NUFC Fans Forum - No interest in winning cups

Crumpy Gunt

The whole point of starting a football club is to enter it into a competition and to actively try to go out and win games in order to win the whole thing. We seem to just go out and try not to lose and try not to get relegated. There is no inspiration or passion in that. I want the 90s back! (minus Graeme Fenton)

Right read that.  everyone at the club is an ashley lickspittle.

Wonga turning up..

No matter what they say with their corporate bullshit they wont be accepted.

The club is an empty shell.

SD taking up advertising space as they cant get anyone else to fill it.  Bullshit!

So the only things we will have a chance of winning, we use the squad, i dont see a problem with it. Why say it's not a priority though, that leaves it open to criticism. Why not say the league is the main foucs but we'll try to win a cup along the way.

PR from this club is so shit it's untrue, they cant even get that right.

Dead right. You put it a lot better than they did.

Guess that's what happens when you let bean counters out. They should be kept in small offices at the end of the corridor and not let out in public.

We haven't got a hope in hell of winning a cup with Pardew and Kinnear in charge anyway.

:spit:

Our trophy cabinet was too full on there arrival so they got told to back off with the cups...

Ashley has probably taken what little silverware we had in it down to Ramsdens anyway.

Confirms what I thought anyway, they're not interested in glory or winning anything they're quite happy just to make up the numbers in the league. Don't want to compete in Europe, don't want to go down, little interest in winning a cup.

If these no-mark cunts aren't bothered about the cups then why the fuck should we be? Small time wankers.

Guest neesy111

So where's the money going if we won't spend it and Ashley isn't taking it back?

Must be that bloody borehole again?

Borehole must had turned into a blackhole.

Am I missing something?

Swansea made 7 changes from the league team in their first League cup game last year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19340378

How is this such a let down?

I haven't seen the exact wording.  Have the club said we'll play a team of kids from start to end?

There is no exact wording, though the link half way down this article may provide it on... er... Tuesday.

Censored, or just useless gets? Either way. :suicide:

I assume we'll be throwing in the kids in the early rounds and we'll start taking it somewhat seriously if we end up in the quarters or so.

That's what almost every club does but it's been articulated in an extremely unfortunate manner, which is just about par for the course for our management.

Hardly worth killing yourself over.

Am I missing something?

Swansea made 7 changes from the league team in their first League cup game last year...

I haven't seen the exact wording.  Have the club said we'll play a team of kids from start to end?

What about when they reached the last 16, 3 games from the final?

Did they make 9 voluntary changes?

Still too far away from a chance of winning something to bother with for us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9059568.stm

Arsenal join Aston Villa, Birmingham, Ipswich, Manchester United, West Brom, West Ham and Wigan in the draw for the quarter-finals on Saturday.

Arsenal (h), Wigan (h), Ipswich, Birmingham

We always go out in the early rounds because we never take it seriously enough, and by that I mean a combination of the general outlook around the club and that we seemingly don't play a side strong enough to "guarantee" getting through the tie.  There's a difference between shuffling your squad but still progressing through the tie your fair share of times and treating cups as an afterthought and an inconvenience to the degree that you usually go out at the first hurdle.  I was at Stevenage and Brighton the second time and our performance on each occasion was a fucking disgrace.

We always go out in the early rounds because we never take it seriously enough, and by that I mean a combination of the general outlook around the club and that we seemingly don't play a side strong enough to "guarantee" getting through the tie.  There's a difference between shuffling your squad but still progressing through the tie your fair share of times and treating cups as an afterthought and an inconvenience to the degree that you usually go out at the first hurdle.  I was at Stevenage and Brighton the second time and our performance on each occasion was a f***ing disgrace.

The main difference being squad depth. Chelsea last night changed nearly the entire team and gave a debut to forth year old man, yet walked through.

Am I missing something?

Gubbed Valencia in that cup we want nothing to do with too.

The same cup

Is this the same competition in which we easily qualified from the first round, beat Anzhi, and provided a stern challenge to Benfica despite our troubles in the league?

Our approach to the cups is identical to every other team in the league.

Forum Minutes - http://www.nufc.co.uk/page/Fans/FansForum/0,,10278~3462657,00.html

Phil Patterson - "Realistically, the cups are about the only chance of silverware, but year in year out we don't seem to target one, why not?

The board said that we utilise the cup competitions to secure match experience for the wider squad. The club is also mindful of injuries following last season's Europa League. Our primary aim and focus has to be the Premier League and we don't want to jeopardise that.

Chris Forster  - "A cup would be success for fans."

The board said the financial rewards of being a PL club are so great that we have to make sure that we do everything we can to stay in that position. Examples of three recent cup winners who are now no longer in the PL were given. The board added that the extra 14 games we played in the Europa League and the injuries sustained had contributed to a lower league finish.

Regarding the cups.

Phil Patterson - "Realistically, the cups are about the only chance of silverware, but year in year out we don't seem to target one, why not?

The board said that we utilise the cup competitions to secure match experience for the wider squad. The club is also mindful of injuries following last season's Europa League. Our primary aim and focus has to be the Premier League and we don't want to jeopardise that.

Chris Forster - "A cup would be success for fans."

The board said the financial rewards of being a PL club are so great that we have to make sure that we do everything we can to stay in that position. Examples of three recent cup winners who are now no longer in the PL were given. The board added that the extra 14 games we played in the Europa League and the injuries sustained had contributed to a lower league finish.

Very weak answers from the club there; just easily trotted out excuses that barely have anything to do with the points from the floor.

Yeah, we get that you're running scared because we nearly went down, but fuck me going for a cup doesn't automatically mean relegation. And yeah, the Europa league affected our league results maybe, but would an FA cup or league cup run really cripple us!?!?

If so, then we need to buy some more fucking players. :banghead:

We always go out in the early rounds because we never take it seriously enough, and by that I mean a combination of the general outlook around the club and that we seemingly don't play a side strong enough to "guarantee" getting through the tie.  There's a difference between shuffling your squad but still progressing through the tie your fair share of times and treating cups as an afterthought and an inconvenience to the degree that you usually go out at the first hurdle.  I was at Stevenage and Brighton the second time and our performance on each occasion was a f***ing disgrace.

The main difference being squad depth. Chelsea last night changed nearly the entire team and gave a debut to forth year old man, yet walked through.

Am I missing something?

Gubbed Valencia in that cup we want nothing to do with too.

The same cup

Is this the same competition in which we easily qualified from the first round, beat Anzhi, and provided a stern challenge to Benfica despite our troubles in the league?

Our approach to the cups is identical to every other team in the league.

Very true. The main problem is the owner's efforts to get away with having the thinnest squad possible, rather than the general approach on a matchday.