The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

9 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

OGS has based his entire managerial style on Sir Alex Ferguson. Obviously won't have been able to replicate that, but with the "leaks" regarding how he ran training and such with words on a whiteboard being the extent of it, does this mean that Sir Alex was a PFM? (in management style that is, not measured by success)

Also thinking how our very own Steve Bruce ran his training. There's two Sir Alex pupils apparently emulating Sir Alex by writing "go win" on a board.

What’s your point?

Just now, Kaizero said:

There's no point, it's a question.

You wonder if Sir Alex could be described as a PFM? I’d say he wasn’t, as he was great at changing with the times. Unlike, for example, Steve Bruce.

As a relatively young manger, I think it's fair enough to try and model your footballing philosophy or managerial style on Sir Alex Ferguson, he's one of the best in history after all, but you do still need to have the ability to pull it off or at least get close. It's understandable though and at least he's picked a great manager to base himself on, it's just not worked out like that, just like it wouldn't have for quite a lot of managers. 

He could have sought inspiration from another Manchester United legend, Steve Bruce of course, but I guess that would be like trying to be the Michael Schumacher of skiing. 

5 minutes ago, Collage said:

You wonder if Sir Alex could be described as a PFM? I’d say he wasn’t, as he was great at changing with the times. Unlike, for example, Steve Bruce.

Was more thinking the style of training, where just writing stuff on whiteboards seem to be the prevalent means :lol: Obviously very different gravity to a situation where Sir Alex Ferguson shouts at you to go out there and fucking win compared to an OGS or Bacon Bruce.

8 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Was also, significantly, a genius  :lol:

fergies true genius was the ability to bring in new coaches with new ideas as time went on, just think how different football was in 86 when he started at man utd to 2013 when he left 

7 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

fergies true genius was the ability to bring in new coaches with new ideas as time went on, just think how different football was in 86 when he started at man utd to 2013 when he left 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/sir-alex-ferguson-assistant-manager-24979838.amp

You can easily see how the team and style evolved with all the assistants over the years.

18 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

Part of it, for sure. Most significant I think is that he had everyone, players, officials, etc eating out of his hand. Genius manipulator of people. Served his apprenticeship as a union steward and was the same in that environment. Absolutely everyone terrified of him.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Part of it, for sure. Most significant I think is that he had everyone, players, officials, etc eating out of his hand. Genius manipulator of people. Served his apprenticeship as a union steward and was the same in that environment. Absolutely everyone terrified of him.

He's slap the shit out of you or throw a boot at you if you disobeyed him. I still think he'd do it now. No one would challenge him. 

51 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Ferguson knew how to delegate. He was big picture. 

Isn’t it pretty much common knowledge that he didn’t even attend training on a daily basis? Left it to the coaches while he was in the office moving the “big picture” items around for the club?