Things You Miss From SJP/Game Day

TheGuv

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I also miss sitting on the advertising hoardings every game at the gallowgate end when I was little, getting passed to the front through the terrace. Unreal

I miss the days when you would walk up to the stadium after spending the morning down the mines in Easington (this was well before the metro) and a smile and a nod would be enough to get you past the turnstiles. The attendance in those days was roughly around 200,000 (all standing) and if you were late you had to settle for watching the match from a pylon somewhere in Heaton. Course you'd get people who would just stay at the top of the pylon tower and not let others up (we used to call them "Pole-jimmies") so every now and then the power station would sent an electric charge through big enough to knock them off their perch. Probably wouldn't be allowed in these days where it's all health and safety gone mad.

I miss the days when you would walk up to the stadium after spending the morning down the mines in Easington (this was well before the metro) and a smile and a nod would be enough to get you past the turnstiles. The attendance in those days was roughly around 200,000 (all standing) and if you were late you had to settle for watching the match from a pylon somewhere in Heaton. Course you'd get people who would just stay at the top of the pylon tower and not let others up (we used to call them "Pole-jimmies") so every now and then the power station would sent an electric charge through big enough to knock them off their perch. Probably wouldn't be allowed in these days where it's all health and safety gone mad.

ah I miss the 80s

Guest Slippery Sam

I miss Alan Robson as the stadium announcer

WHAAAAAAAA?????  You must be him. That's the only logical explanation for that sentiment.

I miss the singing section greatly.

Was up there for the season we returned to the Premier League, and had some amazing memories. The 4-4 atmosphere was electric.

Even if it was a boring 0-0 or a defeat I always enjoyed my afternoon at SJP because of the fans and the noise they created. Was so much fun. Really wish they'd bring it back. The atmosphere now is pathetic, but I understand why.

Same here, in fact, any atmosphere would be nice.

In an odd way, i also miss the steps up to Level 7 now, used to always run up them :lol:

Packed it in after they closed the Leazes Corner, had enough with being fucked over by the club. Championship season was class, hammering teams every week, chants going on for well over 10 mins such as "We don't care about Ashley" & "We're Newcastle & we're going to win the league". Was like an away end and still annoys me to this day that they closed it. Hearing some good things about another singing section being given the go ahead next year though, so fingers crossed.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I miss Alan Robson as the stadium announcer

WHAAAAAAAA?????  You must be him. That's the only logical explanation for that sentiment.

"May the best team win...and we all know who that is..."

:lol:  :lol: I love Oakie.

Guest alijmitchell

Positivity - The belief that we can beat anyone on our day.

Atmosphere in the bars pre-match.

Atmosphere at the game.

This. Gave my season ticket up some years ago, but kept going to matches here and there. I used to get excited by thinking that we could beat anyone. All the matches I have been to since the end of bobby's era, have been attended with the feeling of, if we get lucky we could get a result. I used to expect us to put in a performance. But then I grew up with football through the 90s (born in 86) so I never truly saw the shit before.