The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

17 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Players loved him, wasn't Jimenez fucked? They sent Jota to Liverpool, who was almost more essential to their attack than Jimenez. 

Said at the time they sold their best player when he left. For relative peanuts as well.

Personally, I’ll give it a year at most before him and Levy start falling out. It’s well known that Levy sticks his nose in way too often and Conte just won’t stand for it.

Levy apparently has a nice big office at the training grounds. Owners who are businessmen but not football men should be nowhere near the training ground or the dressing rooms.

6 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Said at the time they sold their best player when he left. For relative peanuts as well.

Yup, he was the link in midfield and a constant threat for goals. Drew players to him that would create space for Traore as well. They've not been anywhere near the exciting team they were with Jota.

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

£45mil is peanuts?

To buy him now, I'd say he's closer to a £70-80mill player.

6 minutes ago, triggs said:

Jimenez was far more important to Wolves than Jota. Madness to suggest otherwise

Jota wasn't even a guaranteed starter sometimes. Came off the bench 7 times

Pre head injury Jimenez was fantastic, no dispute, but Jota was their key playmaker and that's evidenced by Liverpool coming in for him. Playing 30+ games every season for Wolves is as close to guaranteed starter as you're going to get. 

Jiminez was key to the way Wolves play under Nuno. Much like Kane, he'd drop in and feed runners such as Jota and Traore. He was so integral, they had no go to plan B following his head injury.

Jota is a great player, but Jiminez was key to everything Wolves did well.

13 minutes ago, triggs said:

Jimenez was far more important to Wolves than Jota. Madness to suggest otherwise

Jota wasn't even a guaranteed starter sometimes. Came off the bench 7 times

Jimenez goals were huge, it's was the return for all the good work the team did. Doesn't change for me that Jota was their best player. It's why he's at one of the best clubs in the world and Jimenez is at one of the best clubs in the West Midlands. 

Jota is massively underrated even now at Liverpool, would love him to come here and be the main man. Think as time catches up with mane & salah thats his destiny at Liverpool and he has it in him to fill the void one of them with leave. 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Jiminez was key to the way Wolves play under Nuno. Much like Kane, he'd drop in and feed runners such as Jota and Traore. He was so integral, they had no go to plan B following his head injury.

Jota is a great player, but Jiminez was key to everything Wolves did well.

1:20 against Bournemouth, that is what I remember, but maybe I'm being bias because I rate Jota so highly. :) 

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

1:20 against Bournemouth, that is what I remember, but maybe I'm being bias because I rate Jota so highly. :) 

They were, or in Jota's case are, fantastic talents who had a great understanding of each others game.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They were, or in Jota's case are, fantastic talents who had a great understanding of each others game.

That Wolves team was great to watch as a neutral and I remember being envious from an NUFC standpoint. If we can play like that in a couple years, we'll all be quite happy. :thup: 

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

Pre head injury Jimenez was fantastic, no dispute, but Jota was their key playmaker and that's evidenced by Liverpool coming in for him. Playing 30+ games every season for Wolves is as close to guaranteed starter as you're going to get. 

He didn't start 30 games in either of his PL seasons at Wolves

1 hour ago, kisearch said:

I was surprised when Liverpool went for Jota and not Jiminez tbh, he seemed perfect as a bit of a Firmino understudy. Jota seems to be doing really well though.

Jiminez was 29 years old when we bought Jota. Jota was 23 around the time we bought him. Both would have cost approximately the same. Makes sense we went for the younger player.

Even if both players were the same age I think most fans would have preferred Jota out of the two. Jiminez is quality, but I think Jota has a higher ceiling. It is not just the goals and assists. He  has much better technique and a lot of intangibles . 

Of course, all of this is with the benefit of hindsight. 

Villa after Fonseca... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10154213/Aston-Villa-make-informal-contact-Paulo-Fonseca-pressure-mounting-Dean-Smith.html

Aston Villa have sounded out Paulo Fonseca as they consider potential replacements for under-pressure boss Dean Smith.

Sportsmail understands that informal contact has been made with the representatives of the Portuguese coach and sources believe Smith is on borrowed time after four straight losses. 

The word out of Villa Park last week was that the hierarchy, led by chief executive Christian Purslow, remain supportive of the manager. But the contact with out-of-work Fonseca indicates that candidates are being explored in the event of Smith going. 

The 48-year-old was in talks with Spurs in the summer and spoke to Newcastle about their vacancy. But the Magpies’ new owners are looking instead at Villarreal’s Unai Emery and Belgium boss Roberto Martinez. 

They want to appoint a new boss before the trip to Brighton on Saturday.