The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Come on now :lol: Unless the project was to earn money, absolute bollocks did he go there to build Dalian.

He could have earned money anywhere

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

He was paid more per year at Newcastle than Dalian.

Granted, he was the 7th best paid manager in the Premier League when he was with us.

Edited by Kaizero

Can't blame him for making major bank for a year before a job that really appealed to him came along. It was hardly a non-project either, they're investing shitloads and he was at the centre of it. 

Really sad that he's going to be representing another PL team, don't care who it is really. Once he wins the fans round I think it's a good match and there's a lot of potential there. 

Just now, joeyt said:

You’ve not answered what the project was in China?

If money wasn’t the decision maker and he wanted to stay with his family, why wouldn’t he take a Championship or PL team on who needed a manager around the time? Or waited for the first set of managers to get the boot?

You can’t say you want to stay close to Liverpool and then move to the other side of the world into a nothing league. 

Can't see anyway in which it ends well but good luck to him, the two lads I know who are Evertonians are anything but impressed that they've got a Liverpool legend in.

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

He was paid more per year at Newcastle than Dalian.

Granted, he was the 7th best paid manager in the Premier League when he was with us.

Thought he was paid £14-16m a year there compared to the £5-6m here?

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

If money wasn’t the decision maker and he wanted to stay with his family, why wouldn’t he take a Championship or PL team on who needed a manager around the time? Or waited for the first set of managers to get the boot?

You can’t say you want to stay close to Liverpool and then move to the other side of the world into a nothing league. 

Will have to double check but I think quite a bit has happened in the world since he took the Dalian job. 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

:serious:

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Course you can. That is your preference, but it doesn't mean no other opportunity will ever interest you ever. 

Just now, Dokko said:

Thought he was paid £14-16m a year there compared to the £5-6m here?

I read it was for the extent of the contract, which would be £12m / 3 years = £4m. £12m a year would be Man City levels of money, Dalian isn't that rich.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

He was given pretty much a blank cheque to develop a club in a rising league.

I'm not doubting money would have been a factor but it still sounds like a challenge which Rafa would have enjoyed. Obviously Covid and the new league restrictions probably altered that project to what he hoped

12 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Bit disingenuous to the Chinese. 14th highest league revenue in the world in 2019 and growing. One of the most watched leagues in the world and football is developing fast there. For a guy like Rafa being part of a defining moment in a country's footballing history seems a perfect match. He wasn't even paid that well according to reports.

Not really....it might have a lot of viewers but it's still massively behind the top leagues....years behind even the MLS

6 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I read it was for the extent of the contract, which would be £12m / 3 years = £4m. £12m a year would be Man City levels of money, Dalian isn't that rich.

Everything I read at the time and pulled up just there suggests £12m a year was the salary. It might be wrong, but that is pretty much all the British press getting it wrong at the time. 

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Not really....it might have a lot of viewers but it's still massively behind the top leagues....years behind even the MLS

Hence the project part of it. He'd be part of defining Chinese football in history if things went to plan.

Edited by Kaizero

8 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Everything I read at the time and pulled up just there suggests £12m a year was the salary. It might be wrong, but that is pretty much all the British press getting it wrong at the time. 

I just recall the articles when he left, but I won't argue to much as I don't know what he got paid. Either way he'd get paid good money wherever he'd gone, but if it was actually £12m a year then good on you Rafa, that's insane levels of money. 6th best paid manager in the world at the time if so. The latter is why I feel it can't be right, the guy who replaced Rafa is a literal nobody. You'd imagine they'd at least get a big league reject in to replace him if they can afford £12m a year on their manager.

Edited by Kaizero

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I just recall the articles when he left, but I won't say I know what he got paid :lol: Either way he'd get paid good money wherever he'd gone. 

Tbf British press are fucking lazy, 1 says something and thry all repeat it like fact without any journalism involved. Apart from the Daily Star who go full muppet mode and go with 5 TIMES HIS £6m a YEAR SALARY. Anyway, so if you've read something different on the continent I'd probably stick with that. :lol: