What do you believe in that you really shouldn't?

Chrissy Bee

How many of these pseudosciences do you truely believe in  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many of these pseudosciences do you truely believe in

• Astrology
    • Creationism
    • God
    • Homoeopathy (including Bach flower remedies, etc.)
    • Magnet Therapy
    • Dowsing (Oil, Water, etc.)
    • Fortune Telling, Palm-reading, Tea-leaves, etc.
    • Ghosts
    • Telepathy
    • Levitation
    • Flat Earth
    • Young Earth (ie, ~6000 years old)
    • Prayer
    • Chiropractics
    • Reflexology
    • Psychic Surgery
    • UFOs (in our sky, rather than billions of miles away)
    • Reincarnation
    • Yoga (the Chi side of it, not the stretching)
    • Acupuncture (the Chi side of it, not the needles and their endorphins/whatever)
    • Chinese medicine (the Chi side of it, not the dangerous active chemicals)
    • Talking to the dead
    • Psychics
    • End of the world prophesy
    • Feng Shui
    • Ouija Boards
    • Near-Death experiences
    • Heaven/Hell
    • Hypnosis
    • Cryptozoology
    • Lucky Numbers
    • Zombies
    • Other, I thought 32 was enough
    • NONE

I'm kinda interested to hear peoples opinions on various fields I would class as pseudoscience. Many people who consider themselves rational and intelligent have strange unexplainable beliefs, likely I've forgotten something I irrationally believe in. I'll add suggestions if there's any missing

Note that many of these options (UFOs, Chinese Medicine, maybe acupuncture) can be believed in by a perfectly rational person, but only choose them if you believe the associated mumbo-jumbo.

None, I just generally think it's stupid...

For an example, overhearing some flame retardant woman on a bus, explaining why some people don't have supernatural happenings of some sort...she exclaimed, in paraphrased format...

"It only works if you believe in it."

Now to me that says, it isn't true. Regardless of belief, if it was apparent it would work regardless...fucking common folk...proles...

Guest Invicta_Toon

loving the way you lump God/Heaven in there with all those crackpot theories

I'm not religous before anyone starts

I do believe that had I started this poll the replies would have been very different

I do believe that had I started this poll the replies would have been very different

They're all faith-based (the irrational belief of something without proof), and I would class them all as pseudosciences.

Additionally, I'd class God, Prayer, Heaven and Hell far below some other options in the believability rankings. At least Chinese medicine can have demonstratable (in a clinical environment) effects despite the hocus.

I'm kinda interested to hear peoples opinions on various fields I would class as pseudoscience. Many people who consider themselves rational and intelligent have strange unexplainable beliefs, likely I've forgotten something I irrationally believe in. I'll add suggestions if there's any missing

Note that many of these options (UFOs, Chinese Medicine, maybe acupuncture) can be believed in by a perfectly rational person, but only choose them if you believe the associated mumbo-jumbo.

Does that mean you believe in some or all of these?? Which ones?

They're all faith-based (the irrational belief of something without proof), and I would class them all as pseudosciences.

Correct, the fact that it has some credence due to the number of believers doesn't mean it should be discluded.

For an example, overhearing some flame retardant woman on a bus, explaining why some people don't have supernatural happenings of some sort...she exclaimed, in paraphrased format...

Now to me that says, it isn't true. Regardless of belief, if it was apparent it would work regardless...fucking common folk...proles...

Hmmm

Whilst not a strong believer in results from much of the above, belief can be very important in some circumstances.  If a squad of players believe they can win and are coached into that belief then I'd say it has a positive effect.  A squad that doesn't believe they can win generally won't.

They're not all crackpot theories.. Take Homoeopathy for instance.. It's all made using natural herbs etc... Why shouldn't it work? Thinks of what other herbs and plants can do to you.. There's no reasons why others shouldn't be able to have calming effects and the like.

They're not all crackpot theories.. Take Homoeopathy for instance.. It's all made using natural herbs etc... Why shouldn't it work? Thinks of what other herbs and plants can do to you.. There's no reasons why others shouldn't be able to have calming effects and the like.

Because you don't understand Homoeopathy, read up on it. It's the most ridiculous thing up there. It's also ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with herbs, traditionally it was about compounds and chemicals such as arsenic, mercury and cyanogens.

You described Herbalism, a valid science which I intentionally omitted.

Hmmm

Whilst not a strong believer in results from much of the above, belief can be very important in some circumstances. If a squad of players believe they can win and are coached into that belief then I'd say it has a positive effect. A squad that doesn't believe they can win generally won't.

I don't mean it like that though...if a ball is in front of you and you believe it isn't there, it won't matter, because it is taking up space. Not subjective just to you however, but that's what I mean.

As a better example, if someone punches you in the face, and you don't believe it occured, it truly wouldn't matter as you'd have the bruise to prove it. But if it didn't happen and you believed it did there isn't any way of proof.

This has actually made my brain hurt trying to explain this, without dealing with objective relativity...cheers happyface :S

Because you don't understand Homoeopathy, read up on it. It's the most ridiculous thing up there.

I know people that have used Bach flower remedies and have had success with it. And the most ridiculous? :lol:

Hmmm

Whilst not a strong believer in results from much of the above, belief can be very important in some circumstances. If a squad of players believe they can win and are coached into that belief then I'd say it has a positive effect. A squad that doesn't believe they can win generally won't.

I don't mean it like that though...if a ball is in front of you and you believe it isn't there, it won't matter, because it is taking up space. Not subjective just to you however, but that's what I mean.

As a better example, if someone punches you in the face, and you don't believe it occured, it truly wouldn't matter as you'd have the bruise to prove it. But if it didn't happen and you believed it did there isn't any way of proof.

This has actually made my brain hurt trying to explain this, without dealing with objective relativity...cheers happyface :S

:lol:

Belief is just as important in boxing as it is in football tbh.

Because you don't understand Homoeopathy, read up on it. It's the most ridiculous thing up there.

I know people that have used Bach flower remedies and have had success with it.

For their cough/cold/other self-limiting illness?

It's quite easy to associating getting better with the £6 pack of sugar pills you bought, but that doesn't meant the pills cured you.

Additionally, I'd class God, Prayer, Heaven and Hell far below some other options in the believability rankings. At least Chinese medicine can have demonstratable (in a clinical environment) effects despite the hocus.

Its an approach to Science that Karl Popper will rip your head apart with. Verifiability is the cornerstone of scientific research and thinking. Problems that are solved for the first time though obey different rules. They have only been observed or understood once. Relying on the experience of something to prove it is the stuff of basic science. The good stuff has unbelievably wide parameters.