Newcastle 0 - 2 Man City (AET) - 30/10/13 - LC R4 - Post-match reaction from p40

Mike

Didn't see the game so can't comment on it - the bean counters at SJP will be delighted with the usual early exit, even though it appears Man C took pity and tried to give us the game....we couldn't even accept that gracefully.

Expect plenty more of this sort of thing until Ashley finally decides to buy Rangers....so a couple of years of purgatory lie ahead.

Man City that extra bit of class that told in the end. There's no way we could have scored their second goal.

A joke, surely? These nouveau riche nobodies?

;) Yeah, okay. Skill.

The telling thing was the way they could interpass their way through the centre of our defence. We don't have that in our weaponry.

Our dressing room must be rock bottom now like, they went out there last night and threw everything they had at Man City, and still got shit all for their efforts. We reverted back to more direct football last night but it was a tactic that was paying off as Shola was bullying them and Cisse was getting on the end of things. How we didn't score is beyond me, i know we had two strikers on the pitch who we haven't got confidence in them scoring but their keeper was excellent last night and even when he was beaten, we were offside or a defender on the line to save him.

Second half we actually got the ball down and started playing some nice football, Man City for all the money they had on the pitch, we nullified them really and made them look average at best. Yet because during our spells on top because we never scored that crucial first goal you're always liable to concede yourself and that's duly what happened and killed the game.

Overall though they must have been sick in that dressing room afterwards and Pardew's got a job on his hands to pick them back up after that. Positive thing is after the Sunderland game, at least they came out fighting and put on a performance and didn't just give Man City an easy night and roll over, and for that they deserve credit.

Not a great game, but we did much better than predicted beforehand. I don't see any reason for the players to be demoralised... if they're affected that badly by a battling display followed by a narrow defeat then we've got problems.

Whatever you might say about our team, Pardew etc, we normally seem to respond in some way following a defeat. Like everyone knows, our inconsistency is our biggest problem.

City were shite, Sunderland were shite, it's pathetic not to be able to bury opposition who are playing like that, all we do is have the better of it a little bit but with no conviction.

The ugly football tactic was giving us a slight advantage, so why take Shola off? Baffling.

Not a great game, but we did much better than predicted beforehand. I don't see any reason for the players to be demoralised... if they're affected that badly by a battling display followed by a narrow defeat then we've got problems.

Whatever you might say about our team, Pardew etc, we normally seem to respond in some way following a defeat. Like everyone knows, our inconsistency is our biggest problem.

Like we did on that epic losing run last season?

Like we did on that epic losing run last season?

Aye, that was bad, but it doesn't seem to reflect our general character.

Admittedly, I didn't feel too disheartened about the loss yesterday as I thought we did decently enough but last night basically epitomised an ongoing problem from the last year or so - our lack of quality in the final third. It's all very well that we got into some great positions in the box and all that but that counts for nothing if you don't take advantage of such positions. Although it took City 99 minutes to break through, it was inevitable that they would punish us for our inability to finish. Another thing that came out from yesterday is that we also really can't count on Cisse to get the goals for us anymore either (that is, he really can't be our "main man" anymore) as chance after chance he had yesterday, he simply wasted. The lack of quality upfront will bite us in the arse in the long run. We're basically putting all our eggs in one basket by counting on Remy to come up with the goods every single game like.