NUFC Fans Forum - No interest in winning cups

Crumpy Gunt

Regarding the cups.

Phil Patterson - "Realistically, the cups are about the only chance of silverware, but year in year out we don't seem to target one, why not?

The board said that we utilise the cup competitions to secure match experience for the wider squad. The club is also mindful of injuries following last season's Europa League. Our primary aim and focus has to be the Premier League and we don't want to jeopardise that.

Chris Forster - "A cup would be success for fans."

The board said the financial rewards of being a PL club are so great that we have to make sure that we do everything we can to stay in that position. Examples of three recent cup winners who are now no longer in the PL were given. The board added that the extra 14 games we played in the Europa League and the injuries sustained had contributed to a lower league finish.

Very weak answers from the club there; just easily trotted out excuses that barely have anything to do with the points from the floor.

Yeah, we get that you're running scared because we nearly went down, but fuck me going for a cup doesn't automatically mean relegation. And yeah, the Europa league affected our league results maybe, but would an FA cup or league cup run really cripple us!?!?

If so, then we need to buy some more fucking players. :banghead:

It's one thing being careful two thirds of the way through a season if first teamers have niggles. It's a completely different matter to play the first cup game of a season stating that we can't aim to win it incase we end up going down.

f***ing hell.

The advertising space taken up by Sports Direct would otherwise be empty space.

We are looking at ways of raising commercial income.

Think they missed an opportunity there.

This is pure bollix. The digital adverstiment boards that run along the East Stand ( i.e the most visible and one would think most valuable advertising space) display Sports Direct adds!

We always go out in the early rounds because we never take it seriously enough, and by that I mean a combination of the general outlook around the club and that we seemingly don't play a side strong enough to "guarantee" getting through the tie.  There's a difference between shuffling your squad but still progressing through the tie your fair share of times and treating cups as an afterthought and an inconvenience to the degree that you usually go out at the first hurdle.  I was at Stevenage and Brighton the second time and our performance on each occasion was a f***ing disgrace.

The main difference being squad depth. Chelsea last night changed nearly the entire team and gave a debut to forth year old man, yet walked through.

Am I missing something?

Swansea made 7 changes from the league team in their first League cup game last year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19340378

How is this such a let down?

I haven't seen the exact wording.  Have the club said we'll play a team of kids from start to end?

Gubbed Valencia in that cup we want nothing to do with too.

The same cup

Is this the same competition in which we easily qualified from the first round, beat Anzhi, and provided a stern challenge to Benfica despite our troubles in the league?

Our approach to the cups is identical to every other team in the league.

1) Why are you comparing us to Chelsea?  I'm not.

2) No it isn't, it might look the same but I'm certain that many teams around "our level" go further than the first/second stage in the cups every single year.

Again claiming we spent £30m nett in January. How's that work then?

So fucking annoying how that is continually peddled. It must count the transfer fees (which was around £16m), any signing on fees, any 'agents fees', the total cost of each player's full contract. It's just bollocks, man.

That whole statement from the fans forum is nothing we didn't already know, really - with some extra trinkets of bullshit thrown in. I'm not chastising their efforts, at all, I'm pleased that they've confronted the club - it's a good effort. But you could have left each of those bullet points blank and I could have filled them out myself, purely from watching the club since Ashley took over. It's brutally honest that there's zero ambition there. The top 10 stuff is bollocks anyway - I imagine it's more of a "that would be nice" train of thought from the club. So long as we're 17th or above, it's all gravy.

Also it's made pretty clear that after the £18m is paid back to Ashley we're all square because the £111m he paid to clear debts after buying the club he doesn't want back unless he sells. So people can shut the fuck up about how lucky we are regarding that. :thup:

Again claiming we spent £30m nett in January. How's that work then?

So fucking annoying how that is continually peddled. It must count the transfer fees (which was around £16m), any signing on fees, any 'agents fees', the total cost of each player's full contract. It's just bollocks, man.

'Bringing the spending forward' is a continually-peddled bullshit statement, too. All of them bar Debuchy would have been available for free this summer, wouldn't they? Or, at the very least, they would have been even cheaper to buy. The point is, there was never any intention to 'spend'.

What other club would finish 5th then target 8th for the following year? How utterly embarrassing. Horrible b******s.

I think 8th was a reasonable target given we'd never have finished 5th had Chelsea not been so shite, and we'd not finished top 6 for 8 years or however long it was. The fact we got nowhere near that is what's embarrassing.

Liam Hall - Travel to away matches: "Cardiff bus is an eight hour journey. Would you be able to put trains on?"

The board explained that chartering a train (or carriage) is a very expensive option and that the club doesn't have a commercial deal with a train company.

Oh no, very expensive! And after spending all that TV money. Wait a minute...

What other club would finish 5th then target 8th for the following year? How utterly embarrassing. Horrible b******s.

I think 8th was a reasonable target given we'd never have finished 5th had Chelsea not been so shite, and we'd not finished top 6 for 8 years or however long it was. The fact we got nowhere near that is what's embarrassing.

Bollocks man, you always have to aim to improve. 8th should always be considered a bit of a failure for NUFC anyway imo.

If that's your definition of "optimistic" you can bloody keep it.

I think 8th was a reasonable target given we'd never have finished 5th had Chelsea not been so s****, and we'd not finished top 6 for 8 years or however long it was. The fact we got nowhere near that is what's embarrassing.

Bollocks man, you always have to aim to improve. 8th should always be considered a bit of a failure for NUFC anyway imo.

f*** off man. :lol:

If you expected us to finish above one of Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea again I'd call that delusional rather than not being optimistic.

Competing with Liverpool & Everton between 6th-8th should have been the minimum we could hope for.

I think 8th was a reasonable target given we'd never have finished 5th had Chelsea not been so s****, and we'd not finished top 6 for 8 years or however long it was. The fact we got nowhere near that is what's embarrassing.

f*** off man. :lol:

If you expected us to finish above one of Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea again I'd call that delusional rather than not being optimistic.

Competing with Liverpool & Everton between 6th-8th should have been the minimum we could hope for.

What was it about the changes Arsenal and Spurs made last summer that made it impossible to compete with them again like? ???

feckin fuming after reading the club statements and overall approach to running our club , i hate to say this but if relegation happens its a big up yours to the fat wanker and all he represents ,Boycott every damn thing and the fans who pay for season tickets should have a long good think about the future  :tickedoff:

What sort of a target is it to aim for a top 10 position? Obviously we can't compete with the Manchester clubs or those in the CL, but that's only around 5 clubs. Of the rest, we are in a position to be competing for the no 6 position in the league and European qualification which seems to annoy our manager so much. What the fuck is the point of aiming for the top 10?

The target is to provide the oppostion to the big clubs for Sky and get the money from that and survive the season to do it again next year.  Basically we've become the new Coventry City for the 2010s.

Fuck's sake, there's absolutely no way of justifying a decrease as your target. We finished 5th, the target should have been 4th. If we finished 8th, so be it, but we'd have at least tried to improve.

But that's just another world to these people.

The only time we'll spend with conviction is: in the likelihood we'll go down if not. The only other scenario is if there's a likelihood it will get us CL. We took a punt on that in buying Cisse, but seeing as that didn't work out I can't see it happening again.

Guest neesy111

The board noted that the kits this season were the fastest selling shirts for six years.

:rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if that wasn't bollocks, something they could easily lie and probably have to with Wonga there with them.