The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

On 23/04/2024 at 11:47, Yorkie said:

What will be somewhat (/incredibly) depressing is if Chelsea are the ones to take advantage of any 'unsettledness' and steal a march. Still an awful lot of repair work to do on their squad, mind, but you'd expect Pochettino to get them on the straight and narrow eventually. 

Be canny if they have a shit end to the season (yesterday was a good start) so Yankee Todd panics and sacks Poch. 

Arne Slot going would be a huge loss for wor Minteh lad. Slot is a massive advocate for the lad at Feyenoord.

That attitude around youth will be great at Liverpool. They've got a young crop there that could be special.

Liverpool might need to be content with being a little off the pace for a season or two in the league.

2 hours ago, 54 said:

I wonder if with teams increasingly having a more holistic style of play and coaching at all levels we'll see a few more of these semi leftfield appointments. DofFs may increasingly identity managers who match this style over ones who have higher profiles but are stylistically less good fits. Especially at successful clubs whose style is seen to be yielding results.  For example there were a few pieces saying Alonso was a stark contrast to Klopp in key areas. If so perhaps Liverpool weren't that interested in the first place or didn't really go all guns for him.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Think there was a chance he could. I would've liked to have seen him have a dominant season over there.

I think I'd rather test himself in a different division if he isn't staying here next season. 

Not sure I see the point in loaning him back to a division he's already proved himself in

7 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I wonder if with teams increasingly having a more holistic style of play and coaching at all levels we'll see a few more of these semi leftfield appointments. DofFs may increasingly identity managers who match this style over ones who have higher profiles but are stylistically less good fits. Especially at successful clubs whose style is seen to be yielding results.  For example there were a few pieces saying Alonso was a stark contrast to Klopp in key areas. If so perhaps Liverpool weren't that interested in the first place or didn't really go all guns for him.

I also think the Liverpool job isn't that attractive.

It's halfway through a rebuild in another manager's vision. Liverpool have money to spend but are fairly strict with their limits. They've been gazumped by Real & Chelsea multiple times for transfer targets. Klopp wanted Tchoumani, Bellingham & Caicedo in midfield. They have Endo & MacAllister.

Finihsing 2nd & 3rd wouldn't be seen as a success.

I'm hoping for Xabi at Real. Let Carlo do his thing with Mbappe and co. next season. Then give Xabi the keys.

8 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think I'd rather test himself in a different division if he isn't staying here next season. 

Not sure I see the point in loaning him back to a division he's already proved himself in

He's scored 10 goals. 9 in the league. A lot of his earlier minutes have been off the bench.

A season where he's a regular starter across the season. Notching up 25+ goal contributions would be great.

You can't underestimate how important it is for the lad to be settled in an area that he likes. With a squad and teammates that like and respect him. He's only 19 and has already moved countries twice to play football.

If he's developing at a good pace. Let him continue to develop. Suarez spent 4.5 years in the Eredivise and developed season on season. IMO there's no rush to have him playing at Norwich for a season. Let him settle, make friends etc.

If we want to bring him home great.

Edited by The College Dropout

The Eredivisie is notoriously bad for being unable to gauge if attackers are any good or not. Look at Antony

I'd rather keep him here but if not I'd rather send him to another league. Could be Portugal, the Championship

1 hour ago, OCK said:

I'm fairly confident we'll all get a chance to be Watford manager within the next 10 years

"She's not yours, it's just your turn" said about Katie Price and the Watford job.

1 hour ago, OCK said:

I'm fairly confident we'll all get a chance to be Watford manager within the next 10 years

Statistically 1 in 3 adults have already been Watford manager