Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 2

Hanshithispantz

• 1 month later...

Nice one.

The first episode of that Wolf Among Us was really good too. I've never read a comic in my life but both games got me pretty interested in downloading the source material, until I checked the prices :lol:

Telltale are class though, I just wish I could wait until all of the episodes are out before downloading them.

I'm surprised Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 was so popular and got such universally good reviews. It is basically a point and click adventure game. In fact it's more like an interactive movie. Press a button and then watch 2 minutes of cut scenes before your next choice. I can't imagine anyone wanting to play through it more than once. The cut scenes last for ages. I couldn't be arsed to sit through the cut scenes again just to see what happens if I choose one of the other options. Don't get me wrong, I though the game was OK but I'm surprised how popular it is in this day and age.

I'm surprised Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 was so popular and got such universally good reviews. It is basically a point and click adventure game. In fact it's more like an interactive movie. Press a button and then watch 2 minutes of cut scenes before your next choice. I can't imagine anyone wanting to play through it more than once. The cut scenes last for ages. I couldn't be arsed to sit through the cut scenes again just to see what happens if I choose one of the other options. Don't get me wrong, I though the game was OK but I'm surprised how popular it is in this day and age.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It isn't a bad thing. I think it would be better if it was more like a point and click adventure. Like I said, I think it is more like an interactive movie. "Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1" involves a lot of watching and not much doing. I've played "Season 1" and "400 Days" and I liked them but I don't think they deserved the mega positive reviews they got. Walking around is pretty clunky in them. The choices you make barely make any difference. I was playing it and I asked a friend who was also playing it what decisions he made. When he made a different decision to me it turns out it made next to no difference to the story.

I did expect my opinion to be a bit controversial due to how loved the game is.

Probably one of my games of the year despite it's clear technical pitfalls. It lacks the gameplay of Monkey Island but it made up for it with it's gripping story imo, even if the choices were largely superficial.

I do hope they've improved the gameplay aspects for series 2 though, I haven't played it yet but the button mashing scenes in the first were painful. The Wolf Among Us got it perfect (although clearly lifted from Heavy Rain).

• 1 month later...

Blasting through season one of this, having only played the first two episodes when they came out. Really enjoying it, but some of the tough decisions are making me feel like a bastard. Playing the final episode now.

• 3 months later...

Spoilered in case people haven't kept up to date with season two...

I think the lack of the central Lee/Clem relationship is a big loss in the second season. Sure, I know Clem and she's a strong character, but the paternal bond was a big part of the emotional strength of the first season. The re-introduction of Kenny was a nice touch, because I'm not feeling the same attachment to this second group of characters. Genuinely had a lump in my throat when Kenny got back up looking all Snake Plissken. :lol: