The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Didn't you join a long time after tubes was banned?

Yeah. Well, that depends on which tubes account you’re talking about :lol: 

Browsed the forum for many years. On and off at times though. There was a period where I didn’t come on at all for about a year. But apart from that, probably 6+ years before I joined.

Terrible move for howe, not going to celtic, massive club fanatical fan base, couple of good signings and they would be winning titles and domestic honours, with a few European nights under the flood lights at Park head... Whats next for him now managing mid table prem teams like palace and Southampton where its an achievement finishing above 12th, he will never get an opportunity like that again

Postecoglou is a very good coach, but all of his success has come in Australia, apart from the recent J-League title.  He also cracked under the pressure towards the end in the Australian National Manager job. 

The criticism was unfair, but it's Australia - the Socceroos and the sport in general locally are a non entity outside of the pool stages of the World Cup every 4 years.  If he couldn't handle that, good luck with the bullshit that you have to put up with being the Celtic manager where a Domestic Treble at best buys you another 12 months.

Zidane's open letter to Madrid fans

https://en.as.com/en/2021/05/31/football/1622417445_986023.html

Dear Real Madrid fans,

For more than 20 years, from the first day I arrived in Madrid and wore the white shirt, you’ve shown me your love. I’ve always felt that there was something special between us. I’ve had the enormous honour of being a player and the coach of the greatest club ever, but above all I’m just another Madrid fan. For all these reasons I wanted to write this letter, to say goodbye to you and explain my decision to leave the coaching job.

When, in March 2019, I accepted the offer to return to Real Madrid after a break of eight months it was, of course, because President Florentino Pérez asked me, but also because all of you asked me every day to do so. When I met any of you in the street I felt your support and the desire to see me with the team again. Because I share the values of Real Madrid; this club belongs to its members, its fans and the entire world. I’ve tried to follow these values in everything I have done, and I’ve tried to be an example. Being at Madrid for 20 years is the most beautiful thing that’s happened to me in my life and I know I owe that entirely to the fact Florentino Pérez backed me in 2001, he fought to get me, to bring me here when some people were against it. I say it from the heart when I say that I will always be grateful to the ‘presi’ for that. Always.

I have now decided to leave and I want to properly explain the reasons. I’m going, but I’m not jumping overboard, nor am I tired of coaching. In May 2018 I left because after two and a half years, with so many victories and so many trophies, I felt the team needed a new approach to stay at the very highest level. Right now, things are different. I’m leaving because I feel the club no longer has the faith in me I need, nor the support to build something in the medium or long term. I understand football and I know the demands of a club like Real Madrid. I know when you don’t win, you have to leave. But with this a very important thing has been forgotten, everything I built day-to-day has been forgotten, what I brought to my relationships with the players, with the 150 people who work with and around the team. I’m a natural-born winner and I was here to win trophies, but even more important than this are the people, their feelings, life itself and I have the sensation these things have not been taken into account, that there has been a failure to understand that these things also keep the dynamics of a great club going. To some extent I have even been rebuked for it.

I want there to be respect for what we have achieved together. I would have liked my relationship with the club and the president over the past few months to have been a little different to that of other coaches. I wasn’t asking for privileges, of course not, just a little more recollection. These days the life of a coach in the dugout at a big club is two seasons, little more. For it to last longer the human relationships are essential, they are more important than money, more important than fame, more important than everything. They need to be nurtured. That’s why it hurt me so much when I read in the press, after a defeat, that I would be sacked if I didn’t win the next game. It hurt me and the whole team because these deliberately leaked messages to the media negatively influenced the squad, they created doubts and misunderstandings. Luckily I had these amazing lads who were with me to the death. When things turned ugly they saved me with magnificent victories. Because they believed in me and knew I believed in them. Of course I’m not the best coach in the world, but I’m able to give everyone, whether it’s a player, a member of the coaching staff or any employee, the strength and confidence they need in their job. I know perfectly well what a team needs. Over these 20 years at Madrid I’ve learnt that you, the fans, want to win, of course, but above all you want us to give our all: the coach, the staff, the employees and of course the players. And I can assure you we’ve given 100% of ourselves to this club.

I’d like to take this opportunity to send a message to the journalists. I’ve given hundreds of press conferences and unfortunately we have spoken very little of football, though I know that you love football, this sport that brings us together. However, and without any desire to criticise or lecture, I would have liked the questions not to have always been about controversy, that we might have talked more often about the game and above all the players, who are and always will be the most important thing in this sport. Let’s not forget about football, let’s care for it.

Dear Madrid fans, I will always be one of you.

Hala Madrid!

Zinedine Zidane

On 28/05/2021 at 02:19, Froggy said:

What were Chelsea's distractions? :lol: Lampard? Liverpool's distractions were losing defenders to injury? Liverpool had more CB's at their disposal than we did. Not like Klopp's teams to start dying off with injury either...

People seem to forget we had no real pre-season this year and played 61 games. Rashford and Bruno were absolutely shagged by March/April. 

Greenwood and Martial were two of our best players last season and scored 40 goals between them. Yet this year Martial has had his issues with form and injury and Greenwood was non-existent for months due to being depressed at his close friend committing suicide.

Our captain who played essentially every single game for us since joining was missing for the final in which we dominated but conceded from a set piece.

As always on here it's all about how Ole is certain to fail and the only reason we finished ahead of Chelsea and Liverpool is because of their issues, as if we had none of our own. :lol: A very poor lack of insight, blinded by hatred of the club. Everyone on here gave Ole less than a year. You have all been wrong. None of you understand the impact he has made around the club either. Clearing out the leeches and the team finally becoming a team. Everyone is happy, and that hasn't been the case for years.

Ole has brought us from 6th to 3rd to 2nd. He deserves a new contract. You can evaluate him again at the end of next season, when the expectation will have increased. He has 1-2 years now to win trophies, simple as that.

If you don't like your beloved MU being criticised don't post on here. You can be sure that firstly virtually every NUFC supporters dislikes/hates MU to various degrees and most of us think that your manager is an under performing nonentity that should be replaced asap unless your owners are happy pulling money out of the club and not actually winning anything. I would never post of any other clubs boards because I have no interest at all in what other clubs are doing.

6 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What is wrong at Everton? They seem to buy well and recruit decent managers but it always seems to go to shit or be totally average.

They can always cobble together a decent looking First XI, but they will never be able to have the depth of the Top Clubs who will have 9 figures worth of players in their unused substitute list.

After Lukaku they also never had a workhorse striker they can strap themselves to and give them 35 goals a season across all competitions.  

4 hours ago, Pandamninator said:

They can always cobble together a decent looking First XI, but they will never be able to have the depth of the Top Clubs who will have 9 figures worth of players in their unused substitute list.

After Lukaku they also never had a workhorse striker they can strap themselves to and give them 35 goals a season across all competitions.  

But you could say the same about Leicester - beyond their first 11 the squad is really poor, but they’ve manage to do well (and much better than Everton) the last few seasons.

Agree re: Lukaku leaving though.

4 hours ago, Pandamninator said:

I'd say their recruitment was pretty poor until Anchelotti came in. Spending bucket fulls on the likes of Iwobi.

They look painfully one paced and take an age to get the ball from back to front. Its why the likes and us and Fulham found it so easy to sit in at Goodison. They could actually do with someone like ASM.

Must be really frustrating being an Everton fan. The owner seems engaged and has made a lot of funds available and has also brought in decent managers but it's all been pretty unimpressive in the end.

7 minutes ago, Menace said:

Aye, their "project" has flopped. In excess of what £500M spent and just a handful of average/decent players.

Was just thinking - from the likes of Everton who would I have starting for us?

i honestly can’t think of many - Allan for Shelvey? Richardson/ASM DCL/Wilson - not much of a difference - Digne for Ritchie - that’s about it 

Just now, The Prophet said:

Digne, Godfrey, Keane, Doucoure  Allan, James, Richarlison and DCL would all walk into our side like. I've probably forgotten a couple too.

why are you bringing us into it? :lol:

better comparison would be would they walk into the teams above or around them - so leeds, arsenal, spurs, west ham?  I'd probably argue the ones in bold would yeah

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Digne, Godfrey, Keane, Doucoure  Allan, James, Richarlison and DCL would all walk into our side like. I've probably forgotten a couple too.

Godfrey is a good prospect - however I am satisfied with our collection of CBs

Doucoure? Willock for me

James? Been crocked for 5 years - rather have Miggy

Keane? Not better than Schar/Lascelles and  Lejuene in our back 3

5 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

why are you bringing us into it? :lol:

better comparison would be would they walk into the teams above or around them - so leeds, arsenal, spurs, west ham?  I'd probably argue the ones in bold would yeah

I'm just in awe that with our squad deficiencies, anyone would take two to three players only from the Everton squad.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm just in awe that with our squad deficiencies, anyone would take two to three players only from the Everton squad.

I did say our starting XI - not squad