The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

31 minutes ago, ATF said:

Pretty sure Rafa would take that job if the right guarantees were made.

It would be absolutely ideal for him given his family base in the Wirral. Hard not to imagine he really fancies it.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

Is it really that common to talk to x players at former clubs? Particularly asking about training methods and thinking how you can improve the team? 

That’s Rafa all over though, he isn’t employed by us anymore but I guarantee he evaluates every game he can with us even as a former manager and that’s one of the reasons I love him, and yes it’s common with a manager like Rafa. 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, astraguy said:

Would the Liverpool connection put him and Everton off though? I sure hope so for our sake 

I don’t think so, it’s been that long anyway and given his standing in that city across Red and Blue, he’d get a pass, he donated to the justice for the 96 for example and local hospitals etc. That and I’m pretty sure he’s too professional to let bias get in the way of things, even if it upsets others. LFC fans were not happy he went to Chelsea given their battles when Rafa was their manager and given how Chelsea fans disliked him as he often chastised them as a fanbase etc. He’d go there if he thought it was the right job and the right time 100% and right now he’d be a great fit for them and more likely to get them into the top 6 and fighting for honours than an Ancelotti.

5 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Would the Liverpool connection put him and Everton off though? I sure hope so for our sake 

I don't think it would put him off. Man United are the one club that would put a tarnish on his Liverpool legacy if he ever managed them. The rivalry with Everton is not venomous in that way and given it's been eleven years since he left Liverpool, I don't think that would be an issue. It wasn't when he went to Chelsea either.

I imagine for Everton it would be a discussion point but if they really wanted him I don't think the Liverpool connection would put them off.

https://theathletic.com/news/carlo-ancelotti-real-madrid-next-manager-everton/CB69EnpalM5F "

Everton are now thought to be drawing up a shortlist of possible replacements although no contact has been made. A shock name in the frame is Rangers manager Steven Gerrard, although the former Liverpool captain is not the only candidate.

Others include Rafa Benitez, David Moyes — who would be considered unlikely at this stage — Paulo Fonseca, Erik ten Hag and Roberto Martinez."

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Is he that good?

Managed the best team to ever be promoted to the PL?

4 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Is he that good?

Apart from last season, for which there are some excuses, he's been excellent at Wolves for me like 

Doubt Palace could do much better.

God forbid a manager should have a fallow period of a few months having lost his two main goalscorers, after promotion, two top half finishes and a European quarter final. Good enough to manage a club like Crystal Palace? Pah! Throw him on the scrapheap with the rest.