Laptop Issue - Help!

Crumpy Gunt

It starts up ok. I input the password, click ok then get the following message ....

"The User Profile Service service failed the login

User Profile cannot be loaded"

It then reverts back to the log-in screen.

I know the log-in is correct as when I input a wrong one it detects it is wrong.

• 8 months later...

It's fucked.

Takes an age to boot up and when it does, everything takes a lifetime to open.

If I can get chrome to open up it freezes and then crashes.

I've managed to run a full virus scan but everything is OK apparently.

It's like it's trying to do 100 jobs at the one time and can't handle it.

Any ideas?

I am IT illiterate btw so put it in layman's terms if you can

Check what opens on start up - stop things opening you don't need, uninstall programs you don't use, get ccleaner to try and fix up the registry - or if you're more knowledgeable than me use Regedit.exe. . If that doesn't help do what Neesy said. The uninstalling programs and disabling start up items is easy to do and requires no IT knowledge (apart from "search 'msconfig'").

Is disk defragging still important? It sounds so 2003.

Hard drive is fucked (according to Windows) Managed to get all the photos of the kids and important documents off it onto an external hard drive before it crashed again.

I presume hard drives can be replaced? Or is it even worth it? Laptop is probably 4 years old :dontknow:

Guest neesy111

Hard drive is fucked (according to Windows) Managed to get all the photos of the kids and important documents off it onto an external hard drive before it crashed again.

I presume hard drives can be replaced? Or is it even worth it? Laptop is probably 4 years old :dontknow:

No, replacing hard drive is easy in laptop.  Replacing windows is a different story.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an issue with a Acer Aspire 5552. The screen was flickering horizontal lines and was unreadable. I took the keyboard off so I could check the connections on the board underneath hadnt come loose. I think everything is correctly seated but when I powered it up, the battery light flashed red.  Thought the battery was dying so I plugged it in. The light stayed on for a while then died. Now it is completely dead, no lights or power at all.

What would have caused it to get worse?

I had taken the hdd, ram base cover off at the very start and forgot to put it back on before doing all of this, not sure if that makes a difference or caused the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The laptops not even mine  :lol: