10 games gone: judge the season so far

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I consider myself to be a fairly balanced supporter with fairly modest demands of the club. For the squad we have, 14 points from these opening games is just about the minimum I would have expected/demanded. There's been a lot of shite football and plenty of good football, meaning that we are completely right to be 9th.

Looking at it purely from a 'points' point of view, there has been one utterly deplorable result that has been counterbalanced by one fantastic result (Mackems/Chelsea). Hull was absolutely rancid too, but this weekend has readdressed the balance and the points total remains acceptable.

I can see us meandering along in the same vane. Lots of shite with enough good to ensure we're around 8th-12th, thus missing another opportunity to make a good season for ourselves in this transitional Premier League period.

Average.

Have the ability to be better but don't have the consistency.... and that is the club as a whole not just the players.

I think we'll end up about 9th.... aka going nowhere and fatman won't be pressured to make the investment to push on into the pack of teams like Everton.

Guest bimpy474

Fact is for the club, finishing 10th-12th is perfect for them.

Yep and i dont understand it. Financially maybe (as Ashley doesn't want to spend) but who wants to just watch their team finish 10th-12th year in year out. Ashley is one weird wanker.

Yep and i dont understand it. Financially maybe (as Ashley doesn't want to spend) but who wants to just watch their team finish 10th-12th year in year out. Ashley is one weird wanker.

As long as he can advertise SD in the Premier League for free then it's job done.

Yep and i dont understand it. Financially maybe (as Ashley doesn't want to spend) but who wants to just watch their team finish 10th-12th year in year out. Ashley is one weird w*****.

Especially he's apparently a "gambling man" he's got to be the most safe gambler i have ever seen in my life.

Probably goes to the craps table and puts a quid down and gets told to leave.

Guest bimpy474

As long as he can advertise SD in the Premier League for free then it's job done.

Correct answer, as soon as that stops working he'll sell. Just imo like.

Guest bimpy474

Yep and i dont understand it. Financially maybe (as Ashley doesn't want to spend) but who wants to just watch their team finish 10th-12th year in year out. Ashley is one weird w*****.

Especially he's apparently a "gambling man" he's got to be the most safe gambler i have ever seen in my life.

Probably goes to the craps table and puts a quid down and gets told to leave.

He really is one hard bloke to work out, being a fucking hermit makes it hard for anyone too mind :lol:

When Pardew called him a fan, that's the biggest load of shit going, the one thing he isn't is a fan. If he was he wouldn't treat the club the way he does.

overall we're doing okay, hopefully the form will settle to more consistent performances like yesterdays as opposed to last weeks. Right now I'd say were on for 8th to 12th depending but if we actually had someone in charge of transfers who had a braincell we'd be looking for a new striker and wide player and if we got those I'd feel a lot more confident about an outside chance of pushing for Europe.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Mid-Table Mediocrity

Though I think we can go one better if we do well in the transfer market.

Mid-Table Mediocrity

Guest bimpy474

At the minute we're basically top of the shit teams. Should be aiming to stay there as a minimum.

Oh joy, sitting upon the top of a shit heap. Small mercies i suppose.

Not much else to add. Some inspired performances (Chelsea, Liverpool), some dire performances (Sunderland, Hull).

As is, we'll finish mid-table. I'm still concerned about the lack of depth at striker and winger, the plight of Papiss, and the revolving door at CB. Lose Remy and we'll be in trouble.

Man City away, Everton away, Hull City at home, mackems away- they won't be the last of these woeful performances and tactical incompetencies. If people think that the odd home win against a 'big' team is enough for a club like NUFC, then fair enough, but this season already reeks of mediocrity.

Better than last season (I think?), and probably the best we can hope for under Pardew. The mackem result was disgraceful, but I can't help but feel the mackems have that mental edge over Pardew now after two wins in a row, because we've been shambolic in both despite having a much better team. We've look absolutely terrible for the majority of the season, but football is a results game and we're doing pretty well considering we've a League One manager and a weak squad in terms of depth.

It's hard to predict how the rest of the season will go having looked at the first ten games, because we've shown before under Pardew that we can suddenly hit terrible runs of form. Infact at this stage last year we started a run of two wins in 3 months.

Off the pitch is once again a shambles that we've come to expect under Ashley.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I think we're playing and passing much better than the last 2 seasons combined but we've got to improve defensively to have a crack at top 6/7. If we can also repair Papiss and get some consistency from Ben Arfa then who knows.

Guest icemanblue

'Mixed bag'. Will probably describe the rest of the season, unless we find some sort of consistency.

Get this lad on the MotD sofa.

:lol: MotD2.

I don't think it's a great mystery why we struggle at times, we have some quality players but they don't quite have the mental strength to pull games around from losing positions or arrest a bad run. This means that if we get on a good run the pressure will alleviate and we'll play more freely and go on the runs like we did 2 seasons and have a comfortable season, but if we continue to be bitty and win some lose some we'll probably have a very unremarkable one. There are signs we have improved a bit, we have responded better in games after a defeat and we are playing better than we used to at times, so maybe the fragility that marked last season isn't there, but we'll still lose games like the derby when there's too much pressure on the players (and do ok in games like liverpool or chelsea when noone expected anything). If we beat spurs somehow and then carried that head of steam on to the next few more likely winnable (iirc is it norwich then wba?) fixtures i'll think we'll probably be alright as the relegation scrap won't really come around.