10 games gone: judge the season so far

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-judge-squad-after-5922288

Over the past ten or so years since I’ve become a manager, I’ve said the first ten games really and truly gives you a clear indication about where you are at. Sometimes it can be slightly distorted if you get injuries to key players, but nine times out of ten it’s pretty close.

Of course, you can have periods when you don’t do so well, but in terms of what you have and where you are, it does give you an indication.

You might only win three of those games, but you could have potentially won six, Therefore, you feel confident. You may have won six and sneaked a couple, so is that going to carry you forward?

So where are we at? 6/10 IMO, bang average. We're playing better football than last season and scoring goals, which is always nice. But the squad is still paper thin in some areas and we've been pretty fortunate that several players have hit unexpected form and Remy has hit the ground running. A terrible derby defeat and pitiful showings at Man City and Everton (plus yet another early exit from the only cup we can realistically hope to win) even out impressive showings against Liverpool and Chelsea and equalling our tally of away wins from last season already. Off the field is as embarrassing as ever, with the club stumbling from one farce to another thanks to the utter wankers in charge. I'm not sure how I could hate them any more.

http://i.imgur.com/GmMTsSf.png

I think we'll continue this topsy-turvy form all season and finish 10th. Pardew to get a contract extension in the summer.

I'd happily take 9th or 10th, so if we are there or there about at the turn of the year then a season of nothingness is better than the alternative under this regime.

Just ultimately feels like another year wasted, another year a few players get older and look for a better chance of being at a club that are prepared to go places.

I think this season and how it will pan out, safe but unspectacular is what Ashley wants every season till he's old and grey. That's our future.

7/10, done well to bounce back back from last seasons horror show. Got a much better team spirit within the squad whilst playing much better football. Still inconsistent but we are improving and certain players are showing signs of progressing very well and looking exciting. Looking forward to see how we keeping progressing as a side and if we can really sure our true potential on a regular basis.

Complete meh.

Little moments of happiness here and there, such as yesterday but the bigger picture is complete mediocrity.  I think that'll be the story of our season.

Possible highlights to look forward to are getting a derby win at home and being in with a decent shout of breaking our Old Trafford hoodoo next month.  Nowt more than that.

I'd like to point out too, that before the Everton game certain people said we would be lucky to get 1 point from the next 6 games...we've obtained 7 from 5 of them. Pretty good going despite being served up some utter shite against the scum.

Had I just looked at our squad I'd be expecting 7th-8th finish. With our manager I'd expect us to be 14th-15th. So yeah, I'm ok with the position, not so much with the performances. Way too inconsistent.