The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We let Bruce take the job with barely a whimper and 40k at his first game.

Probably because there was some unspoken empathy for his local connections and Englishness. 

I really can't fathom Everton fans like, what makes them think they should be bringing in the top names from management? They're neither established as a big club at the top end of the table or successful enough to attract that calibre imo, they were incredibly lucky to have Ancelotti for the brief period they did. Yes, you could draw parallels of that with us and Rafa but we know we were lucky to have him and don't expect another big name to walk through the door, certainly not as things stand. Everton may have had a little more success on the pitch in terms of league placing in recent years to us but they're certainly no bigger than us, they're scouse mackems at best.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/everton-still-want-rafa-benitez-8q80093qh

Rafa Benítez has held further talks with Everton’s hierarchy and remains in pole position to become the club’s new manager.

Everton owner Farhad Moshiri and his associates continue to see Benítez as the man needed to take the club forward despite supporter unrest at the interest in the former Liverpool manager.

Benítez has now had four rounds of discussions with Everton, who are looking to appoint a successor to Carlo Ancelotti after he quit to rejoin Real Madrid. The fact the latest negotiations took place after an initial backlash from fans underlines how keen Everton are on Benítez, although no formal offer has been made.

3 hours ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

:facepalm:what are you doing Rafa [emoji38]

As I said he wasn’t going to wait. If a job was available that fitted the profile then he would be willing to take the opportunity. I do think though if he had the choice to choose between Everton and us under new ownership, then he would probably choose here (even with his home being very close to Everton. Another thing do we know if the Consortium are still seeing Rafa as their preferred choice? I know last year it was reported he was, but one thing crossed my mind today, that the Consortium and Ashley have obviously been working closely together for a good while now. Has Ashley been telling stories/problems with Rafa (he’s certainly the type who would) and this has made the Consortium think again. Of course, it could just be that the Consortium can’t give the guarantee that the takeover will happen and/or when it will happen in the event it does get the green light. Looks like Rafa 100% wants the job and the hold up has only been due to the massive fan backlash. 

Think a few need to let go of the concept of Rafa coming back. He’s not coming back in the current state and if this takeover happens we’ll find someone infinitely better than Bruce and make a new messiah out of them. 

On 21/06/2021 at 17:31, Optimistic Nut said:

Potter would be good. 

At Spurs?  He'd have to hit the ground running imo, their expectations are totally out of whack with their status and they'd turn on him in a heartbeat as soon as things start looking dodgy

The more I think about it the less I think it's a good idea for Benitez to come back tbh. It's never the same the second time around and if we have strong financial backing I think a lot of our support would get antsy about the conservative football.

I think Rafa got a lot of leeway from the support because of Ashley's penny pinching, together with the fact that he was a big name who was prepared to come to the club, despite the owner.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If the transfer budget is that bad, most managers would be better to steer clear. 

Especially as seems likely Kane is away. The massive cost new stadium expansion and the collapse of the ES, has left them with major problems. I actually thought four year ago they looked the best bet to be the club most likely to challenge Man City. Think they may be struggling to make the top six anytime soon.

Guest HTT II
3 hours ago, Wandy said:

The more I think about it the less I think it's a good idea for Benitez to come back tbh. It's never the same the second time around and if we have strong financial backing I think a lot of our support would get antsy about the conservative football.

I think Rafa got a lot of leeway from the support because of Ashley's penny pinching, together with the fact that he was a big name who was prepared to come to the club, despite the owner.

Rafa is exactly who a new owner would/should want in terms of restructuring the club bottom up given his expertise in almost every area, regardless of what goes on on the pitch. I mean Rafa with decent money would still deliver on the pitch anyway!

Edited by HTT II

Fuck Sputs to be honest. Pretending to be a big team. Sneaking their way into the ESL was laughable. Kane leaves them, and they'd be back where they belong, being a mid table shit team. 

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Rafa is exactly who a new owner would/should want in terms of restructuring the club bottom up given his expertise in almost every area, regardless of what goes on on the pitch. I mean Rafa with decent KK meh, would deliver in the pitch anyway!

I agree. But if he does end up back here I don't think he will be held on a pedestal like he was the first time around.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I agree. But if he does end up back here I don't think he will be held on a pedestal like he was the first time around.

I think with good money, he’d have us playing the best football we’ve seen since Sir Bobby which wasn’t always attractive remember, and would give us a good chance of silverware. I see your points though!

Edited by HTT II

Just now, HTT II said:

I think with good money, he’d have us playing the best football we’ve seen since Sir Bobby which wasn’t always attractive remember, and would give us a good chance of silverware. 

Again I agree. I never had a problem with Benitez's pragmatic approach and would be happy to see us be like that again. Not sure if the entire fanbase would though. Depends on what the new owners' approach to transfers and short-term targets are.

A lot of our fanbase are insufferable idiots enough as it is, let alone without being the (theoretically) richest club in the world. Rafa would get on with it and do a stellar job.

Edited by ShoTime

People would have to understand that while he's managing the first team he's also overseeing rebuilding the infrastructure from the ground up.  He would be the vision caster for what the facilities should be and the structure of the backroom staff with a focus on youth development.  Our club is stripped to the bones after the pandemic and he would be involved in filling out the entire football related staff.  

The football under Rafa wasn't even bad anyway for the most part, especially when we had Miggy, Rondon and Ayoze complimenting each other.

Yea, when we played Man City it was park the bus, we had no choice.

Don't know what people are on about tbh.

We scored some lovely team goals, Rondon Huddersfield away was mint.

Edited by ToonArmy1892