The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

I think it's a fucking insult that he's been linked with the job at all. I'll be absolutely gutted if by some mental twist it ends up happening. Literally zero honours as a manager and 7 wins in your last 38 PL games landing you the Man Utd job ffs. 

6 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Whilst I agree with everything you've said, this is the same oaf that got us to 12th last year by pure fucking luck. There's enough individual talent in that ManU squad to win big games despite who's on the touchline. It's the expectation of any sort of sustained success that will evade a PFM type.

I get what you're saying, but he got results with us in the classic neanderthal way of just having everyone sit on top of themselves in our own box, which is the classic PFM go to move. It's a grotesque approach that will inevitably manage to fluke enough results if you have a couple of 'bit of magic' players like we do with ASM and Wilson.

Can you imagine him setting up like that at Man Utd? Man Utd fans would be raging! He would have to have the team push up and play, and there will be no defensive plan or organisation to stop them getting badly exposed at the other end like they have been already this season. It would be pure chaos IMO.

Hopefully we get to see it happen. What a Christmas that would be ;D

Edited by KaKa

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think it's a fucking insult that he's been linked with the job at all. I'll be absolutely gutted if by some mental twist it ends up happening. Literally zero honours as a manager and 7 wins in your last 38 PL games landing you the Man Utd job ffs. 

It's as absurd as Trump being President. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I get what you're saying, but he got results with us in the classic neanderthal way of just having everyone sit on top of themselves in our own box, which is the classic PFM go to move. It's a grotesque approach that will inevitably manage to fluke enough results if you have a couple of 'bit of magic' players like we do with ASM and Wilson.

Can you imagine him setting up like that at Man Utd? Man Utd fans would be raging! He would have to have the team push up and play, and there will be no defensive plan or organisation to stop them getting badly exposed at the other end like they have been already this season. It would be pure chaos IMO.

We won't, but it would be a treat seeing him loathed by his true love. :lol:

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Football has never been fair. I personally think it’s hilarious how far Man Utd have fallen that the likes of Bruce are actually seriously being mentioned, whether it happens or not.

Bruce would be maddeningly fine there, Howe would fail to turn us into a juggernaut immediately, and we’d have to put up with all the gaslighting from the relentlessly thick dickheads who get paid to pontificate about this sport.

10 hours ago, KaKa said:

Got to remember he inherited a well-drilled team from Rafa too.  He won't be inheriting shit from Ole.

So they have contacted that ex-Barca manager then? Oh well. It's been fun teasing @Froggy with the idea of Bruce being their interim manager. :lol:

as much as I also want it to happen, I agree the Glazers are not that stupid. Or are they? Take my advice @Froggy. If anything the Mike Ashley era has taught us Newcastle fans is that even the most stupidest and dumbest of ideas, can still be made by idiots running a football club. 

Still, funny watching you try and squash the idea though when you have Sol Campbell and Peter Schmichael publicly saying Bruce should take the role.

Talking to Sky Sports, Bruce Jnr said: “Who knows? I think everyone knows he has a great relationship with the club. If they needed him, I’m sure he would be there to help.

I think they need to get a world-class, elite manager. If they can’t find someone at this present time, then I’m sure he would be up for it. “

what? He doesn’t think Daddy is world class or elite?! 

20 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Still, funny watching you try and squash the idea though when you have Sol Campbell and Peter Schmichael publicly saying Bruce should take the role.

Hargreaves was suggesting last night that if Carrick went on a similar run Ole did at the start that the board would have to consider giving him a permanent role. :lol: Footballers are thick cunts. Even the ones who are good pundits end up weird in some way, e.g. Scholes

34 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Hargreaves was suggesting last night that if Carrick went on a similar run Ole did at the start that the board would have to consider giving him a permanent role. :lol: Footballers are thick cunts. Even the ones who are good pundits end up weird in some way, e.g. Scholes

Isn't that how you ended up with Ole in the first place? Giggs was also doing the same gig right?

11 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Isn't that how you ended up with Ole in the first place? Giggs was also doing the same gig right?

Michael Carrick has had 1 game as a manager. Ole was managing for 10 years when he was appointed. There's a huge difference. :lol:

Zero chance Carrick gets anywhere near the job.

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Michael Carrick has had 1 game as a manager. Ole was managing for 10 years when he was appointed. There's a huge difference. :lol:

Zero chance Carrick gets anywhere near the job.

Well. Ok then.

But let's just say you guys do give it to Valverde. And you have an agreement with Poch to take over at the end of the season but Valverde wins you the FA Cup and Champions League. Surely there will be people who'll say, "hang on, he's built something good here. Why are we appointing Poch again to start ruining stuff?".

with us here, we had zero chance.of even coming into training let alone winning cups under Bruce so we binned him and got another shithead Jones on an interim. You guys have a lot to play for still.

Edited by nufcjb

51 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Scholes is one of the worst pundits man, he’s atrocious!

They want a Ferguson MKII. Problem is that doesn't exist anymore as there is simply too much competition in the league now.

At Ferguson's peak there might have been only one or two teams to trouble them for a title, now there's at least 4 who are as good or better than them every year and not just on odd occasions.

It's no longer a case where first or second is guaranteed for them. In theory apart from Moyes their permanent appointments should on paper at least delivered a title. It hasn't worked and now its just panic as to get in the best they can to look good and keep the profits up. 

They are on a downward spiral at the minute, and it's like watching us since Souness took over in slow motion. Hopefully they go for Bruce or Hughes like has been championed just to accelerate it a bit.

The calibre of manager or coach is so high now across the division (now Bruce has gone), even a top-class manager isn’t guaranteed. We are the bottom side, but in Howe we arguably have a better coach than Man Utd had in Fergie, if not a better manager obviously.

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

The calibre of manager or coach is so high now across the division (now Bruce has gone), even a top-class manager isn’t guaranteed. We are the bottom side, but in Howe we arguably have a better coach than Man Utd had in Fergie, if not a better manager obviously.

Agree, Ferguson had a knack of getting in the best coaches around at the time and made winning teams with them, and changed them the second they got stale.

Amusingly his most successful coaches went on to be absolutely dreadful managers...just shows that some have roles which are suited to them. What's that 'law' that says people are promoted to their level of incompetence? Seems to happen in football a hell of a lot

It's the 'Peter Principle'

Edited by gjohnson
accuracy

13 hours ago, KaKa said:

I genuinely cannot believe people can still say this sort of thing in today's football. It just doesn't work like this anymore. There are too many decent managers with very well thought out philosophies and preparation in this league now. From Pep at Man City at the top to Thomas Frank at Brentford who have only just come up.

It's clear Ole was already a manager that thought little of tactics and coaching and it caught up with him, and you really think Bruce who is definitely more clueless and far lazier, would get results there? Against the likes of Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Conte, Rodgers in the league without getting humiliated like they did by Liverpool last time out? Not to mention the cabbage then taking them into Champions League games with his 'lets play' philosophy? 

Spot on. There are individuals who 'don't need much coaching' for want of a better phrase in that side; Ronaldo, Varane, your experienced players if you like. But teams always need coaching, which is why the top coaches like the ones you mentioned are the top coaches. You can have brilliant 1 on 1 coaching and overall team coaching and some are better at one or the other but the two aren't always necessarily mutually exclusive, improving a player will improve the team and vice versa.

Brentford on Saturday were an example of a team that's brilliantly coached which Thomas Frank deserves full credit for, as those individuals aren't necessarily top PL level players but they're a good team. Cohesive, movement off the ball, anticipation, etc. 

This is more of a general topic as I'm unsure what Manchester United necessarily need. Mourinho failed despite a League Cup, Van Gaal failed despite a FA Cup, Solskjaer has failed despite building a brilliant squad of players. Pochettino would probably be the best choice for them, but how long before he comes under fire if he doesn't win a major trophy? Something he's still yet to achieve, as brilliant as he is.

13 hours ago, KaKa said:

I genuinely cannot believe people can still say this sort of thing in today's football. It just doesn't work like this anymore. There are too many decent managers with very well thought out philosophies and preparation in this league now. From Pep at Man City at the top to Thomas Frank at Brentford who have only just come up.

It's clear Ole was already a manager that thought little of tactics and coaching and it caught up with him, and you really think Bruce who is definitely more clueless and far lazier, would get results there? Against the likes of Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Conte, Rodgers in the league without getting humiliated like they did by Liverpool last time out? Not to mention the cabbage then taking them into Champions League games with his 'lets play' philosophy? 

The idea that he can just go in there and remind them what a privilege it is to play for Man Utd and that will suddenly get them playing at a high level is impossibly funny to me, and I pray they get suckered into it by all these ridiculously pompous ex-Man Utd players that they flood the studios with every time there's football on. This would be so incredibly satisfying if it transpires man. Fingers firmly crossed.

Look forward to Man Utd packing 10 men in their box and then lumping the ball up to Ronaldo on the half way line every time the ball comes near them, in order to stop them conceding so many goals.

Wasn't really meaning that top teams don't need a top class manager and a top class game plan, you can see that in Chelsea now that it makes a huge difference. All I meant was that at the toon most players are very average and alot not even Premier league quality so to get the best our of them they really need a manager to get them playing at a much higher level or a way that gets results as proven on Saturday with us. I could see anyone going in to man u and in short term getting better results just by laying down the law and a new face just because they have great player's. Long term it wouldn't work but I might long enough to say we were too hard on him.

2 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Wasn't really meaning that top teams don't need a top class manager and a top class game plan, you can see that in Chelsea now that it makes a huge difference. All I meant was that at the toon most players are very average and alot not even Premier league quality so to get the best our of them they really need a manager to get them playing at a much higher level or a way that gets results as proven on Saturday with us. I could see anyone going in to man u and in short term getting better results just by laying down the law and a new face just because they have great player's. Long term it wouldn't work but I might long enough to say we were too hard on him.

Ah, okay. I see what you mean.

I'm not so sure though. I think the calibre of players they have, especially in Ronaldo and Varane would be so disgusted by his general cluelessness it would lead to a revolt. Think of the clubs, managers and the games those two have played in man. They would be absolutely floored by the incompetence of Bruce and the Steves.

Man Utd’s problems run way deeper than whoever their current manager of the club is.

As was mentioned before, Ferguson ran the place like a shop steward, total control from top to bottom. Since he’s left, all of that has disappeared and personalities have come to the fore,  whether it was Pogba was his mini battle of egos with Mourinho, or whatever. They’re in a cycle now if when it’s not working, they down tools. Putting everything on a manager and nothing on themselves.

They (the club) knew who they were and now they don’t. The people at boardroom leadership who have been there for years didn’t have to do all that much when Ferguson was there, they were successful and money rolled in. He requested a player and they got them. It ran itself essentially. Now they don’t know where to start.

Whoever manager they choose will not work out until they fix the structure going on at the club. So they may as well hire a pleb like Bruce. Makes no difference.