Things You Miss From SJP/Game Day

TheGuv

Going to games expecting a win.

Aye, remember thinking of every draw (or god forbid, defeat) as a big deal, points dropped. Still haven't managed to drill that out but it's obviously not the same.

Also concur with the brewery smell. I miss a lot of the people that used to sit around me. They could be knobheads but they seemed to care a lot more than anyone around me recently.

I also miss going at all this season. And I miss getting the metro in.

Don't smoke but for some reason miss smoking in the stadium. Every Saturday me dad would come home stinking of tabs. The nostalgic scent of cancer.

I do miss the scent a bit like. But I don't miss sitting with my flag over my nose the whole match while the guy in front chain smoked.

The club badge which was on top of the Leazes before it was extended. Never understood why it wasn't just switched to the Gallowgate.

Having big TVs on the concourses instead of these shite tiny ones which you can only see from up close.

The real sense of anticipation during the KK years and to a lesser extent the Robson years.

Shearer Shearer Shearer!

The atmosphere when the stadium only held 36k.

Being a youngun in the mid 90's when it was an amazing thing to manage to secure a ticket for a home cup game. Getting up at the crack of dawn to go and stand in the MASSIVE queues for a ticket; shitting yourself that there wouldn't be any left when you reached the front and then the unbridled joy when you and your mate got your hands on a pair and then being in awe of the place each and every time you went, the atmosphere, the stadium, the whole scene in general oh and we usually won. Cup games were magic back then.

Miss:

The chestnut seller on the old Gallowgate entrance.

Playing when it had snowed and not caring if everyone died.

Nut crunching tackles on really cold days.

Sitting on the climbing frame in the park and being able to see the old scoreboard. Sitting there all match with just this and the sound to know what was happening.

Kids standing at the front by the advertising and no-one caring.

p*ss running down the terraces.

As already mentioned, the feeling death was an instant away as everyone moved together on the terrace (and, sadly, later we learned it was).

Swinging around the old crush barriers like an acrobat.

Football!

Don't miss:

The Nazis selling their crap magazines outside the ground (and inside).

Headhunters, ICF etc.

Gordon Lee's Black and White Army being sung (even though I can still hear it in my head).

Fencing

p*ss running down the terraces.

Yes, I can hear the 'Gordon Lee's B&W Army' song too....reminds me of beating Coventry 4-0, Spurs 3-1 and Derby 4-3 in 75-76...after the LC Semi second leg with Spurs at SJP, I had to travel to London on the train for an interview the next day and even the Restaurant car attendant had a sign with it posted over the bar...!

Used to love the 'Toon Army, Toon Army' chant that used to ring around the ground in our promotion season under KK - would start in the Leazes and then they would sing ' Sing in the East stand', and we would all sing it, and so on...great days.

How did people pay for the peanuts?

With a tanner thrown with similarly "baseball pitcher" accuracy. At least that's the clouded romantic notion.

"peanuts, peanuts, tanner a bag - the more you eat the more you - shalalalala MacNammee, who the fucking hell is he? - the best centre half in history"

Apologies to non wrinklies.

Standing

Noise

Being able to scream something without half a stand staring at you

Every name on the team sheet getting a huge cheer from the entire crowd

Sneaking in and getting hauled over railing all the way around until I was in the corner

The floodlights and the standered cracker jack that would climb one for a better view

The scoreboard

Knocking on one of the old grey wooden doors in the corner of the leazes telling the steward who opened it "I'm one of Norms boys" and him letting you in for free. No idea at all who the fuck Norm is/was but I seen it happen one day and used at for about 5 seasons every home game, until the day where the answer from the cunt who opened the door was "and?"

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I miss Alan Robson as the stadium announcer and the massive flag that used to go round the east stand before kick off.

And I miss Tino. I really miss Tino