Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

We've spent forever chopping and changing formations to absolutely no avail with this squad, but I do feel like a switch to a flat back four probably should be on the cards. We were desperate in the wide defensive positions yesterday. It's a pity Dummett is still injured because he and Manquillo replacing Ritchie and Murphy (neither of whom are even defenders) would many a big difference imo. 

Will he go 4 at the back? Thought 3 at the back yesterday left loads of space on the flanks for them to get in to. I'd ditch it but not sure he will. 

Dubs

Manq   Schar   Fern   Lewis

Shelvey Willock Ritchie

Joe                 ASM

Wilson

I'd play Ritchie in mid where he can protect Lewis. You can't play Lewis with just ASM infront of him, he'd be destroyed, but we do need to get him involved and up to speed.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Replace Ritchie with Almiron. 

Good shout but don't think Ritchie is going anywhere with Howe trusting him. If anything He'd put Ritchie in for Lewis and Almiron in and Lewis missing out.

Dubravka

Manquillo - Fernandez - Lascelles - Lewis

Shelvey - Hayden

Joelinton            Almiron             Saint-Max

Wilson

Far too many changes so it'll never happen, but: this gives us actual defenders at full-back; Fede beats Schar in a conventional CB position; Hayden brings tackling capability to CM; Miggy coming back in and being made useful is a no-brainer. 

Actually funny that a club with the capacity to put that team out is bottom of the division. That's why I think we're a bit of a unique case. We're not a bottom three team on paper by a long shot. 

• 1 month later...

So if we do bring in 6 new players which 6 are we dumping off the squad list?

Going to be harsh on at least one player. 

• Gillespie is the obvious first choice.
  • In defence I'd dump Clark but I think we will dump Fernandez, could see Dummett getting left out
  • Midfield - Hendrick? Maybe even Longstaff
  • Strikers - Gayle

Send Woodman out on loan again. 

Hendrick, Krafth and Clark can all get in the sea.  Wouldn't mind Ritchie going either. 

Think we'll have to keep Gayle as we need three strikers if a new one comes in. He'll leave at the end of the season. 

Would've sold Hayden as well, but he'll probably stay as he's injured.

Would love it if one or both Longstaff's made it here, but I must admit I doubt it. 

God, we have a shite squad. 

17 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Going to be harsh on at least one player. 

• Gillespie is the obvious first choice.
  • In defence I'd dump Clark but I think we will dump Fernandez, could see Dummett getting left out
  • Midfield - Hendrick? Maybe even Longstaff
  • Strikers - Gayle

Darlow is one I could see us offloading. Dubs as first choice with Woodman and 2nd and Gillespie 3rd.

Clark for sure but as for the other defenders it could be any really. Would be harsh on Dummett but that's reality now. 

Hendrick is gone I reckon, he's barely featured this season. I think both Longstaffs could do with a loan move to a decent league/club.

Gayle will interest any club in the Championship so I can imagine he'll go fairly soon once we get a striker in.

Edited by Mazzy

who we ditching to make room in the squad?

GK's - gillespie and maybe woodman out on loan again or Darlow away?

defenders - clark, possibly dummett, krafth, maybe fernandez?

Midfielders - hendrick

Forwards - Gayle

On 05/01/2022 at 17:45, toontownman said:

U21s (like Botman) don’t have to be registered so it doesn’t have to be 6 for 6

If we are looking to bring in both Carlos and Botman, I think this is the setup or plan we may have:

- Botman (tall, imposing prospect who is left-footed, comfortable on the ball, goes about doing his job and leading by example)

- Diego Carlos (vocal, imposing, experienced player with a rough competitive edge. In contrast to the lack of leadership we currently have who meekly accept decisions. Complements Botman.)

- Lascelles (current captain who needs to up his game. Okay with him fighting for his place or being a backup)

- Schar (30. try to extend his contract for a yet or two, or keep him until end of season if he doesn't. Replace with new CB if he goes then as three new CBs in now is not a good idea.)

- Clark (32, past it. Sell now to make space for Carlos' registration)

- Fernandez (33 this Feb, keep then sell at end of season)

- Dummett (30, been injured for some time. Consider selling at end of season)

Edited by LRD

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we’re working towards being here at the end of the window in terms of best XI and shape:

Dubravka

Schär New New

Trippier New Joelinton New

New Saint-Maximin

Wilson

3-4-2-1/3-4-3/5-4-1, whatever you want to call it. The direct backups would effectively be:

Darlow

Fernandez Lascelles Dummett

Manquillo Longstaff Hayden Lewis

Fraser Almiron

Wood

Krafth, Shelvey, Willock (almost forgot him he’s so useless atm), and Murphy as the extras, provided one of the signings is U21. If not, then we have to lose another CM or just not register one. I’d like that to be Shelvey, but it’s more likely to be Longstaff or Hayden.

Move on Gillespie, Clark, Hendrick, Ritchie, and Gayle, by hook or by crook. Loan out Woodman and Shortstaff again.

Still think we’d more likely go down than not, but we might put up a proper fight, and we’ll have started the clear out that should have been underway seasons ago.

Just now, Yorkie said:

I wouldn't be moving Joelinton, he's doing great in his current role. 

I mean he would have to move if we go 3 at the back as it's a completely different formation. Anyway we've been playing Shelvey infront of the back 4 which seems daft to me, Joelinton offers much more protection and is far better on the ball. If we brought a CDM in then they would probably slot in there though, but the more I think of it and the more I see Joelinton the more I feel we really need creativity in the middle more than someone to break up play.

2 mobile CMs is a must - like I said yesterday - it’s killing us 

added to that the binning of Lascelles - even for FF in the short term 

then there’s the RW position - I hate Fraser 

my ideal scenario is to switch to a 4231

with Fofana and Kamara in CM - Martial type out wide - V der Beek in the middle 

all a pipe dream - we are down