The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Hence the project part of it. He'd be part of defining Chinese football in history if things went to plan.

4 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Hence the project part of it. He'd be part of defining Chinese football in history if things went to plan.

Was never going to happen though...

His Chinese stop was never about a project and always just building the bank balance.

Dozens of other clubs could have offered him a 'project' , but not as many giving a 12m salary

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Tbf British press are fucking lazy, 1 says something and thry all repeat it like fact without any journalism involved. Apart from the Daily Star who go full muppet mode and go with 5 TIMES HIS £6m a YEAR SALARY. Anyway, so if you've read something different on the continent I'd probably stick with that. :lol:

I just can't get over the fact he'd have been the 6th best paid manager in the world at the time if it was £12m, at a club called Dalian Pro, then replaced by a guy whose career highlight was two seasons as manager of Cadiz. It makes no sense :lol: 

Edited by Kaizero

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Good luck to Rafa, a legend in my eyes forever. Wish him success there. I hope he proves any doubters (everton fans) wrong. 

Im conflicted. On one hand I hope he proves them wrong and on the other hand I’d hate it as the Everton fans don’t deserve success under him 

Edited by gdm

8 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Was never going to happen though...

His Chinese stop was never about a project and always just building the bank balance.

Dozens of other clubs could have offered him a 'project' , but not as many giving a 12m salary

How do you know it wasn't about a project?

Wish Rafa all the best, although I wished he wouldnt manage another PL team. 

Would be canny if he has a slow start, then we beat him while our entire supports sings the Rafa song all game. Would piss off Bruce and the Everton fans

5 minutes ago, thomas said:

I finally hit the life milestone where I get angry over a misplaced apostrophe.

I thought it was a play on Scouse people being unable to speak like a normal person so I didn't get annoyed :lol: Now you pointed out it's likely actually just a misplaced apostrophe the anger has consumed me as well.

37 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

You’ve not answered what the project was in China?

Nobody said money wasn't a factor in him moving to China, he was also very upfront about wanting to take a job to keep his team in work.  They won't all be as highly paid as Rafa, though probably not on the bones of their arse.

Ref the project go and look at the training complex they ploughed money into under his direction, something he was always trying to get at nufc.  It'll have been the same for scouting etc. as well no doubt, he was being allowed to build a club in his image when it started.  He went to a club that looked like it had ambition to overhaul the current status quo in Chinese football and was gonna get the backing to do it.  Sadly things didn't work out, that doesn't mean he wasn't taking on a project.

8 minutes ago, gdm said:

Im conflicted. On one hand I hope he proves them wrong and on the other hand I’d hate it as the Everton fans don’t deserve success under him 

I'm not conflicted at all. I hope he fails spectacularly. Nothing against him but I cannot stand Everton fans and it will be galling to see them succeed, bearing in mind how much contempt they have for us.

Benitez is simply another part of NUFC history now and should be fondly remembered but absolutely not revered. An excellent manager for us but nowhere near being a legend. Legendary status is reserved for a very select few. Kevin Keegan, Joe Harvey, Jackie Milburn are NUFC legends. Rafa Benitez isn't.

Some odd opinions on this in here like. "Can't fathom his thinking" and my personal favorite "It's like Keegan to the Mackems!!". Get a grip man. He's back in the league he enjoys, he's back in a city where his family home is located, bags of cash to spend and despite the negativity coming his way, he's never given a flying fuck what anyone thinks about his choices. I like and respect the man immensely, it's grim he's gone to a club where he's not going to find the level of respect and appreciation we gave him but that's it, time to move on, we have our own problems to worry about. Namely an indestructible, gargantuan cunt of an owner and a thick patsy wanker manager we can't get rid of.

38 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I'm not conflicted at all. I hope he fails spectacularly. Nothing against him but I cannot stand Everton fans and it will be galling to see them succeed, bearing in mind how much contempt they have for us.

Benitez is simply another part of NUFC history now and should be fondly remembered but absolutely not revered. An excellent manager for us but nowhere near being a legend. Legendary status is reserved for a very select few. Kevin Keegan, Joe Harvey, Jackie Milburn are NUFC legends. Rafa Benitez isn't.

I think that's fair enough, and pretty much where I stand on it as well. I have a lot of respect for him, and would have liked to see what he achieved if he got given a fair shot here. But he's Everton's manager now, and it's not a club I particularly like so I hope they fail. Their fans deserve it even if he doesn't. 

15 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Is there a scenario where he succeeds and they fail?  I want that :lol:

Double over Liverpool, and a few snide comments about them should see him seen as a success by them

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Okay he's not alongside those names, but Rafa's place at NUFC is much bigger than what happened on the pitch. He brought some dignity to a soulless club, and fought for it like nobody else with any power has since Keegan.