NUFC Fans Forum - No interest in winning cups

Crumpy Gunt

It's a very bad attitude, especially for a club like ours who have no chance of doing anything in the league.

I blame the club for the attitude, but also the football authorities for allowing PL survival to become so critically important. We probably aren't the only club that places their priorities 95% on the league, but we're the only one thick enough to say so.

Guest icemanblue

Lot of twanging of knees going on.

All that appears to have been said is that the priority is the league. As it has always been, as it always will be, for every club.

We will go out tonight looking to beat Leeds and progress.

Aye. I can't see Pardew being under direct instruction to go out of the cups at the earliest opportunity, which is how some seem to be taking this news. Our main focus is the league, because if we fall out of that, rather than a cup, the implications are slightly worse.

All that appears to have been said is that the priority is the league. As it has always been, as it always will be, for every club.

It's a disgusting attitude. Disgusting lack of ambition.

Maybe if we can stumble to a QF Pardew will realise he has a chance to make history and focus on a cup.

IMO the very definition of a midtable side should be looking to cup runs. 5-6 points can take you from 9th to 14th in the league, such small margins. I understand the money from 9th-14th is significant but I wouldn't want my job depending on such a thing. I'd take lower midtable finishes and real cup attempts over finishing 8th and rolling over to Brighton again.

Guest neesy111

As we've seen though, a higher league position means sweet FA in terms of improving the squad.  It's just so someone's back pocket is a little heavier.

He's not under direct instruction. But if your boss doesn't care about something and rather focus on an incremental increase elsewhere, you will do the same.

If my boss doesn't care about something, I don't care about it.

Yes but if it's something you still want to achieve you will still try and achieve it regardless if you don't get any praise off your boss for it, just means you know it won't affect your overall job security if you fail to achieve your overall target, in this case, winning the cup.

Guest Roger Kint

Appalling attitude.

I like the hypocrisy of then saying a top-ten finish is a priority, while we continue to employ Pardew as manager with minimal coaching staff and refusing to re-invest during the summer while everyone around us does.  Utterly absurd way of seeing things.

Aye the threadbare approach is even more baffling when they state that. Its hardly going to cost the world to provide a decent backroom staff(assuming we werent priced out of that market too :rolleyes:)

Guest Roger Kint

Thread title is a bit misleading.

As if CG would want to highlight the positive parts of the meeting man :lol:

What would you think was positive?

If there is a positive its the Clubs honesty in that we are an also ran.

You seriously read that whole thing and couldnt find one even slightly positive thing? :lol:

Aye.

"Sadly because of the way that Sky money controls football, cup competitions are not the priority of Premier League clubs" would be a lot more accurate.

"Newcastle director gives honest answer to question" could be another.

As a club, we are about Europe and *trying* to win cup competitions.

Prior to Ashley we often got into Europe and were in a few Finals, semi-finals, QF's the prior 8 years. We looked to really give it a go in Europe and the FA Cup.

Mike Ashley doesn't get or understand the clubs ambitions. Or he simply doesn't want to meet it. I really wish we had a Geordie in charge or someone that cares. Say what you like about that fat fool Freddy Shephard - but he had ambition for us.

Aiming for top 10 is a bit shit to be honest, I'd like a bit more ambition that than. We were 5th 2 years ago, we should have finished at least 8th last year with the team we had, and then been looking to improve. We have stagnated so much and other teams have caught up.

Aye.

"Sadly because of the way that Sky money controls football, cup competitions are not the priority of Premier League clubs" would be a lot more accurate.

'Premier League is priority'

Aye.

'Premier League is priority'

FFS man, any PL club would say the same.

A constant whinge on here is about lack of honesty from the club.

They get an honest answer - and a pretty obvious one - cue more whingeing.

It's a disgusting attitude. Disgusting lack of ambition.

Maybe if we can stumble to a QF Pardew will realise he has a chance to make history and focus on a cup.

IMO the very definition of a midtable side should be looking to cup runs. 5-6 points can take you from 9th to 14th in the league, such small margins. I understand the money from 9th-14th is significant but I wouldn't want my job depending on such a thing. I'd take lower midtable finishes and real cup attempts over finishing 8th and rolling over to Brighton again.

I just don't think it follows that we wont put effort into the cups. Considering one of the few things Pardew is known for is his failed (unfairly possibly) cup finals, I'm pretty sure he will as well.

Despite playing squad players in the earlier rounds, I think we took Europe pretty seriously, no?

Looking at the other parts of the report, why isn't Ashley taking that £18m back now as planned? Surely a good time for it seen as we spent fuck all this summer.

Oh and good news on the disabled away travel. :thup:

Oh, and wtf  are we doing still deciding the third kit? :lol: Will it go to a vote for members?