseating between now and then. I can already imagine the build up to the next Liverpool-Villa game. LIVE ON SKY. :anguish: 

If I was picking between him and Lampard for us, I would’ve picked Lampard because he’s already ‘shooted’ his shot at the Chelsea job.

Lucky then that the Liverpool vs Villa hasn't been selected by Sky or BT. 

1 hour ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

I've had it on good authority that (like a lot of these so called managers) he only went up there ( to Rangers ) to boost his ego. Apparently his wife still lives in Liverpool, so not made the effort to move.

Perhaps this could be to do with the fact that I believe that they are both Catholic's and every week (when playing at home at least) the Rangers fans sing anti catholic songs.

Would you have taken the position in the first place ? if being of a religious nature ?

TBH, with all that has been said and done, and with regard to our managers position and all of the hype that was generate by it, I hope it all goes pear shaped and they get relegated (for all of the 'managers' that took a look and then said 'No' - Wankers the lot of them).

There may be some other reasons linked to Shrove Tuesday keeping Mrs G and the kids in Liverpool

Have to laugh, in the express last Saturday, there was a story in the 'Ahead of the Game' section, on how Sky have missed to the 'boat' to say on not being able to broadcast the first game in charge of Conte at Spurs.

This was because of the fixtures being done in advance.

It then went on to say that this is the second time it has happened in the they missed Ronaldo's first game for Man Utd.

Now they'll miss Eddie's first game against Brentford.

It now looks like they'll miss Gerrards game at Liverpool.

Hopefully they'll also miss the new manager at Norwich as well.

And also, as they have the scottish league - the first game of the new Rangers manager.

It wouldn't surprise me that they write something into their contract next time saying 'if you sack your manager you can't appoint anyone until the start of the next TV games window'.

20 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I always found the assumption that Liverpool would take him strange. They will be able to go for the best managers in the world, so unless Gerrard really dominated Celtic over a few years I don’t see why they would go for him. 

This is Owen Mk II. 

His entire time here was spent with people asking when's he going back to Liverpool.

Unless Gerrard seriously bombs with Villa he will be Liverpools manager when they sack Klopp (or  the German national team comes calling...only job I could see him taking now)