The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Nothing wrong with man management as the main tool to get results as long as you know how to do it. Based on player interviews I've seen throughout the years, I never get the impression that managers like SAF, Keegan, SBR & Zidane relied that much on systems and tactics, but they knew/know how to get the best out of their players - where to play them, who to play together, how to motivate them to put in the work in training and matches. There is much more depth to it than I and many others are aware of I'm sure, and that is what made/make them great managers.

Scribbling down some random Ikea inspirational poster quotes on a whiteboard and reading them out loud, giving your players extra days off training, starting training late, letting players off the hook if they are late etc etc probably makes players like the likes of OGS & Bruce but that's about it.

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Nothing wrong with man management as the main tool to get results as long as you know how to do it. Based on player interviews I've seen throughout the years, I never get the impression that managers like SAF, Keegan, SBR & Zidane relied that much on systems and tactics, but they knew/know how to get the best out of their players - where to play them, who to play together, how to motivate them to put in the work in training and matches. There is much more depth to it than I and many others are aware of I'm sure, and that is what made/make them great managers.

Scribbling down some random Ikea inspirational poster quotes on a whiteboard and reading them out loud, giving your players extra days off training, starting training late, letting players off the hook if they are late etc etc probably makes players like the likes of OGS & Bruce but that's about it.

Think Zidane is the real deal as a manager to be honest, personally think he'd be best appointment Man U could make - superior to Poch, Ten Haag in my opinion. However cliche and cringeworthy Neville bleating on about 'culture', end of the day he is right. There is a certain fabric that clubs like Madrid, Barcelona, Man U have that can't be removed, and will always dictate how a manager fares. Zidane seems like he'd be a good fit for me. 

Exactly what's highlighted for me - not everyone has to be a Pep; and by his own admission he's nothing without top players. 

Video on YT of Zidane's talk at half time in their CL final against Juventus. Can tell he has an authority that the players respect - just seems to have it. Outlines some simple instructions to them, but it's obvious he's set up the team correctly, can motivate them, tactically sound enough - coupled with having great players he's successful. Polar opposite to what you saw Mourinho in the Spurs doc where that was never a right fit. 

Can't really describe more than saying certain manager-club dynamics just seem right - Klopp at Liverpool, even from start, Pep at City, Mourinho and Chelsea, Zidane Real Madrid, Robson with us; same token some seem totally wrong fit - Nuno Spurs, Mourinho Spurs, Moyes/Van Gaal/Mourinho at Man U, Benitez at Everton

All the chat about Solskjaer steadying the ship or however you want to put it... domestically, are Man Utd not in a similar/even more of a mess than they were when Mourinho left? They actually had more points on the board at this point in the year Mourinho ended up leaving and, in both cases, they're a country mile off the title. The team's certainly an absolute shit-tip if the Watford game is anything to go by. 

Yeah, I've not brought the 'steadying the ship' line, or the fact he's changed the 'culture' of the club as something vaguely important. Any perceived achievements, progress or steadying that OGS has made is only is valid when put against how much Neville and the Man U media totally hated Mourinho. 

Their in no better place than when Mourinho left really - aye, miles away from title this season, no real hope of getting to later stages of CL. Difference is that OGS has been given everything transfer wise he could ever want, yet Man U still giving us crap that they couldn't do all the business in one window and couldn't get a CM. 

In my opinion Mourinho would be getting far more out of this squad - Varane, Fernandes, Sancho, Ronaldo, even McTominay looked better under Jose in his first season in first team! 

Edited by Abra Dubravka

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

All the chat about Solskjaer steadying the ship or however you want to put it... domestically, are Man Utd not in a similar/even more of a mess than they were when Mourinho left? They actually had more points on the board at this point in the year Mourinho ended up leaving and, in both cases, they're a country mile off the title. The team's certainly an absolute shit-tip if the Watford game is anything to go by. 

Fucking hell, if you take his “steadying the ship” trophy away, he’s only got the “finished 2nd once” trophy left.

Can’t believe the reaction to him being sacked. It’s like he’s just had to resign after being diagnosed with a terminal illness or something.

Genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if Man Utd players wore some dreadful “thanks for the memories Ole” training tops in the next game. :lol: 

46 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

MotD2 ended with a 'memories of Ole's reign' montage! :lol:

Hour long christmas special with interviews with every person ever associated with football, series of commemorative stamps, statue outside Old Trafford and a netflix dramatized series starring a CGI Andy Serkis playing everyone on the way. Heard a national holiday is a possibility but only if every country bends the knee.

Watching the highlights of their game,standing out a mile certain players not giving all to get him sacked...Overpaid Prima Donna's the lot,how Leicester got £80 million for McGuire is beyond me.

They were doing OK till big head Ronaldo came on board,thinks he's too good to take orders off Ole.

Think he's been stabbed in back personally.

14 minutes ago, Dandy Don said:

Watching the highlights of their game,standing out a mile certain players not giving all to get him sacked...Overpaid Prima Donna's the lot,how Leicester got £80 million for McGuire is beyond me.

They were doing OK till big head Ronaldo came on board,thinks he's too good to take orders off Ole.

No, he’s a shit manager who has no business managing a club of such ambition or stature. 

1 hour ago, Dandy Don said:

I haven't heard a commentator suggest Ronaldo is a big part of why Man U have fallen off a cliff this season - and yet it seems an obvious question. Their whole project suddenly changed shape on the eve of the season, and any attacking philosophy was chucked to accommodate the Returned One and his complete unwillingness to press properly.