The googly or the doosra?

Parky

What would you least like to face?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What would you least like to face?

• Googly
    • Doosra
    • The Gatting full toss.
    • Warne's flipper pre-shoulder op

Which is the most dangerous?

Chandrashekar probably bowled the best googly and Mulli the is the best proponent of the doosra iirc.

To make it fair lets say a right hander after lunch the last day at Eden Gardens. blueeek.gif bluebiggrin.gif

I don't think many have claimed to have a clue.  I certainly don't.  Used to play at school, but never had much interest in it cause we were always shite.  And regardless of how good we've become, it's still intensely boring.

Just enjoying it whilst it's on like.

In honesty, conditions aside, I would say the googly. When executed properly, it devastates batsmen.

Shame most players haven't the skill or accuracy to produce a perfect one.

Simple equation as a child for me.

Summer = Cricket

Winter = Football

Since I was old enough to bat or bowl. Yes, I am a fast bowler also. And yes, I show favouritism towards fast bowling.

[ponder]Might try and rejoin a team again, been out of action for a year.[/ponder]

Tical,

Aye I'd go the googly, Chandrashekar had the advantage of having polio as a child so he could move his wrist further than most. Does Warne bowl many?

Nar he's never been an exponent of the googly has Warney, maybe on a very rare occasion, either the flipper or the top spinner for Shane.

The flipper for me has to be the hardest ball to bowl, googly is a pile of piss compared to the flipper.

Which is the most dangerous?

Chandrashekar probably bowled the best googly and Mulli the is the best proponent of the doosra iirc.

To make it fair lets say a right hander after lunch the last day at Eden Gardens. blueeek.gif bluebiggrin.gif

I presume you mean Murali rather than Mulli (who's he, Mulli Kintyre?)

I think a doosra by Murali.  He's a devilish bowler, his action is impossible to read, he still spins the ball like buggery and he can play the mind games too.  Although I think right handers struggle against leg spinners more than off spinners, it's the doosra for me at the moment if it's Chandrashekar with the googly.

I can't recall whether in his pomp, Shane Warne would have bowled a version of the googly.  I recall reading somewhere that shoulder surgery finished the variety in his bowling, so these days he just bowls off cutters or top spinners, which is still more than enough for most batsmen.  If he did, I wouldn't know how to choose between a Murali doosra or Warney googly, both absolute nightmares I imagine.

Guest smoggeordie

It's like saying which is more impressive? A perfectly timed cover drive along the floor or a smash over the bowlers heed. (cover drive for me BTW but you get the drift)

Both are brilliant and equally as devastating if bowled well.

I'm coming around to cricket about as slowly as I'm coming round to whisky.

It's going to be a good few years before I fully aquire the taste for either.

I love whisky.  I couldn't recommend it though, the worst hangovers I've ever had have all involved whisky late in the evening. 

It's like saying which is more impressive? A perfectly timed cover drive along the floor or a smash over the bowlers heed. (cover drive for me BTW but you get the drift)

Both are brilliant and equally as devastating if bowled well.

Not really - there is a bigger range of turn as well as speed after bouncing with the googly.

I've recently discovered it goes very well with the poker night. The cards just seem to start coming to me. bluewink.gif

A form of Russians for poker night, do it right, have a white Russian :D

I've recently discovered it goes very well with the poker night. The cards just seem to start coming to me. bluewink.gif

A form of Russians for poker night, do it right, have a white Russian :D

I'm afraid I'm a single malt snob, and therefore mixing it is a no-no.  Probably explains why I get shit faced on whisky  :(