Things You Miss From SJP/Game Day

TheGuv

Since we have a wide range of old and young on here I was curious to see what little things people miss from the match.

For example, I miss the playing of Jarrow Song before every match. Whatever happened to that?I bet if you listen to it you'll all know what I'm talking about.

I was looking on a NUFC facebook group and one of the lads posted this song

Anyone remember this being played at the game? My dad was telling me that the groundstaff would stamp their feet at the same time of the clapping and the Gallowgate would also join in :lol:

Enjoying going to the match

Being able to turn around and watch replays in the East Stand boxes

Black and white seats

Advertising hoardings falling over after a player crashed in to them

The fat bastard who used to sit near me (East Stand paddock, early 90s) and spin the ball on his finger taking the piss out of opposition before giving it back and in a derogatory way

Having to get there ultra early to make sure you got in if it wasn't all ticket

Good atmosphere

The owld codger I used to sit next too

Guest Roger Kint

Everything! The walk from the metro up to the ground, climbing the stairs til you see the access tunnel and the Leazes rising out of it, the pre match build up(as stated the regular songs etc) and the roar when the games about to kick off.

Last game was 1-1 Bolton in Feb 2011. Havent spent a penny on the club/in the ground since Aug 2008 and my 3 year deal was up the end of 10/11. Wont be back again til Ashley leaves  :(

I miss the singing section greatly.

Was up there for the season we returned to the Premier League, and had some amazing memories. The 4-4 atmosphere was electric.

Even if it was a boring 0-0 or a defeat I always enjoyed my afternoon at SJP because of the fans and the noise they created. Was so much fun. Really wish they'd bring it back. The atmosphere now is pathetic, but I understand why.

The sense of anticipation and build up  to the game when KK was manager...even from the first game he was in charge against Bristol City culminating in Local Hero being played - which seemed appropriate when KK took over - as the team were coming out. You just KNEW it was going to be a great time in the club's recent history.

Oh - and the sense of anything was possible...unlike today when you think mediocrity is all there is...

Everything! The walk from the metro up to the ground, climbing the stairs til you see the access tunnel and the Leazes rising out of it, the pre match build up(as stated the regular songs etc) and the roar when the games about to kick off.

Last game was 1-1 Bolton in Feb 2011. Havent spent a penny on the club/in the ground since Aug 2008 and my 3 year deal was up the end of 10/11. Wont be back again til Ashley leaves  :(

I wish I had the willpower to do that.

Guest Roger Kint

I wish I had the willpower to do that.

Was a regular for 20+ years and even though my money means fuck all to Ashley i still refuse to give him owt. My loss some will say but sod it.

Since we have a wide range of old and young on here I was curious to see what little things people miss from the match.

For example, I miss the playing of Jarrow Song before every match. Whatever happened to that?I bet if you listen to it you'll all know what I'm talking about.

I was looking on a NUFC facebook group and one of the lads posted this song

Anyone remember this being played at the game? My dad was telling me that the groundstaff would stamp their feet at the same time of the clapping and the Gallowgate would also join in :lol:

can remember clapping along to the Klaxons in the Gallowgate. just having a lol at the naffness of it but going along with it. My daughter two loves it now and dances along to it.

I loved the fact that the ground was full before kick off. Meant a better atmosphere and a bit more anticipation. Really annoys me that people saunter in just before kick off just to cram one extra pint in.

Also the announcement that the players were in the tunnel..

When we had terraces and there was no music as the teams were read out and came out to a loud roar from the crowd. Standing on the terraces with groups of mates, where the sining fans could gather together,

the great crack. and being swept all over either standing up or falling over and getting dragged all over when we scored.

Miss:

The chestnut seller on the old Gallowgate entrance.

Playing when it had snowed and not caring if everyone died.

Nut crunching tackles on really cold days.

Sitting on the climbing frame in the park and being able to see the old scoreboard. Sitting there all match with just this and the sound to know what was happening.

Kids standing at the front by the advertising and no-one caring.

Piss running down the terraces.

As already mentioned, the feeling death was an instant away as everyone moved together on the terrace (and, sadly, later we learned it was).

Swinging around the old crush barriers like an acrobat.

Football!

Don't miss:

The Nazis selling their crap magazines outside the ground (and inside).

Headhunters, ICF etc.

Gordon Lee's Black and White Army being sung (even though I can still hear it in my head).

Fencing

Piss running down the terraces.

I miss the singing section greatly.

Was up there for the season we returned to the Premier League, and had some amazing memories. The 4-4 atmosphere was electric.

Even if it was a boring 0-0 or a defeat I always enjoyed my afternoon at SJP because of the fans and the noise they created. Was so much fun. Really wish they'd bring it back. The atmosphere now is pathetic, but I understand why.

Same here, in fact, any atmosphere would be nice.

In an odd way, i also miss the steps up to Level 7 now, used to always run up them :lol:

What I miss most is standing and the atmosphere that it created, especially on a freezing day when everybody would jump up and down to keep warm.

I miss being able to go out on a Friday night and deciding not to go home but to head south to wherever we were playing because you could pay on the gate.  The daft thing is that we would go to every away game and only about half of those were planned, the others were spur of the moment when we were pissed (apart from the driver).