Things You Miss From SJP/Game Day

TheGuv

The atmosphere when the stadium only held 36k.

Being a youngun in the mid 90's when it was an amazing thing to manage to secure a ticket for a home cup game. Getting up at the crack of dawn to go and stand in the MASSIVE queues for a ticket; shitting yourself that there wouldn't be any left when you reached the front and then the unbridled joy when you and your mate got your hands on a pair and then being in awe of the place each and every time you went, the atmosphere, the stadium, the whole scene in general oh and we usually won. Cup games were magic back then.

Queuing overnight was brilliant. Spent 14 hours in a freezing cold wind tunnel to see Man Utd beat us 6-2.

Miss walking up the steps to the Old Gallowgate.

Miss my dad perching me on one of them Stone Crush barriers to get a better view and then having the outline of all the little pebbles in my legs when i got home.

Going to a game and not knowing specifically where I would stand thinking the possibilities are endless then usually ending up in the exact same spot most of the time (just to the Milburn side of the Gallowgate for those interested)

Getting the Pink on the way home.

Great one, I used to love it. Especially when it didn't have the final score in!

Good one that. An alternative was crowding round the window of the electrical shop on Blackett St to see the final scores on the tele's.

Getting the Pink on the way home.

Great one, I used to love it. Especially when it didn't have the final score in!

Good one that. An alternative was crowding round the window of the electrical shop on Blackett St to see the final scores on the tele's.

Aye, something the mackems outdid us in by keeping their Football Echo or whatever it was called.

NCJ wankers :-)

:lol: Me dad's kept a copy of the last ever Pink, believing one day it might be worth something.

Clutching at straws I reckon.

Kept one too, sentimental reasons 'n that and one particular report therein.

Might be worth the price of a pint or two in a hundred years time  :)

Since we have a wide range of old and young on here I was curious to see what little things people miss from the match.

For example, I miss the playing of Jarrow Song before every match. Whatever happened to that?I bet if you listen to it you'll all know what I'm talking about.

I was looking on a NUFC facebook group and one of the lads posted this song

Anyone remember this being played at the game? My dad was telling me that the groundstaff would stamp their feet at the same time of the clapping and the Gallowgate would also join in :lol:

That second one was deffo played at the end of games. It was like a 'fuck me what's that shit?' moment. Maybe to make sure everyone fucked off sharpish post match.

Getting the train up to Central pre Metro days.

Sometimes getting off at Manors if their was to be even a hint of bother (they brought away fan trains into Manors)

Singing rivalry -  Scoreboard v Corner (Always a Cornerite me)

Getting the skin took off the end of my nose by a ice ball chucked from the scoreboard. Bastards!

The Leazes End - its closing!

Horrible fucking fences.

Trelford Mills.

The old main stand.

Supermac.

The Farmers Rest post match. Hazel the barmaid in particular.

Great memories.  Remember the old gallowgate vividly. Passing the 'Keegans' hot dog stands at the entrance to the turnstiles,  then the meandering climb up those stairs, before the lush green pitch appeared in front of you. Was always the scoreboard for me like, hence my forum name.

Guest chicken little

Up the stairs and through the turnstiles, along the concourse, stop for a piss, up more stairs and.. the first sight you have of the pitch. Especially, especially at evening games.

And a massive fucking roar at the end of Local Hero.

Guest chicken little

Also specific to night games, coming out into the cold and being warmed by a huddle of people, with the brewery just stinking.

Tom Hark at half time; jumping up and down like an idiot. Mate shouting she likes it instead of United. Walking up the concrete stairs up to the Gallowgate, buying sweets off the sellers walking around the cinder track (bloody awful they were). The smell of Bovril and the brewery. Throwing peanuts at the coppers as they were walking around. Standing and riding the wave when we scored.

Match days are so sanitised these days. You still get stories from away matches, but nothing really happens inside the ground in the home end these days. Even when there was only 14k or so there against someone shite in the old 2nd division there was usually something happening in the crowd. I guess I miss standing most of all - it opens up a world of possibilities.

Match days are so sanitised these days. You still get stories from away matches, but nothing really happens inside the ground in the home end these days. Even when there was only 14k or so there against someone shite in the old 2nd division there was usually something happening in the crowd. I guess I miss standing most of all - it opens up a world of possibilities.

Standing :sweetjesus: it's the ONLY way to watch football. Here's an embarrassing admission, when I watch us on the TV, I have to stand  :lol:

In the living room, standing on my own, like a cock  :smug:

Standing :sweetjesus: it's the ONLY way to watch football. Here's an embarrassing admission, when I watch us on the TV, I have to stand  :lol:

In the living room, standing on my own, like a cock  :smug:

I do this. Not like a cock, sadly, and not in the living room, but in the shed, jumping around, oohing and aahing, screaming and slumping. Still have to run in and tell the missus when we score and she'll glance away from Murder She Fucking Wrote for a second and say "yes, I think everyone heard you."

:okay:

Still run back out like an over-excited toddler, like. :lol:

The matchday experience is so fucked by the tippy-up seats and having to sit down immediately after moments of excitement, it just kills the joy. Safe standing is so doable.

Guest The_Optimistic

Enjoying going to the match

Being able to turn around and watch replays in the East Stand boxes

Black and white seats

Advertising hoardings falling over after a player crashed in to them

The fat b****** who used to sit near me (East Stand paddock, early 90s) and spin the ball on his finger taking the p*ss out of opposition before giving it back and in a derogatory way

Having to get there ultra early to make sure you got in if it wasn't all ticket

Good atmosphere

The owld codger I used to sit next too

Class, I used to sit bang on the half way line, front row of the east stand when I was young. 

I remember the fat b****** you are referring too.  I'll always remember when Beckham came to get the ball off him (I think we were winning at the time) he rolled the ball away before he could collect it.

I miss listening to Pearce swearing at the ball boys in front of me.