The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

On 11/06/2021 at 17:12, Kimbo said:

Mark Hughes wouldn’t come here, he thinks we all expect champions league football or some shit.

He would be here like a rat up a drain pipe if Ashley rang him. 

Rafa's back in the mix for the Everton job, according to Talksport, who in fairness are usually decent with managerial changes. https://talksport.com/football/895720/everton-next-manager-rafa-benitez-liverpool-santo-talks/ 

However I open the link and am greeted with a claim that "his time has come and gone" which I don't believe to be true. Edwards was right in a way, no other club respects him enough to want him as their manager! I saw some people saying on an Athletic article of all places, you'd expect them to be quite informative with the stats and so on, that Bruce has done an identical job, even a better job, so what's the point in Rafa? 

2 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Rafa's back in the mix for the Everton job, according to Talksport, who in fairness are usually decent with managerial changes. https://talksport.com/football/895720/everton-next-manager-rafa-benitez-liverpool-santo-talks/ 

However I open the link and am greeted with a claim that "his time has come and gone" which I don't believe to be true. Edwards was right in a way, no other club respects him enough to want him as their manager! I saw some people saying on an Athletic article of all places, you'd expect them to be quite informative with the stats and so on, that Bruce has done an identical job, even a better job, so what's the point in Rafa? 

If by identical job they mean completely rebuilding a failed team, getting them promoted at the first attempt in a tough league where half the recently relegated teams still are stuck, kept them up the following season with virtual an identical squad, improving on that in the second season in the PL with pitiful investment and the same midfield and defence as got them promoted, as opposed to taking said team, having £100m thrown at it and a stash of attacking quality, making them woefully defensively and worse going forward, and finishing on the same amount of points as the newly promoted team, then yes. Identical.

Problem is casuals look at points totals, that's it. If we're judging only that yeah identical, to the letter. 44 and 45. Nice defence there, worth a like. Last summer he was all about not stagnating, so I'm holding him to higher standards next season if he stays

He would be silly to go there. He would be like Bruce coming here, where the fans don’t want him from the off and when things aren’t going smooth, he will be public enemy number 1.

Bit like this Chelsea move. He doesn’t pick his clubs very well, wor Rafa… 

Guest neesy111

Or he's keeping his options open as he can't wait around forever....

Edited by neesy111

4 hours ago, Danh1 said:

He would be silly to go there. He would be like Bruce coming here, where the fans don’t want him from the off and when things aren’t going smooth, he will be public enemy number 1.

Bit like this Chelsea move. He doesn’t pick his clubs very well, wor Rafa… 

Agree with this. Easy to see why he likes the idea of living in Liverpool again but their fans absolutely hate him - will be vicious when it inevitably goes wrong like you say. Only club fans' forums I've seen this summer who actually wanted Rafa were Crystal Palace - wonder if that could still be a goer? 

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The difference is Rafa is good enough to let results on the pitch show he’s the right person for the job. Steve Bruce most certainly isn’t.

Agree with this. Previousl I could never see him going to Everton, but with Klopp becoming such a favourite there, and with Rafa's association somewhat lesser than it was, I think he would be given time to prove himself to Everton fans. Rafa would certainly be confident in his methods, but it would be sticky to start with if results didn't come quickly. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The difference is Rafa is good enough to let results on the pitch show he’s the right person for the job. Steve Bruce most certainly isn’t.

Yeah that is true, I feel ill that I compared the two in any way. 

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Talksport saying Rafa is the new Everton manager 

The best appointment they could ever make, sadly!